AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me decide between the Yamaha RX-A3030 and the AVR-4520CI (or other AVR) for 11 channels of simultaneous sound. I plan to add an Emotiva 5 channel (XPA-5) to power the additional channels and front stage.

It will be a dedicated theater room with decoupled walls/ceiling, two tier seating, approx. 18' x 17' space.

Audyssey, Cinema DSP HD3, DTS Neo:X

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Easy if room correction is important - Denon 4520. Otherwise, without room correction being used you should buy based on the features you value. If you can hold off until late summer I would, looks like there will be some interesting new A/V devices coming out then.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
^HDMI 2.0 is all I'm aware of, of possible significance. But even with 4K, it may not be necessary for years and will likely introduce more growing pains. Unless you need 2.0 now or see yourself needing it sooner than you can afford to upgrade your AVR again, steering clear might even be advisable.

To elaborate on the above posters statement, the Denon would be the better choice if auto-room correction is of chief concern, as Yamaha's YPAO is likely (not definitively, but likely) inferior, or at least less aggressive than, Audyssey XT32, which some people actually favor the Yamaha for, though I'm not sure I'm one of them, having recently switched from a Denon with XT to a Yamaha 3030. Yamaha specializes more in manual EQ, which the 3030 would be a much better choice if you don't trust the accuracy of auto-EQ or prefer to tailor the room EQ more personally.

I think Audyssey is also geared more for movies than music. Many prefer to turn Audyssey off for 2-channel music listening - though it might be more desirable for concerts recorded in multi-channel surround. If movies are your primary goal and you're not very familiar with EQ and want something with a more minor learning curve, Audyssey XT32 is probably what you want.

If so, I'd, personally look closely at the Marantz 7008 over the Denon, but that's partly a subjective choice. Both feature XT32. But if you're going to use an external amp for the most demanding channels anyway, you probably don't need the extra power of the 4520, which is it's main selling point over most others around its pricepoint.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddleton5401  /t/1522934/yamaha-rx-a3030-or-denon-svr-4520ci-for-11-channel-sound#post_24495360

Does the Marantz you suggested also allow for all 11 speakers simultaneously like the others?

thanks for the responses.

Yes with additional 2 channel amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts