AVS Forum banner

3541 - 3560 of 5363 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
is anyone else experiencing small sound from this AVR
Definitely not, I don't know what's going on with his setup but it's unfortunate that he is having a bad experience.

My Yamaha 2070 replaced a Denon with Audyssey XT32 and I am much happier with the Yamaha and I feel that the Denon is a very good receiver. I also have an Onkyo 818 with Audyssey XT32 in another house that also sounds really good but I prefer the Yamaha. One thing that is very noticeable to me is the way that the Yamaha steers the surround effects around the room so distinctly in each channel. The Denon and Onkyo seem to blend the audio from channel to channel a little which is something that you would have to hear to understand. I would venture to guess that Audyssey and YPAO have different approaches and theories as to how to set channel delay which is what I am hearing.

I have had no issues with dynamics, "small sound", subwoofer EQ, etc. I will add that my Rythmiks bond much better with the Yamaha than they did with the Denon or Onkyo and it's quite a difference with music which is the majority of my use.

Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz....all great stuff but all a little different.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Good to hear because I bought some Golden ear Triton 5 and Atmos speaker and plan to run 5.1.4 setup with has sub and expect this system to rock ..just in case I have a emotiva a150 stereo amp in case the fronts need a external amp at 75 a channel

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone know how to default the 2070 back to stock factory firmware?

·
Banned
517 Posts
So when is it that you WOULD want to select LPCM as the output?

What scenarios?
Although Yamaha has made no indication of releasing DTS Virtual:X to the AVRs, if you wanted to use DTS Virtual:X on a Dolby Digital audio track you would have to have the source decode it to PCM.
Hey smooth let's say I decide to use the Emotiva a150 to connect the front left and front right speakers as I should get better sound this way because I'm taking a little of the work away from the Yamaha . Where do u connect the external amp too to do this mm I know zone 2 is for additional outside speakers so would I connect the speakers to external amp and the external amp inputs to where on Yamaha

·
Premium Member
88,002 Posts
Hey smooth let's say I decide to use the Emotiva a150 to connect the front left and front right speakers as I should get better sound this way because I'm taking a little of the work away from the Yamaha . Where do u connect the external amp too to do this mm I know zone 2 is for additional outside speakers so would I connect the speakers to external amp and the external amp inputs to where on Yamaha
You would connect the A150 to the FL/FR pre-outs, although as it only provides 75W/CH, you're not likely to see any improvement in sound, rather simply taking a load off of the AVR.

Attachments

·
Banned
517 Posts
You would connect the A150 to the FL/FR pre-outs, although as it only provides 75W/CH, you're not likely to see any improvement in sound, rather simply taking a load off of the AVR.
this is true but remember the yamaha is rated at less then 50 watts with 7 channels driven continuously now .. most of the time 7 channels are never driven continuously .. I would think the emotiva feeding it up to 75 watts clean power gives it more head room that if i were to use a 5.1.4 setup and it having less watts to throw to front channels.. curious to why this avr is rated so low with 7 channels driven compared to marantz denon ect

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Anyone know how to default the 2070 back to stock factory firmware?
Do you mean revert it to a prior version of the firmware? Don't think it can be done. Perhaps someone has done it. You'd have to have that version on a USB stick.

If you mean revert to stock factory settings, that would be under Advanced Setup I believe. Check your manual.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do you mean revert it to a prior version of the firmware? Don't think it can be done. Perhaps someone has done it. You'd have to have that version on a USB stick.

If you mean revert to stock factory settings, that would be under Advanced Setup I believe. Check your manual.

I see. I was hoping to revert back to the factory firmware if possible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
WOW!! Finally finished reading through this thread! Yes, the whole thing. I now realize how very little I actually knew about HT all these years. I'm actually kind of sad now to be caught up...

I have a 3070 on order and have been reading up to get all the juicy deets. I surely could've done with a 2070 but I opted for the slightly fancier one because I don't want to have any regrets about not getting the most that I could. It's a personality "flaw" lol.

It may have been too much to read in a just a few days though because now I'm a bit overwhelmed and nervous about YPAO results and having sub-par bass. I read many many suggestions on how to address that though so hopefully I can work through it. I'm not sure how deep into manual corrections I'll dive as all this talk of measurements and SPL meters and graphs and curves has my head spinning a bit. I'll try to stick with the basic manual adjustments and I'm sure that'll be good enough for me.

I'm coming from an RX-A1000 which I've been extremely happy with for the last 7 years. I bought it new for 70 bux when the Ultimate Electronics I worked at shut down back in 2011. I haven't kept up on new AV tech at all in that time because I didn't want to go drooling over higher end gear knowing I would never get another deal like that! So wow am I excited about this upgrade.

Like many, I imagine, the only reason I decided to upgrade was my move to 4K. It's been driving me crazy running everything through optical the last few months and how non-cohesive my system became after skipping the AVR for most components. Even with a Harmony it's still annoying.

I have a Klipsch 5.1 setup. RF62 fronts, RC62 center, RS42 surrounds, and RW12D sub. I became very curious halfway through the thread about using the A1000 as an amp for a couple channels but after seeing a few other users bring up the topic I'm fairly certain that won't be a worthwhile endeavor for me - so thanks for helping with that! Someday I'll be going to at least 5.1.4 but that's probably a year or more out so I think I'll just send the A1000 to a new home.

I'm hoping to receive the 3070 tomorrow so I'll be watching this thread closely for a while. Wish me luck for smooth sailing!

Now to start reading the manual...

Thanks all

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
The 2070 and 3070 should correct your sub's response somewhat, just not as well as MultEQ XT32. It may very well be satisfactory. Don't worry about it until you've tried it. We tend to obsess about "the best" things but you can't buy a single product that is the best in every way. You have to compromise somewhere.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Quick question guys can the Yamaha 2070 since it does 2 HDMI out ..one to tv and the other to another tv if u wish like outdoors ..question is it possible to be running a cable box to show and sound on zone 1 and HDMI out 1 and to run another device or stream through the Yamaha and get sound and video for zone 2 and HDMI out 2 ..in other words can u get two different video signals at same time through HDMI 1 and 2 out to different TV's

·
Banned
517 Posts

Ok ok so u talked me into getting a emotiva a300 ..that's definitely a better amp and 150 watts per channel amp ..now if I connect my mains to that and let the Yamaha do the atomos surrounds and center my system should definitely sound better and have more head room

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ok ok so u talked me into getting a emotiva a300 ..that's definitely a better amp and 150 watts per channel amp ..now if I connect my mains to that and let the Yamaha do the atomos surrounds and center my system should definitely sound better and have more head room
More headroom, yes. Sound better... if your volume is cranked, yes. When playing at lower volumes, should sound the same.

Reactions: ChromeJob

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have now run the YPAO calibration routine, 5 positions + angle + height with my 5.1.2 setup.
But after that I could only hear the center speaker, and just a very faint sound out of all the others, just enough to be sure they were used in fact as shown by the unit's display.
To get some blended sound out of the others I had to increase the level delta between center and all the others by 6 dBs, that is decrease the center by 3 dBs and increase the others by 3 dBs.
Is this normal YPAO manual level correction or did the calibration fail somewhere ?
Initially after the YPAO run and using the sound check I could hear about the same level out of all the speakers.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Is there a big difference between top rear (or rear height) and top middle in Atmos setups? Looking at the Yamaha A3070 manual, it doesn't appear as though the Yamaha receivers with 11 channel support even support a 5.1.6 configuration. It shows front height + rear height OR overhead. There is no front height + overhead or overhead + rear height options.

My room is setup such that it would be far easier to do front height + mid/side height, side surround and rear surround. There is no real good place to do rear height (due to a sliding glass door in the back and half bathroom on one side in the back of the room) compared to the front. The side height setup actually resembles Auro 3D surround height more than anything else. It's a shame there isn't more support for Auro 3D as it clearly fits some room layouts better than Atmos (DTS doesn't care either way, it seems). I'm just not sure what effect I would get with side surround height speakers just behind the main listening couch (in-between the next row) with rear surrounds behind the second row (side lower surrounds would have to go either below the height speakers or in front of the main listening couch; nothing else will work). The Denon manual wants the front presence channels in line with the front L/R speakers. The Yamaha manual wants them well off to the sides instead. I'm thinking if they can do THAT, I can use side heights....

