AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 5362 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Guys,

Could someone please provide me the distance between the very front edge of the front leg to the back edge of the back leg of these receivers? I know the specs list the whole unit depth at 18-5/8", but, functionally, I just need the feet to sit on my current media rack and let the excess body hang over in front/back. My current rack shelf is 15" deep.

Thanks for the help! Really looking to pick up a rx-a2070 if they come down in price with the new a2080's coming out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 2070 arriving tomorrow, any setup tips anyone could give would be most helpful.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a 2070 arriving tomorrow, any setup tips anyone could give would be most helpful.
Hello,
Same here, to-day I have replaced my previous Denon X4000 by this brand new RX-A3070, but waouhhh is it that much more complicated ( sophisticated ) than the X4000, any help to get started much appreciated, sort of tutorial for "old" dummies .... :wink:

To start my x4000 had a specific button to play audio TV, no such on the A3070 .... ?

So far only TV ARC hdmi plugged into HDMI OUT1 and speakers setup as 5.1.2 ( previous height spkrs as overhead presence as they are ceiling mid-way between front and seating )

·
Registered
19 Posts
the 3070 is now down to 1299. i currently own a 675 and i have really enjoyed this receiver compared to the Onkyo i had before.

Any reason to wait for the 3080? The only thing about the 3080 is the ability to use musiccast speakers as wireless surround. My room is challenging at best for running wires. I currently use a rocketfish wireless adapter for surround. As for the rest of speakers i'm using mythos st-l as L/R and cs9080 as center and some really cheap a$$ stuff for surround, which i hope to upgrade soon.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Same here, to-day I have replaced my previous Denon X4000 by this brand new RX-A3070, but waouhhh is it that much more complicated ( sophisticated ) than the X4000, any help to get started much appreciated, sort of tutorial for "old" dummies .... :wink:
the main differences between Yamaha/YPAO and D&M/Audyssey:
- since there is no R.S.C. for the subwoofers, the YPAO correction for them is quite useless. Either the room ist perfect or you need additional "help" for the subwoofers, like an Antimode
- YPAO tends to classify even speakers smaller than a shoebox as "large". The funny thing is: in the background YPAO already sets a far more suitable cross-over frequency for those speakers. But it's not active unless you manually switch them to "small"
- Audyssey measures the distance to the speakers on the very first position only. YPAO instead averages between ALL measurement positions! So be careful choosing the positions "wisely". Don't use a too wide area, approximately 1ft around your usual head position should be fine an if you pair the positions mirrored at the center, the averaged distance is correct.
nevertheless i suggest to check the distances, but not with a ruler but "acoustically".
- another hint regarding the distances: in pure direct mode Yamaha switches off the distance correction for 2-ch signals but keeps it active for multi-channel signals, except it is a DSD/SACD signal...
if you don't know this, it may drive you crazy when comparing old/new AVR and using pure direct for it as well (i know what i'm talking about ;) )
- you can switch inputs on a Yamaha in standby for HDMI passthrough
- probably there is much more, but this is what came to mind immediately...

·
Registered
288 Posts
the main differences between Yamaha/YPAO and D&M/Audyssey:
- since there is no R.S.C. for the subwoofers, the YPAO correction for them is quite useless. Either the room ist perfect or you need additional "help" for the subwoofers, like an Antimode
- YPAO tends to classify even speakers smaller than a shoebox as "large". The funny thing is: in the background YPAO already sets a far more suitable cross-over frequency for those speakers. But it's not active unless you manually switch them to "small"
- Audyssey measures the distance to the speakers on the very first position only. YPAO instead averages between ALL measurement positions! So be careful choosing the positions "wisely". Don't use a too wide area, approximately 1ft around your usual head position should be fine an if you pair the positions mirrored at the center, the averaged distance is correct.
nevertheless i suggest to check the distances, but not with a ruler but "acoustically".
- another hint regarding the distances: in pure direct mode Yamaha switches off the distance correction for 2-ch signals but keeps it active for multi-channel signals, except it is a DSD/SACD signal...
if you don't know this, it may drive you crazy when comparing old/new AVR and using pure direct for it as well (i know what i'm talking about ;) )
- you can switch inputs on a Yamaha in standby for HDMI passthrough
- probably there is much more, but this is what came to mind immediately...

Thank you for this info. I have just set up the 2070 and so far sound stage seems smaller and less dramatic, bass is also very tame and flat compared to the Marantz 7012.

I am sure its just a matter of tweaking, I have enabled YPAO Volume and added +3.5 on the Sub Trim and enabled extra Bass but still not getting the effect I am looking for.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thank you for this info. I have just set up the 2070 and so far sound stage seems smaller and less dramatic, bass is also very tame and flat compared to the Marantz 7012.

I am sure its just a matter of tweaking, I have enabled YPAO Volume and added +3.5 on the Sub Trim and enabled extra Bass but still not getting the effect I am looking for.
1. Turn off Extra Bass, it's a feature implemented for two channel setups although Yamaha does not state this in any info that I have seen. In a nutshell, it cuts the ULF's.

2. Disregard the post that you quoted above. R.S.C is not for subwoofers and YPAO is not useless and it is in fact quite good. You need to read the manual and follow the setup directions.

3. You need an SPL meter or at least a IOS/Android app (which are not that accurate) but will do if that's all you have access to. The channels levels do need to be checked an adjusted especially if you do a multi position measure.

More than likely your Marantz had Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume engaged which is why you are noticing such a difference.

You really need to read the manual and then read it again if you haven't done so.

·
Registered
288 Posts
1. Turn off Extra Bass, it's a feature implemented for two channel setups although Yamaha does not state this in any info that I have seen. In a nutshell, it cuts the ULF's.

2. Disregard the post that you quoted above. R.S.C is not for subwoofers and YPAO is not useless and it is in fact quite good. You need to read the manual and follow the setup directions.

3. You need an SPL meter or at least a IOS/Android app (which are not that accurate) but will do if that's all you have access to. The channels levels do need to be checked an adjusted especially if you do a multi position measure.

More than likely your Marantz had Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume engaged which is why you are noticing such a difference.

You really need to read the manual and then read it again if you haven't done so.

Thank you for the above. I am working my way through the manual at the moment, when I was setting it up last night it was very late.

I have an SPL app on my phone which I will use as I did an 8 point setup and I will disable Extra Bass. I noticed YPAO set all my speakers to large with a 60hz cross over which I changed.

I do have Dynamic EQ enabled on my Marantz but not Dynamic Volume, I have read that Yamaha's version to Dynamic EQ is YPAO Volume but this doesn't seems to have no where near as much of a difference as Dynamic EQ does. I am just finding the sound stage allot smaller and less dramatic. The sound is nice but it feels held back.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I do have Dynamic EQ enabled on my Marantz but not Dynamic Volume, I have read that Yamaha's version to Dynamic EQ is YPAO Volume but this doesn't seems to have no where near as much of a difference as Dynamic EQ does. I am just finding the sound stage allot smaller and less dramatic. The sound is nice but it feels held back.
You are correct, Dynamic EQ and YPAO Volume are quite different in their approach. I have measured both applications many times and my personal opinion is that Dynamic EQ is over the top especially with the increased surround levels. But that is just my opinion and it is something you will have to adjust to. YPAO Volume does not increase the subwoofer and surround channels levels.

Also, Yamaha uses Adaptive DRC which is described in a similar way as Audyssey Dynamic Volume but is a different animal and is also not over the top, my opinion.

I didn't see a mention of your room size and layout of your listening position, that information might help us give you a few tips.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You are correct, Dynamic EQ and YPAO Volume are quite different in their approach. I have measured both applications many times and my personal opinion is that Dynamic EQ is over the top especially with the increased surround levels. But that is just my opinion and it is something you will have to adjust to. YPAO Volume does not increase the subwoofer and surround channels levels.

Also, Yamaha uses Adaptive DRC which is described in a similar way as Audyssey Dynamic Volume but is a different animal and is also not over the top, my opinion.

I didn't see a mention of your room size and layout of your listening position, that information might help us give you a few tips.

You are spot on that the sound stage is more front based, I feel as thought I have a wall of sound in front of me and not an expansive bubble around me.

I have adjusted my speaker to hit 75dB but my sub is barely registering on the meter. Even if I up the gain to full on the sub to full it barely touches 68dB. Any ideas what is going on here?

