AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys, I can get both of these receivers for about the same price ($575). So which one will have better amps and better SQ. I have a Polk RTI set up consisting of RTi8s for fronts, CSi5 center and two Polk surround speakers. Currently I'm using a Yamaha HTR-5960, and I'm hoping that either the Denon or the Yamaha will be an upgrade over my current receiver. I'm planning on hooking up a PS3 and a Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player. It will be mostly for movies 75%, games 20% and maybe music.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I listened to them side by side today and thought the Yamaha sounded much nicer. If I was solely choosing between these 2 I would get the 1800 without a doubt.

I still might actually as my search continues and that is number one on the list.

Still have to listen to the Yamaha 3800 and the Denon 3808, but unless they are much different personally I can't see spending the extra over what I heard.

Mark

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrb /forum/post/14218412

I listened to them side by side today and thought the Yamaha sounded much nicer. If I was solely choosing between these 2 I would get the 1800 without a doubt.

I still might actually as my search continues and that is number one on the list.

Still have to listen to the Yamaha 3800 and the Denon 3808, but unless they are much different personally I can't see spending the extra over what I heard.

Mark

Hi, can you elaborate on the differences you heard? Thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
From purely an audio perspective I don't know why you would need to listen to the 3800. The 1800 is pretty much identical with 70 watts less. Other than network capability and on onscreen GUI they are the same receiver. I'm also with poster number 2 on the wow where are you landing that type of deal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just found the sound clearer and cleaner all around, but especially in the highs. It just seemed richer. The voices seemed to stand out better.

If you have a Best Buy around you they stock and demo them both, typically in the same room.

I would also like to know where you got that price. The best I could find was about $150 more for the 1800.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts