AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Yamaha projector and a Stewart Greyhawk 110 screen. I would appreciate if anybody familiar with this set could give me any feedback since this is my first experience with projectors. Is 110 inches (diagonal) a good size? Is that true that the greyhawk will make the picture too soft compared to any other screen? I decided for it in favor of better blacks.

Any comment on the fan noise?

Many thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
GrayHawk will not be "soft". I don't know where you got that idea. It will give you better contrast and bolder colors. You give up one unit of white, but you pick up 3 units of black. The right size depends on the size of your room and how far back from the screen you will be seated.

As for the projector, it is a decent XGA DLP. The only question that one might raise is why not invest in the newer generation

projectors with HD1 chip (i.e. Sharp 9000, Seleco HT300)? They would seem to be the future in terms of HT.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete. The idea of "soft" came from an article I read about the greyhawk. It says that you need to sharp the contrast a bit more in order to compensate the loss due to the negative gain (0.95) imposed by the Greyhawk. (published in AVI Nov edition).

The main reason why I decided for the Yamaha was because that's what I could see in Central Florida. For less tha 10000 bucks my choices where Sony 11ht and the Yama. I never saw the Sharp here in Central Florida and in my opinion the Yama was better than the Seleco because I plan to use its DVI input .

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already bought the Yama. I didn't install it yet because my Greyhawk screen will take a month to be delivered. Could you please tell me what is this "rainbow" you mentioned? Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Slimoli:

If you have viewed DLP and are not bothered by rainbows, do yourself a favour and don't try to figure out what they are. I don't see them and I don't try to.

Although alot of people on this forum have dismissed the Yamaha, I question how many people have actually seen it, at least properly calibrated. I think alot of people are hung up on hype and specs.

I spent alot of time with the Sharp, Sony 11HT and the Sanyo PLV 60 among other projectors. After much comparison, and some difficulty getting over the fact that the unit is not native 16X9, which is pretty much the only aspect ratio I watch, I decided to purchase the Yamaha. I have watched over 200 hours on it and continue to be impressed. I am glad I didn't buy the Sharp. I truly believe that the Yamaha uses better optics and the build quality is better. Don't start second guessing your purchase. Just enjoy the Yamaha. The DVI is a plus and the unit is user friendly and stunning to watch. Combine it with an HTPC and you will have no regrets.

Have you seen the Yamaha with a grayhawk. I haven't. As you know, the Yamaha is only rated at 800 Ansi Lumens. Although I find it bright enough to watch in all controlled lighting conditions, I have sconces and potlighting, I wonder how well it would perform on a gray screen. I find the black level and contrast to be excellent without a grey screen. I saw the Sharp Z9000 on both a 1.3 gain and the grayhawk. I found it dark on the 1.3 gain and too dark on the grayhawk. You may want to reconsider the greyhawk or at least try to demo the Yamaha on one before you commit.

If you do purchase the grayhawk or see a demo of the Yamaha on it, please share your impressions.

Good luck

Brian

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments,Brian. As I said , the deal is done . I already purchased the Yama and I'm just waiting for the Greyhawk to be delivered (takes 4 weeks). I compared the Greyhawk and another screen from Da Lite with 1.1 gain. The Greyhawk is actually darker but it looks more "film like" . All the material that I've seen was film and I intend to basicaly watch films in HD from satellite and DVD. I am pretty sure that if my main interest was sports I would go for the brighter screen.

I didn't have the opportunity to compare the projector to many others since I don't live in LA or NY. I was planning to buy the Sony 10HT and when I saw the Yamaha I got convinced that it is good enough for me.

I don't understand what is the difference between 16X9 in "native" mode or "non native" mode. Everything I watched so far was in 16X9 and I didn't notice any problem. Can you tell me what is the issue?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Slimoli:

I believe you're asking what the difference is between playing 16:9 material on a 16:9 panel v. a 4:3 panel. Theoretically the native 16:9 projector will use the entire panel for 16:9 material and will use its maximum resolution. For example the Sanyo PLV 60 is rated at 1366 x768 resolution. It should therefore display an anamorphic DVD at this resolution, using the full panel. The problem is getting a source to output at that resolution. Some seem to have had success with HTPCs, many have not. I am not aware of any external scalers that output at this resolution, mind you I haven't looked around in quite awhile and I imagine that there may be product out there that is now capable of doing it.

A 4:3 panel on the other hand, or non-native 16:9 projector, will only use a portion of the panel and in the case of a projector with a resolution of 1024 x 768, it will output a 16:9 signal at approximately 1024 x 577. The result is a less bright image at a lower resolution.

This, however, does not mean that the native 16:9 projector will have a better image. On DVD it currently outputs at 480p. Both non and native 16:9 projectors have sufficient resolution. NTSC satellite is, I believe 480i at best.

HDTV should be a different story. Theoretically the 16:9 panel should produce a better image than the 4:3 panel. Image quality, however, does not only depend on resolution and brightness. The quality of the optics, contrast ratio, format etc. will make a huge difference.

If you want to use the full 4:3 panel with a 16:9 image, you can purchase a third party lens such as the ISCO II or Panamorph. If you are not familiar with these lenses and are interested in one research this forum as there is a ton of information about them and how they work. As you probably know there appears to be major problems with accessing the Panamorph. Check this out before ordering one.

Hope this answers your question.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.