My room size is about 13'x 23' and my rears are situated 5' behind my listen position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me I have a pioneer elite speaker system setup which includes two ebs73lr matching ebc73 center and a 12 inch subwoofer anyway I plan on buying another set of ebs73lr and doing a full surround sound system. I want to know if the Yamaha 3070 would work with these pioneer elite speakers since they are 4 om speakers. I understand that it says 4 ohm for fronts only but will the receiver work fine with 4 om speakers all around? Please answer any help is appreciated at this time. I am considering the Yamaha 3070 , denon 4400, pioneer lx801, and onkyo rz920.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me I have a pioneer elite speaker system setup which includes two ebs73lr matching ebc73 center and a 12 inch subwoofer anyway I plan on buying another set of ebs73lr and doing a full surround sound system. I want to know if the Yamaha 3070 would work with these pioneer elite speakers since they are 4 om speakers. I understand that it says 4 ohm for fronts only but will the receiver work fine with 4 om speakers all around? Please answer any help is appreciated at this time. I am considering the Yamaha 3070 , denon 4400, pioneer lx801, and onkyo rz920.
I run 4ohm x 5, no problems. I did add an external app after awhile, just 'cause... I left it set to 8ohm after reading here

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
818 Posts
i have a question about hooking up dual subs to to 3070 Yamaha-
my dennon 989 I'm replacing, only had one sub input so Iused a y splitter to power both subs and measure them together at once with dennon audissy room correction software. Since this Yamaha has 2 sub inputs I presume I'm better to buy 2 new RCA cables for both my subs? Does it matter that my subs are stacked? I notice the sub inputs are labeled front and rear on this yamaha. So it wouldn't matter in my case which sub was plugged into which port? Regarding RCA cable for my subs , I like the look of this 25 ft Amazon cable But 20' would be long enough to reach my subs I think. Is the extra 5' of cable going to cause possible sound interference I'm better off buying 20' lengths? Is this $11 white subwoofer cable a fine choice?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FW4XJE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB&psc=1

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
At average TV listening volume levels, there shouldn't be any problem; however, the AVR may shut down should you raise the volume much louder at which point, you simply purchase an external amp to power at least the FL/FR speakers (or you could even use the AVR you are replacing).

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
i have a question about hooking up dual subs to to 3070 Yamaha-
my dennon 989 I'm replacing, only had one sub input so Iused a y splitter to power both subs and measure them together at once with dennon audissy room correction software. Since this Yamaha has 2 sub inputs I presume I'm better to buy 2 new RCA cables for both my subs? Does it matter that my subs are stacked? I notice the sub inputs are labeled front and rear on this yamaha. So it wouldn't matter in my case which sub was plugged into which port? Regarding RCA cable for my subs , I like the look of this 25 ft Amazon cable But 20' would be long enough to reach my subs I think. Is the extra 5' of cable going to cause possible sound interference I'm better off buying 20' lengths? Is this $11 white subwoofer cable a fine choice?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FW4XJE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB&psc=1
Most current model AVRs for the past few years have dual sub pre-outs; however, on the lower/mid-level models this is nothing more than an internal "Y" splitter connecting them thus replicating the external "Y" splitter you previously used with the 989. However, the A2070 and A3070 can do dual sub EQ so each sub pre-out can be used for independent control of each sub, therefore you'll want to use a separate cable for each sub.

Although placing the subs in different locations of the room would provide better coverage, with stacked subs, as noted on p. 145 of the Owner's manual, you'll want to use the factory default LAYOUT - SUBWOOFER - Monaural x 2 setting in which case it won't matter which sub cable goes into which sub pre-out.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Hi this may be a dumb question but im a newbie when connecting a external amp to this yamaha... If im going to connect a emotiva a150 stereo amp to this avr in order to add an extra 2 zone 2 speakers.. Do i connect using the Rca inputs of zone 2 of the yamaha.. Do i need to buy rca cables to connect the external amp or 2 separate coaxial cables to connect the amp to the avr ..
thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Hi this may be a dumb question but im a newbie when connecting a external amp to this yamaha... If im going to connect a emotiva a150 stereo amp to this avr in order to add an extra 2 zone 2 speakers.. Do i connect using the Rca inputs of zone 2 of the yamaha.. Do i need to buy rca cables to connect the external amp or 2 separate coaxial cables to connect the amp to the avr ..
thanks
Yes, connect the A150 to the Zone 2 pre-outs using RCA cables. Connect the Zone 2 speakers to the A150 speaker posts.

3481 - 3500 of 5362 Posts