AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am currently looking at the Yamaha R-S500 and the A-S500 for a 2.0 AV system. I need no modern 'bells and whistles' as all the sources will be analogue inputs. Looking at a turntable, CD/SACD player, BD/DVD player and LD player. The majority of use will be for vinyl and CD but since I have a TV in the room I would like to view DVD, Blu-ray and LaserDisc (2-channel) when I get around to it.

Any advice on which unit over the other or an alternative unit (within +/- 100USD) would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Just be sure the unit you buy has the right connections for what you want to do. I assume the major difference between them will be in those fancy modern features you don't care about.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Why laser disk? I would just get an Oppo player for all your source needs, and then pick up a stereo receiver or AVR if you ever want to expand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why laser disk? I would just get an Oppo player for all your source needs, and then pick up a stereo receiver or AVR if you ever want to expand.
The LaserDisc player is for... playing LaserDiscs.
I like the Oppo units but buying one would just duplicate equipment I already own.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just be sure the unit you buy has the right connections for what you want to do. I assume the major difference between them will be in those fancy modern features you don't care about.
Both of the units have the connections I need with the R-S500 being a stereo receiver and the A-S500 being an integrated amplifier. I can live without a tuner but beside that is there really a big difference between the two?
Most of my time is spent with multi-channel stuff so what should be a simple decision is difficult for me.
Thanks for the great reply!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The LaserDisc player is for... playing LaserDiscs.
I like the Oppo units but buying one would just duplicate equipment I already own.
Thanks.
Do you already own LDs? I just don't see any reason to dig up a dead technology like that. It will probably be cheaper to buy a player like the Oppo, than to buy a bunch of separates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you already own LDs? I just don't see any reason to dig up a dead technology like that. It will probably be cheaper to buy a player like the Oppo, than to buy a bunch of separates.
Thanks for trying to help me out on this and apologies if I was not clear.
Yes I own LaserDiscs, and lots of them, and multiple players so the format is alive and well for me (and lots of others as well).
All of the equipment I mentioned in the original post I already own so I just needed advice on the two Yamaha units.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If I have it correct, the A-S500 has a slightly beefier power supply section (larger filter caps), and it has more heat sinking (separate heat sinks for left and right channels0. So if you're pushing it towards its limits, it probably outperforms the R-S500. If you're listening at more modest levels, I doubt there is any audible difference. The R-S500 has the added am/fm tuner.

Since you mention you'll sometimes view video in this system, I'd get an AVR instead of either one of these two units. But if that's not the route you want, I understand.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I think what you really want are the RN500 Network Receiver, or the AS501 integrated amp.

To connect your TV, your TV must either have Analog (RCA) Outs, or your Stereo much at Optical Digital Audio In. Both work well, but the AS501 has a built-in DAC with Optical and Coaxial inputs, that makes it possible to connect just about any TV on the market to your Stereo system.

The typically Digital Optical Audio out, will not give you true HD BluRay grade Audio, but it will give you Audio better than CD quality (16b/48k). Better than CD Quality is not bad, not bad at all. I'm more than satisfied with it for my Stereo Movie watching.

The AS501 is pretty straight forward at 85w/ch, and of course the built in DAC.

The RN500 Network Receiver has 80w/ch, plus the ability to Stream Audio from local network storage or from the Internet, and it has Digital Inputs, as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS501B/Yamaha-A-S501-Black.html?tp=34948

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN500/Yamaha-R-N500.html?tp=47041

Both are about $550. The Integrated amp is probably the better choice if you don't need the Streaming Capability. Remember, this is AUDIO Streaming, not movie streaming.

Unless you are 100% sure that your TV has Analog Audio Outs, then I would not get the AS500. A external DAC of similar quality, though perhaps a bit more versatile, will cost in the neighborhood of $300. So, the built in DAC is something of a bargain.

Yamaha does make a radio Tuners, if you feel the need to add one to the Integrated amp in the future ($250)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022TS500/Yamaha-T-S500.html

Yamaha also makes a proprietary Bluetooth Receiver, so you could send music directly from a Smart Phone or other Smart Device.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022YBA11/Yamaha-YBA-11.html

You can buy not-proprietary Bluetooth Receivers for a very similar price.

I think if you plan to connect the TV to the system, then you pretty much want an amp that has an Optical input.

The Yamaha's all have a MM PHONO Input as well.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I have it correct, the A-S500 has a slightly beefier power supply section (larger filter caps), and it has more heat sinking (separate heat sinks for left and right channels0. So if you're pushing it towards its limits, it probably outperforms the R-S500. If you're listening at more modest levels, I doubt there is any audible difference. The R-S500 has the added am/fm tuner.

Since you mention you'll sometimes view video in this system, I'd get an AVR instead of either one of these two units. But if that's not the route you want, I understand.
Thanks; that is exactly the sort of advice (and possibly a bit of validation) I needed.
Unless I find a way to talk myself out of it I will pull the trigger on the A-S500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think what you really want are the RN500 Network Receiver, or the AS501 integrated amp.

To connect your TV, your TV must either have Analog (RCA) Outs, or your Stereo much at Optical Digital Audio In. Both work well, but the AS501 has a built-in DAC with Optical and Coaxial inputs, that makes it possible to connect just about any TV on the market to your Stereo system.

The typically Digital Optical Audio out, will not give you true HD BluRay grade Audio, but it will give you Audio better than CD quality (16b/48k). Better than CD Quality is not bad, not bad at all. I'm more than satisfied with it for my Stereo Movie watching.

The AS501 is pretty straight forward at 85w/ch, and of course the built in DAC.

The RN500 Network Receiver has 80w/ch, plus the ability to Stream Audio from local network storage or from the Internet, and it has Digital Inputs, as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS501B/Yamaha-A-S501-Black.html?tp=34948

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN500/Yamaha-R-N500.html?tp=47041

Both are about $550. The Integrated amp is probably the better choice if you don't need the Streaming Capability. Remember, this is AUDIO Streaming, not movie streaming.

Unless you are 100% sure that your TV has Analog Audio Outs, then I would not get the AS500. A external DAC of similar quality, though perhaps a bit more versatile, will cost in the neighborhood of $300. So, the built in DAC is something of a bargain.

Yamaha does make a radio Tuners, if you feel the need to add one to the Integrated amp in the future ($250)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022TS500/Yamaha-T-S500.html

Yamaha also makes a proprietary Bluetooth Receiver, so you could send music directly from a Smart Phone or other Smart Device.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022YBA11/Yamaha-YBA-11.html

You can buy not-proprietary Bluetooth Receivers for a very similar price.

I think if you plan to connect the TV to the system, then you pretty much want an amp that has an Optical input.

The Yamaha's all have a MM PHONO Input as well.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks for the input!
I am pretty old school so most of the features on the two units I would never use. This is just for a simple system (all analogue outputs) in a small space, not a dedicated listening room or home theatre. I will mostly listen to vinyl and CD (occasional SACD) and once in a while watch something on BD, DVD or LD.

People keep telling me to stop drinking the 12in Kool-Aid (LaserDisc and vinyl) but I just keep on spinning them...

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Thanks for the input!
I am pretty old school so most of the features on the two units I would never use. This is just for a simple system (all analogue outputs) in a small space, not a dedicated listening room or home theatre. I will mostly listen to vinyl and CD (occasional SACD) and once in a while watch something on BD, DVD or LD.

How are you going to connect your TV to your Stereo? Until you can answer that question, you don't know what you need.

Your current TV might have Analog Outputs, but they are become rarer and rarer all the time. If you need to connect ANY TV to the Stereo, then the Stereo needs to have a Optical Input.

Now perhaps you don't need all the streaming features if you have primarily Physical Media, it is still worth getting the very basic AS501 with DAC and Optical input. The Yamaha Integrated Amp is probably better quality than the Stereo Receiver. Though the Stereo Receivers are good value.

Up until recently, I used a Yamaha RX-797 Stereo Receiver (100w/ch), which is about the equivalent of the newer R-S700. BUT ...and this is important... I only buy TVs that have Analog Outputs. But, like I said, that is getting harder all the time. So I upgraded to an Stereo Amp that has an Optical Input. Great for music, and very very good for Movies.

Make sure you understand what you really need before you make a commitment.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are you going to connect your TV to your Stereo? Until you can answer that question, you don't know what you need...

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks again for the advice.
I was just asking about the two Yamaha units.
With the equipment I mentioned the TV is a simple display device and has no need to send an audio signal, analogue or digital, to the stereo receiver or integrated amplifier. For lack of a better phrase it will just 'sit there' until I power it up and select the video input corresponding to the video output device I may wish to use. Most of the time it will probably not be powered up.

Sorry if there was any confusion and thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Thanks again for the advice.
I was just asking about the two Yamaha units.
With the equipment I mentioned the TV is a simple display device and has no need to send an audio signal, analogue or digital, to the stereo receiver or integrated amplifier. ...

Sorry if there was any confusion and thanks again for the help.
Why would you watch a movie using the crappy TV speakers when you have a great sound system sitting right there?

I'm not trying to be contrary; I'm simply hoping to get you to see the bigger picture.

I too have predominately a Music system with primarily Vinyl, and secondarily CD. Any MP3 or pure digital files are for casual listening.

But I also enjoy Movies, and my system which is nothing special in terms of cost, ROCKS for movies. It brings both the Thunder and the Lightening.

So, if the path we are on does not lead to resolution, let's follow the standard path.

How much money do you have to spend?

What components do you expect that money to buy you?

What are the dimensions room the system will be in?

What are you primary sources?
It seems you've answered this, but it is a standard question.

That will give us a framework for what is appropriate for you.

The Yamaha AS500 withOUT a DAC is selling for $399, though I didn't search extensively. The Yamaha AS501 with DAC is $549. That's roughly a difference of $150. A good DAC, which you might well need in the future, will cost DOUBLE that amount.

Still, your money, your life. But clearly you like to watch movies. And you might have a rare TV that has Analog Audio Out. If so, you are in luck ... for as long as you have that TV. But, it is far less likely that a TV you have in the future TV will have Analog Outputs.

Again, it is a colossal waste to watch TV or movies simply using the TV speakers, when you have a very nice Stereo system sitting right there.

But again, your money, your life.

If you really want to maximize what you get for your money, consider the Harman Kardon HK3770 at $449, that is a very powerful, feature packed system -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_532HK3...rdon_HK3770&osp=harmon+kardon+hk3770&skipvs=T

120w/ch, Network Streaming, DAC w/ Digital In, Phono, Bluetooth, and more.

They Yamaha are exceptional value. Most similar amps near that price are not as high value as Yamaha, yet Yamaha manages to maintain a reasonably high standard of quality for a consumer amp.

I still say you best value in a long term amp is the AS501.

The Yamaha RS500 with 75w/ch at $349 is very high value. Though I think the AS500 is probably a better amp. But it is also $50 more. If you are absolutely lock at UNDER $400, then these are probably the best two amps to consider.

In some case, if your TV has a Headphone out, that can be used to connect the TV to a Stereo. That's not considered the best, but it is massively better than the typical TV speakers.

Ultimately, the choice is yours.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why would you watch a movie using the crappy TV speakers when you have a great sound system sitting right there?
Steve/bluewizard
OK, roger that. I see what you are talking about now, sorry for the confusion. I must have not explained properly...
I was asking about the two Yamaha units. Both of them have six (06) analogue inputs which is more than enough.
I would not be using the TV speakers, they would be turned off. In this configuration...

Turntable= Analogue audio to receiver or integrated amplifier.
CD/SACD Player= Analogue audio to receiver or integrated amplifier.
BD/DVD Player= Analogue audio to receiver or integrated amplifier (and) digital video to TV.
LaserDisc Player= Analogue audio to receiver or integrated amplifier (and) analogue video to TV.

... ALL of the audio would go to the receiver or integrated amplifier and the two video signals would go to the TV.
Again sorry for the confusion and I do appreciate the advice.

On a side note I have been enjoying your comments in the 'does vinyl really sound better' thread. Funny stuff in that thread, people take things (and perhaps themselves) way to seriously. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
I have the R-S500, mostly for a turntable, and like it. The loudness dial on these models is the selling point for me. I don't use the tuner, but the display on the R model is nice to see what line I'm on and what the volume is set at. Plus, I got it when Amazon had it on sale for around $210.

But, since I don't use the tuner, if all things being equal, I would probably opt for the A-S500 to get the few extra watts - but realistically, I don't push it to the limits so the R model works great for me. Or the 501 model to add the digital inputs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Again, I just wanted to make you aware of the options. Having a DAC is nice and it future proofs your amp, but if you don't see the need, then no bother.

While I typically choose Receivers for their value, I also acknowledge that the Integrated Amp is probably the better device. So, for me, for equal money, I think the AS500 wins. Depending on how badly you need he radio. Despite having 3 Receivers, I virtually never use broadcast radio. At best, if I do use it is once a year or less.

But you need to evaluate your own needs, and make the right choice for you.

The original price on the AS500 was over $449 according to the Yamaha Website.

The original price on the RS500 was $399 according the the Yamaha Website

Currently at CRUTCHFIELD's the AS500 is $399 and the RS500 is $349.

You final decision is based on your priorities.

Ebay and Amazon, or Google Shopping Search might yield better price than I am quoting here.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just purchased a A-s500 to replace my old rx-v1000 i was using for my desktop 2.1 setup with 2 pioneer SP-BS41-LR (vifa mod) nearfield and a yamaha yst-sw1500 right under the desk. and WOW just WOW im floored! This thing sounds AMAZING! im so happy i had no idea what i was missing... i cant stop listening to everything i have. its so much smoother and richer yet detailed, there's so much air and heft, timing is perfect, sub integrates so much better. ive never herd my desktop 2.1 sound better!

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's old school, and there's old school. IMHO, old dogs should learn new tricks. I won't give up my Yammie RN500 (although I'd of been in heaven if Yamaha had made an AS500 integrated amp with usb/dac/ehternet/wifi built in) since I can rip all my albums to high quality wav or flac and stream to it. I can still pull out an album when I want to go old school but albums don't last forever and some may never get reissued.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts