AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a new Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver to use in a 2.1 configuration, mostly for home theater and occasionally for music. I'm just looking for additional opinions on this receiver. Any comments are appreciated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought one to set up for my mom's first foray into audio and home theater. I set up this yamaha receiver, an oppo bdp 93, cable box, panasonic plasma, and ps audio quintet power center. I bought inexpensive polk rtiA1 bookshelf speakers that i put on the floor on aurelex Mopad isolation foam to angle toward the listening position ( http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-MOPAD-...ref=pd_cp_MI_1 ).

I used these after reading the suggestions at Mapleshade records to put bookshelf speakers on the floor to give a nice bass response out of bookshelf speakers.

Let me tell you - I was shocked at how muscular, smooth, quiet, detailed, and FUN this system sounded with music played through the Oppo BDP 93.

The Yamaha is a great deal, in my opinion. For most listening, there's more than enough power, the options for add on's (bluetooth, ipod docks, sirius, etc) are a great bonus, and for $350 at Amazon, I don't think you can do any better. The remote control could be laid out better, but it's fine. My only gripe, as an audiophile, is that the power cable is captive.

I wish I needed to set up a second system for myself somewhere (apart from my $$$ main system), because I really like this amp and smooth sound i get with this econo-priced system. It appears built well, and to last. I think economies of scale, and years of engineering quality audio products allow Yamaha to offer this receiver at this price. Oh, I didn't notice any crosstalk on mine, and the tuner offered fine performance as well. I only wish it had HD Radio.

I've recommended it to a buddy of mine that's setting up his first hi-fi with a turntable. I haven't heard the phono stage, however. But I don't see why it wouldn't be at the same acceptable level of performance as the rest of the receiver's capabilities.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.