AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basic Yamaha AV receiver HTR-2064. This receiver has passive subwoofer. So I recently bought a Yamaha NS-SW200, powered subwoofer.
I have a 5.1 setup and I watch Blu-ray contents. The problem is : When there is heavy bass, it is muddy. Normal bass is very good. But when there is heavy bass, it outputs a strange sound(like muffled bass).
I have recorded and provided a link with audio file(738 kb) by playing 'Ralph breaks the internet trailer', where you can hear the strange bass.(Particularly at 0:05 , 0:15 and 0:38 sec)
Link : muddy bass.mp4
Also please note:
  • I have high quality sub woofer cable.
  • Crossover is adjusted.
  • subwoofer phase is checked both Norm and Rev.
Please help to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hate to tell you, but it’s an 8” sub that rolls off at 28hz. It just can’t carry the weight of a serious soundtrack.
How big is the room? This is a big factor.
The resolution unfortunately is to get a more competent subwoofer. You’re asking too much of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply @Polyrythm1k .:)
I earlier watched the same sound tracks with 6" yamaha passive subwoofer(YHT-196 package), it was good but the bass was not strong, which is why I bought an 8" subwoofer. You are saying that it cannot carry the weight of a serious sound track. But my question is : If it cannot output such low freq(below 28 hz), it must be silent at those low freq, right? But it produces strange muffled bass. I'm worried if my sub woofer has some manufacturing defect?:confused:

·
Registered
207 Posts
i hate to agree but basically yamaha modern subs are quite useless. see they rate your sub at 130w but with meaningless specs, the amp inside is much less. their spiral port is just blah blah.

i own an older (2001) yamaha sw800 10" with a real 250w amp that can do quite well in a smaller room. it would smash these newer subs yamaha make.

i would suggest try placing the sub behind your seat, dont push it too hard and look for a 2nd hand 10" but preferably a 12" sub. you might be able to use the yammy as a 2nd sub but not as a main sub in my opinion.

i understand that some countries seem to get the lower end subs in an affordable price levels and the same happens in my country. just have to keep looking at 2nd at the 2nd hand market i think.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for your reply @Polyrythm1k .:)
I earlier watched the same sound tracks with 6" yamaha passive subwoofer(YHT-196 package), it was good but the bass was not strong, which is why I bought an 8" subwoofer. You are saying that it cannot carry the weight of a serious sound track. But my question is : If it cannot output such low freq(below 28 hz), it must be silent at those low freq, right? But it produces strange muffled bass. I'm worried if my sub woofer has some manufacturing defect?:confused:
Well it depends a little on how Yamaha implemented any dsp or high pass filtering. A normal ported subwoofer rolls off at 24 decibels per octave below whatever point it’s tuned to. It doesn’t just stop at say, 28hz with nothing below that. It tapers off. I don’t what the 6” sub you used was, but it could have had more aggressive filtering to keep it from making bad sounds, as it would theoretically be easier to do with a much smaller sub.
Something I forgot to ask was if you level matched it. Running subs a little hot is very common and that could be a factor. Also, room size and placement matter. How big is the room?
As mentioned, near field placement could definitely help but if you have to run a higher XO to blend with smaller mains, you might have localization issues too. I guess I would find out if you can return it. Quality bass is an investment and imo even if you have to save for a bit, is worth it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I feel confident in saying that the published specs on that sub are nothing more than marketing fluff, because an 8" sub with 130W RMS will not give you any usable output near 28Hz. Period. The noises you're hearing is a cry for help because it's being pushed way past it's limits.

That said, the only resolution here (as already stated) is for you to get a more capable (REAL) sub.

Have look at this thread to give you an idea of what's available in the entry level class and see if there is something that you can purchase in your region. I also recommend reading this thread to help give you a better idea of what to keep in mind whenever making a decision on what sub to purchase

Lastly, please take the time to do your due diligence prior to making any purchase decisions. Otherwise, you could wind up right back where you started, and ultimately just hemorrhaging money in the process.

Good luck...and be patient. ;)

Darrell

Reactions: Deaf-Forever

·
Registered
558 Posts
I feel confident in saying that the published specs on that sub are nothing more than marketing fluff, because an 8" sub with 130W RMS will not give you any usable output near 28Hz. Period. The noises you're hearing is a cry for help because it's being pushed way past it's limits.

That said, the only resolution here (as already stated) is for you to get a more capable (REAL) sub.

Have look at this thread to give you an idea of what's available in the entry level class and see if there is something that you can purchase in your region. I also recommend reading this thread to help give you a better idea of what to keep in mind whenever making a decision on what sub to purchase

Lastly, please take the time to do your due diligence prior to making any purchase decisions. Otherwise, you could wind up right back where you started, and ultimately just hemorrhaging money in the process.

Good luck...and be patient. ;)

Darrell
Totally agree. Throwing good money after bad doesn’t help at all. The good news is that he asked before picking the shovel back up.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Totally agree. Throwing good money after bad doesn’t help at all. The good news is that he asked before picking the shovel back up.
Yeah, that’s where a lot of people that come here totally fail. Being patient and taking the time to research and ask the right questions is one of the most important things that I’ve learned from being on these forums.

Reactions: Polyrythm1k
1 - 9 of 9 Posts