AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum and looking for a new receiver to power my Ascend Sierra 2's. Im torn between the Yamaha, the Marantz and the Emotiva. My buddy is a Denon/Marantz dealer so I can get a decent deal on the marantz sr5008, actually cheaper than the $699 that the Yamaha can be had for. I'm trying to stay $700 or under.

I will eventually be using it to power a 5.1 or 7.1 HT, but will be strictly 2 channel for a while.

Im putting the system together blind as Im having my speakers shipped in May when my new home is complete. not ideal, but it's what Im gonna do.

Anyone have experience with these receivers and have some opinions?

I have an old Denon AVR 1800, but a want to upgrade to something new.

Thanks for any direction in this.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Of the three, I'd recommend the Marantz, primarily because its automated room EQ (Audyssey) can EQ the subwoofer channel. Yamaha's YPAO doesn't. Although speakers and room acoustics have the most effect on the quality of the sound you hear, room equalization can help with infelicities in speakers or the room's acoustics. Unfortunately, it looks like the Emotive receiver was only just released, so nobody actually has one yet. Let's just say that their track record with receivers and pre/pros has not been the best, although their amps have great reviews.

Another advantage of the Marantz is that you have a local dealer who should be able to help with any problems you encounter. Shipping things back can be a hassle.

You might want to look into the equivalent Denon receivers. They're usually significantly less expensive than the equivalent Marantz units, although with somewhat fewer features.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Under $700 or even $1000, my recommendation would be the Emotive 8100. The Emotiva is a great sounding receiver and is now only $499 - a steal at that price. It's the equal and in some ways better(mid range detail) than my NADT758 for less than half the price. It's much better sounding than my Denon AVR-2312 or Yamaha receiver and it's GUI is much more intuitive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.