AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 'old' Yamaha RX-V640 that I had stored in my hot Texas garage for the last couple years. Tonight I pulled it out to test as a way to drive some speakers for our halloween display, and I find that immediately after pushing the power button the display lights up for 1/2 a second and the whole unit shuts down again. First time this has ever happened.

There are some examples of this from other Yamaha owners out on the internet (some could fix it if they were tech savvy, some couldn't). This isn't something I have the time or inclination to fix, so does anyone know of a service organization that can 'cheaply' diagnose and fix such a problem? I'd hate to throw this in the dumpster if there is a relatively easy, affordable fix. How does Yamaha gear get repaired? This is the only piece of Yamaha electronics I own. Thx.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Probably not the heat itself but the humidity index over 2 Texas summers depending on where you live here that FUBAR'd it. I don't even leave my electric hedge trimmers out in my shed in this Texas heat but I've learned after 30 plus years living in the South. You might open the top and look for corrosion on the boards or look for a bulging capacitor after removing power and waiting a while to pop the top off but I don't think other Yamaha owner's issues have anything to do with this situation. You just stored sensitive electronic circuitry improperly is all. I was in my attic one summer here looking for something and I almost fainted before realizing I had been up there for almost an hour. "1 hour." Lol.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Is it doing it with the speakers connected? Try it without? If doing it without speakers connected call Yamaha, they have a reset procedure which is worth trying before going to get it repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably not the heat itself but the humidity index over 2 Texas summers depending on where you live here that FUBAR'd it. I don't even leave my electric hedge trimmers out in my shed in this Texas heat but I've learned after 30 plus years living in the South. You might open the top and look for corrosion on the boards or look for a bulging capacitor after removing power and waiting a while to pop the top off but I don't think other Yamaha owner's issues have anything to do with this situation. You just stored sensitive electronic circuitry improperly is all. I was in my attic one summer here looking for something and I almost fainted before realizing I had been up there for almost an hour. "1 hour." Lol.
I should have mentioned I had it in a cabinet that is closed 99% of the time, but regardless, I get your point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it doing it with the speakers connected? Try it without? If doing it without speakers connected call Yamaha, they have a reset procedure which is worth trying before going to get it repaired or replaced.
Doing it without anything attached, yes. Thanks, I didn't know these could be 'reset' so I'll check that out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the cover off, all looks fine, including the fuses back by the power supply. I've searched everywhere for the protection circuit reset process for this model, but all the online articles I see reference different models and wouldn't work for my unit (i.e. I don't have the same buttons on the front to press and hold down, etc.). Just emailed Yamaha support, but let me know if you guys have any bright ideas.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I should have mentioned I had it in a cabinet that is closed 99% of the time, but regardless, I get your point.
No worries. I've toasted plenty of things in my car over the years.😉 Hope it's fixable.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
This is the only troubleshoot option I can find but you may not be able to do it if the receiver won't stay powered on. "put the receiver in Standby mode then disconnect the power cord and after 30 seconds plug it back in." I finally found the manual online but there is no reset procedure in it that I can find.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Yeah, read the manual again front to back to see if I missed something. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Call Yamaha! The reset procedure is not usually in the manual only the service manuals but they will talk you through it if your receiver has one. It is probably a dozen or so years old as it is pre-HDMI era, I wouldn't repair it if it can't be reset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts