AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a rx-v465 with energy rc-10 speakers. I'm reading my manual and their are three modes in range auto/min , std,max. It doesn't really specifically say what will it do? It will be mostly used for HT. Also if it helps it will be mostly used with my fat ps3 which only outputs PCM through hdmi

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
By “range” do you mean “dynamic range?” If so, the purpose is to apply compression to the audio signal, so that the loud and soft sounds are at approximately the same volume. This might be good for late night viewing when people were sleeping in the house – you could turn the system up loud enough to hear say, whispered dialog, yet not “wake the dead” when an explosion hit. You’ll have to check the manual to see if the “Min” and “Max” refers to dynamic range or compression, to decide where you want to have it set. Basically, you want maximum dynamic range (minimum compression) for normal viewing, and minimal dynamic range (maximum compression) for late-night viewing.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, by range I'm refering to dynamic range. Which has (min/auto,STD,max) the manual doesn't specifically say what it does? My question now is what is the difference of two setting my receiver has then? Dynamic range and Adptv DRC? can anyone explain!!!???!

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I have a Sony receiver, and in a SONY MAX means maximum Dynamic Range Compression (minimum dynamic range). Dynamic Range Compression scales from 0 to 9, then MAX. DRC only works DD in my unit.

As I recall, Yamaha calls their adjustment Dynamic Range. That means MAX means maximum dynamic range (No compression), and MIN means minimum dynamic range (maximum conpression).

Put on a loud action DD DVD like Master and Commander, and try MIN and MAX. The difference in volume level tells you all that you need to know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.