Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to say hi all, verry nice forums

so here is my question, am going to get a new receiver, and I have this 2 choices, Yamaha HTR-5660 Or Kenwood VR-7070A, can someone please tell which of this 2 receivers is better, and why

Thanks in advanced

Sorry about my engles

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both receivers sound powerfull, but not particularly well in music reproduction.

Yamahas have a zilion DSP processing modes wich you will not use, but options are there. Kenwood is THX certified, has enough usefull DSP modes including Circle Surround wich betters PL2 and DTS Neo for cable tv and non DD movies. Finally the kenwoods use RF remote control which will let you control it from a diferent room and or hide the receiver.

In my opinion for better sound with less bells and whistles try NAD. Even the lower end T743 will offer round even sound as oposed to the etched and trebble prominent sound, or muffled sound offered by many lower priced receivers.

My two cents.

yoyoc

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have the 7070. It is great for HT, not the best for music - but there are compromises at this price. Go search on 7070 in the audio/ receiver forum.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys , i care more for movies,i dont listen to much music,just went i am on my comp,i listen my mp3 i will make a search

·
Registered
37 Posts
... which is the same as the 7070 mentioned but with black faceplate instead of silver and a diff. remote.

Pertaining the 6070 I stress that the sound quality is not the worse but over a short time you will not be satisfied as the center channel voices with show a troublesome quality.

I would suggest you audition something else before you desition even if theter is your main objective. Even a NAD T743 ( 55w/ch and 5.1 amplification) will better the other units mentiond.

My humble opinion.

yoyoc

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the 5660. I really like it. It has a good amount of clean power for a receiver in this price range (I paid $300), and it does have pre-outs for all channels. It's true -- I never use all the fancy DSP modes, but I'm more than happy with the standard DD EX, DTS ES, PL II, etc. The night mode is very useful, and it has plenty of inputs/outputs.

I haven't used the Kenwood, so I can't comment on it.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
yoyoc

7070 doesn't have RF. Dropped it to save $. Interesting your center problem - receiver or speaker issue?

Yeah, the NAD is better quality, but at least 30% more cost if both are at discount prices. I shopped NAD for my stereo, but ended up with Rotel.

7070 is nice for HT at a low price point. The one I'd probably compare to it is the Panasonic XR45.

The 7070 matches feature-for-feature with what was listed one post up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Feature wise the KEnwood is great. Don't get me wrong.

More than enough power, enough DSP processing without getting into the exageration and even more speaker customization setup than the NADs. But the sound quality even in movies altimately was not satifiying.

Some people have never heard a propoerly setup system and will not notice the lacking qualities until one is heard. I have and was left unsatisfied with the KW sound quality wich was especially aparent in music repro.

The center channel problem was not speaker related, I tried the center with the NAD and it sounded wonderfull, not so with the KW.

At the price point the KW is a nice choice, but if my recomendation is to be given it must go to the NAD T743 or other model.

yoyoc

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes - I agree all the way. Just that extra 30-50% cost of the NAD won't work for everybody. 7070 is a great step up from HTIB and Sony DE stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.