AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i own a Yamaha RX-A3030 and i have one question which is confusing for me. i need to know when specs sheet says :

150 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2 ch driven) , does this means its the total power the receiver can handle for all channels driven, i know its for 2 ch driven its capable of 150wpc. but what if i wanna listen to music in 7 ch stereo mode. whats the rating power for all channel driven ? is it also 150w all channels driven ? or do i have to multiply 300watt to 7 channels which is equal to 42.8 WPC?

please advice

thanks in advance

y

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The 150 watts is, as it says, for two channels with an 8 ohm RESISTOR for a load.

It is impossible to know exactly what power it can put out to 7 SPEAKERS, because the speakers have inductance, capacitance, and less than 8 ohms resistance at almost all frequencies in most cases. This makes the amplifier work much much harder than an 8 ohm resistor load.

In other words, it depends a LOT on the specific impedance and reactance characteristics of your speakers. Some speakers are a more difficult load than others, and then distortion goes up a lot more. With ANY speakers, the distortion will typically be more than 1% with your receiver.

The power supply probably has about 350 watts or so available for all 7 channels, and if all channels were connected to 8 ohm resistors, 50 watts per channel would be more or less the case. Marginal power supplies that don't do a very good job are typical in most lower-priced receivers, and even some expensive ones. IMO Yamaha, Anthem, Pioneer, and Onkyo (to name just a few) tend to skimp on the power supply design and get by with the minimum.

However, with most speakers, the available power will probably be less due to power supply current limitations, AND the distortion will probably be somewhere between 1% and 5%.

This will negatively impact SOUND QUALITY due to the higher distortion levels, as distortion typically becomes quite audible at around 2%.

Some receivers are designed much better, and have more capable power supplies, which allows them to handle multiple speakers while keeping distortion low, and therefore will do a better job with a wide range of speakers. They sound much better a a result.

NAD and Cambridge Audio are excellent in this regard, and are well known to have better sound quality than the typical AVR with most speakers.

They are the only reasonably priced receivers I will recommend. Bryston and Arcam are also excellent, but very expensive.

If you plan to keep that receiver, the best thing you can do is to try to use speakers that are relatively easy to drive.

The way to do this is look at the GRAPH of impedance vs frequency for each speaker, and make sure that the impedance stays higher than 6 ohms at ALL frequencies. Avoid any speaker that goes lower than 6 ohms at ANY frequency.

Of course the best thing to do is buy a better receiver, but yours may perform reasonably well with a careful choice of speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed info , am really satisfied with the performance of the receiver but i think i have to buy an external amp for my front speakers Polk Audio RTI A9 .

any recommendation for a 400wpc amplifier would be appreciated

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddup76  /t/1523429/yamaha-rx-a3030-all-channels-driven-wattage#post_24506432

hello

i own a Yamaha RX-A3030 and i have one question which is confusing for me. i need to know when specs sheet says :

150 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2 ch driven) , does this means its the total power the receiver can handle for all channels driven, i know its for 2 ch driven its capable of 150wpc. but what if i wanna listen to music in 7 ch stereo mode. whats the rating power for all channel driven ? is it also 150w all channels driven ? or do i have to multiply 300watt to 7 channels which is equal to 42.8 WPC?

please advice

thanks in advance

y

Soundandvision did a review of the rxa3020, It should be identical to the 3030.

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 194/275 W (22.9/24.4 dBW)

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 69 W (18.4 dBW)

7 channels driven (8 ohms): 63 W (18.0 dBW)

Now, Yamaha limits ACD to about 60W for safety purposes. Even in the top of the line CXA5000/MXA5000 combo. It has been said many times that ACD means nothing for real usage, and I tend to agree.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK am looking at crown XLS 2500 with many positive reviews and am considering buying one for my front speakers . the amp is rated [email protected] i also checked the emotiva XPA-2 | 300W x 2 with price tag $899 while the crown is $530,, any advice if there's a difference in quality considering a $400 price difference !!

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike911  /t/1523429/yamaha-rx-a3030-all-channels-driven-wattage#post_24507748

Soundandvision did a review of the rxa3020, It should be identical to the 3030.

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 194/275 W (22.9/24.4 dBW)

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 69 W (18.4 dBW)

7 channels driven (8 ohms): 63 W (18.0 dBW)

Now, Yamaha limits ACD to about 60W for safety purposes. Even in the top of the line CXA5000/MXA5000 combo. It has been said many times that ACD means nothing for real usage, and I tend to agree.

Available power is essentially determined by the power supply voltage/current capability..

Today most AVR brands provide a 2x channel driven power output spec, so yes taking the 2 channel total of power output and dividing by the # of channels will give one a good idea of its capability. The argument of all channels driven vs. 2 channels has been going on for several years for the AVR category, but still the all channels driven is the standard for quality, component power amplifiers. Really depends upon the target market, the AVR segment tends to be less aware and are more pursuaded by the mostest watts....

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1523429/yamaha-rx-a3030-all-channels-driven-wattage#post_24507873

Available power is essentially determined by the power supply voltage/current capability..

Today most AVR brands provide a 2x channel driven power output spec, so yes taking the 2 channel total of power output and dividing by the # of channels will give one a good idea of its capability. The argument of all channels driven vs. 2 channels has been going on for several years for the AVR category, but still the all channels driven is the standard for quality, component power amplifiers. Really depends upon the target market, the AVR segment tends to be less aware and are more pursuaded by the mostest watts....

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

It is just that real world content, movies, music will never approach ACD levels. http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-all-channels-driven-acd-amplifier-test

Old article, but still applies today. Skip to page 5 for the conclusions. If you use ACD as a comparison tool, a yamaha rxa3030 at 60w x 7 ACD, and a nad t758 60wx7 ACD, will be evenly matched. But the truth is the Yamaha will go louder and with less distorsion with any real world content.

·
Registered
434 Posts
ACD for movies is probably a non issue, especially when utilizing a subwoofer. On the other hand some multi-channel music may readily exceed the limits of an AVR (Blue Man Group comes to mind), depending on your listening levels. Adding a two channel amplifier for the mains and using the AVR for the remaining channels is a good choice IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts