AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a new receiver, I was thinking about the Yamaha RX 1800, my only problem is that it is not 3d pass through, I do have a 3d tv and a ps3, I also have a Gbox midnight that can play 3d movies also. I can get this receiver for $350. I have looked at other new Yamahas at about 500, yes they have the 3d, but I really think that lots of other stuff is lacking, such as power and features, I have always had higher end Yamaha receivers, not the cheap ones. just not sure what I should do, I really don't want to spend more then 500, and I do not want a cheap receiver. or should I just get a blueray that has dual hdmi? Any ideas??

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
29,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt13  /t/1472260/yamaha-reciever-options#post_23302816

how does the 1800 compare to the a820? the weight of the 1800 is much more then the 820, so I assume there is a much bigger amp in the 1800

Depends what you're looking for.

820 has Dual HDMI outputs, 7 inputs, networking, internet streaming, Airplay, USB inputs, 3D pass though, 4K scaling,

If none of that matters to you maybe the 1800 has a little more power and a cleaner amp section.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just don't know if I should buy a higher end one and work around the 3d issue, or buy a lower end one, I have never had a cheap Yamaha receiver, I know its like comparing apples to oranges, I do want those features that the 820 has, but I don't want to suffer with worse sound quality

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
The A820 really isn't a cheap receiver. the MSRP is $899 and your RX-V1800 was $999 from what I've checked. The 820 is just on sale but does come with a 3 year warranty.

You could always use the amp section on your 1800 if you really think it is more powerful and sounds better since the A820 has a full set of preouts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have the 1800, right now I have the 2500 with no hdmi, I was reading that the 1800 was comparable to the 2700 (that is what I was going to get)

and yes, the price changed, I guess it changes a lot lol

Thanks

·
Registered
899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1472260/yamaha-reciever-options/0_50#post_23306949

I wouldn't consider the A820 a low end receiver. You'll have to be the judge. Is your older high end used or new?
I agree. In fact the "A" means Aventage, which is their high-end line. And there is an A720 which means that the A820 is not even the most basic of the high-end line, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII  /t/1472260/yamaha-reciever-options#post_23307069

I agree. In fact the "A" means Aventage, which is their high-end line. And there is an A720 which means that the A820 is not even the most basic of the high-end line, if that makes sense.

I was talking to a dealer the other day, and was told with the Aventage series, Yamaha was aiming for superior audio, and that the "A" stood for Audio.

I have the RX-A2020, and can tell you the audio quality is top notch...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not saying that the 820, or 720 are bad receivers at all. My first Yamaha receiver was the 3090 (1996) it was the flagship at that time. I kept that until 2005, then I bought the Rx 2500 (midrange, but higher end in that group) Now im looking for something else, with hdmi and 1080p, I do have a 3d tv so I figure I need to get that also, and while im at it, I probably should consider the 4k also. I am really trying to decide if I should get the best one I can get without 3d/4k or just buy a lower model that has both.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The 820 is a solid choice in the $500 range. If non-Yamaha receivers are an option, I would check out the Denon 2113. Reliable, not like Yamaha, but still very good; Denon receivers have decent amp sections that perform well on the bench; and Audyssey MultEQ Xt which will also EQ the sub unlike YPAO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.