AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha RXV475 a/v receiver. When I purchased it a few months ago, I used my iPhone to plug into the front USB to play music. Now that I have upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy, I find the the receiver does not recognize Android devices via usb. What options do I have for playing music on the Samsung? I saw the yamaha bluetooth device, which is an option (expensive too). What other options are available? Also, high quality sound is paramount.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
A few options... Set your phone to mass storage and use USB. I think you have MHL, so either an MHL cable direct to the receiver, or a MHL to HDMI adapter to the HDMI input. I don't think you have network support, so an Apple AIrPort express or AppleTV to your receiver and use one of the many android apps that support it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf  /t/1521945/yamaha-receiver-music-player-options#post_24466501

A few options... Set your phone to mass storage and use USB. I think you have MHL, so either an MHL cable direct to the receiver, or a MHL to HDMI adapter to the HDMI input. I don't think you have network support, so an Apple AIrPort express or AppleTV to your receiver and use one of the many android apps that support it.

Thanks a bunch for the reply Worf! I will try to change my phone settings first and I will also look at getting the MHL cable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like changing the phone setting to mass storage is out. It doesn't work for music stored on an sd card. Looks like the MHL cable is a good option. Is anyone familiar with using MHL with the Yamahas? If so, how does the interface look (the iphone/usb interface is about as basic as can be)? Also, for those that have used the bluetooth connection, what is the sound quality like?

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are a ton of blue tooth adaptors on the market, that you can plug into the receiver via a mini-plug to RCA splitter, into any audio L+R analog input, or there are even a couple that have RCA outs, (probably get better sound from these). Search amazon. those things are about the size of a box of matches, so you can tuck them anywhere. They cost anywhere from $10 to about $30

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees  /t/1521945/yamaha-receiver-music-player-options#post_24469391

There are a ton of blue tooth adaptors on the market, that you can plug into the receiver via a mini-plug to RCA splitter, into any audio L+R analog input, or there are even a couple that have RCA outs, (probably get better sound from these). Search amazon. those things are about the size of a box of matches, so you can tuck them anywhere. They cost anywhere from $10 to about $30

Cool! Thanks for the info jontyrees! I will definitely shop around for something a bit more cost effective than the factory yamaha bluetooth adapter.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I didn't suggest Bluetooth as it's generally not high quality - the standard codec sounds worse than 128kbps MP3.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf  /t/1521945/yamaha-receiver-music-player-options#post_24471270

I didn't suggest Bluetooth as it's generally not high quality - the standard codec sounds worse than 128kbps MP3.

Yea, I was wondering how the sound quality was via bluetooth. I'm curious as to how the sound quality is using the controller app when the receiver is plugged into ether net cable.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Oh, your receiver has network? Then you're in luck - you should have either DLNA, Airplay or both. Best quality sound that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf  /t/1521945/yamaha-receiver-music-player-options#post_24475830

Oh, your receiver has network? Then you're in luck - you should have either DLNA, Airplay or both. Best quality sound that way.

Yea, I have network capability with my receiver. The manual says that once the receiver is plugged into the network, I can download an app that allows remote control and music playback capability. I assume this will produce a higher quality sound than bluetooth as you mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts