AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im looking into a new receiver, right now i have a Realistic stereo. I have no idea what type it is other then "Realistic stereo concertmate" and that it is 2-channel, It does say 60Hz 40w on the back of it, I have two speakers for it, two onkyo 5w 8 ohm PD - 1262A speakers that came with it but re-wired because the old connections went bad. The two receivers i was looking into.

Pioneer: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-823-K

Yamaha: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-s300/?mode=model

As for what i would use with the receivers i will most likely start out with the 2 onkyos i have and then buy a full set of proper speakers.

I see some people ask for what kind of music i listen to and what all i would hook up to the receiver i would have my PC and my TV with dvd/vcr, As for the music i listen to... just about everything besides country and pop, but mostly very heavy metal/screamo.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I can't comment on the Pioneer, but my son has the Yamaha R-S300 and it is a phenomenal stereo receiver for the price. Very clean looking, and powers his bookshelves with a ton of power. He's never had it up past 1/3 volume because his ears would bleed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had both and have been happy with both. In the $500 price range I would probably go with yamaha. I found their receivers in that price range to sound better and are a little more refined with a better built quality than the pioneers. Once getting into and above $600 they both are great brands to go with IMO. I find yamaha to be a little bit brighter than the pioneer which for me is good because I like somewhat bright sound. If you like a warmer sound, pioneer may be the better choice. But really, it's all up to your ears and what features you need in your given price range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.