It does look like in the diagram on page 27 of the A3070 manual the ceiling configuration locations isn't exactly entirely different from the front height side height setup I want to use. The distance from the front wall for the height channel and distance inward from the side wall are the only real differences. Given how much difference is shown between ceiling and height channels and side positioning versus behind side plus further behind positions, it's hard to imagine it being too awful if I lied to the setup menu a bit.

The newest Denon 13.1 (AVR-X8500H) receiver offers top middle on top of front height and rear height for dedicated speakers and it even has side surround (for Auro 3D), but it won't let you set the side surround as top middle or the top middle as side surround even if they're practically in the same spot (i.e. one will NOT function in Atmos or Auro 3D respectively without going into setup and changing it before playing a movie; talk about stupid settings.... There I was thinking of a ceiling bounce speaker for the rear height. Oddly, it WILL let you switch between rear height and side surround automatically (only using side surround for Auro 3D and rear height for Atmos/X, but this leaves out and entire set of speakers in Atmos mode (no option to alternately connect middle top on the height 4 connectors for that mode) leaving you with only 7.1.4 instead of 7.1.6 even if you have dedicated top middle speakers or would prefer to use the side surrounds as middle top. Too bad. You just spent $4000 on a receiver that can't even manage those OBVIOUS shortcomings/details. It also doesn't do dialog lift so your $10K+ home theater is stuck with voices coming out from beneath the screen....

The Yamaha limitation is that while the newer receivers (apparently) can do dialog lift now with Atmos/X (yay for projection screens). Well, at least I think they can (older models didn't seem to be able to, but I see no limitation mentioned here, at least, but it would be nice if someone could verify it), the receiver only has YPAO instead of Audyssey or DIRAC and no Auro 3D option at all (but lots of crappy DSP modes no one uses!)

Am I the only one that wishes there were ONE receiver to rule them all? I'm not thrilled about all these shortcomings. Somehow, I would think if I were going to pay $4000 for a receiver (like that Denon), it should be able to do everything but fly me to the moon. All these corporations are spending so much time and effort to make their own incompatible wireless house speakers (like Sonos or Apple's old Airport Express + iTunes system) that they aren't spending enough time doing the best thing for actual home theater. How many people even use multiple zones? You have to run WIRES to do that and most houses aren't set up to run wires all the way across the house. It's easier/cheaper just to buy a cheap amp for that room and a FireTV or AppleTV. Done. I just don't GET some of these features. Balanced XLR for ONE input? For god's sake WHY!?!?!?! WTF is the point? The digital connection is 1000x better. Who even listens to music from a CD player these days anyway? I've had my entire music collection ripped to ALAC since 2007!!! No Auro 3D, but it's got a record player phono jack input.... (If you REALLY want one, you can get an external pre-amp that's probably a lot better and more adjustable for $25-100. I've got an extra one right here. I don't need a phono input on a receiver. How about a TAPE LOOP for my old Carver Sonic Holography pre-amp/processor for the front two channels instead? Nope. Everything you don't want and nothing that you do (I suppose that could be connected via front pre-outs and from the Carver to an outboard amplifier using a set matching gain).

But there's virtually nothing you can do to add Audyssey or Auro 3D here. Instead, I've been thinking if there's a way I could add dialog-lift to the Denon using my existing Yamaha receiver as a second receiver connected. I'm thinking if I took the Denon front channel pre-outs (with center set to OFF/Phantom) and ran them into the Denon 7.1 RCA inputs and then let that produce a dialog lift effect on top of the front/center outs, I would then have dialog lift with the Denon processing the rest of the channels. The only issue is that the front height presence channel from the Denon (for Atmos/X/Auro 3D) would probably have to go to another set of speakers sitting beside the existing ones since there's no low level output from the Yamaha. OR you could use a high level to low level converter and then send that output PLUS the Denon's pre-amp front height output together to a 2-channel mixer and then out to another amplifier and get a MIXED dialog lift + front height channel. That would be excellent, but what a mess....

Reading through the Yamaha manual some more.... Does anyone see a slight contradiction in these two statements from the Yamaha manual for the A2070?

"...It delivers more than twice as much capability for generating acoustic reflections as conventional Cinema DSP3D..."

REFLECTIONS = GOOD. The more the merrier baby!

"...smearing of the acoustical sound image caused by undesirable sound reflection from the walls or ceiling. YPAO-R.S.C is technology that eliminates only the unwanted reflections...."

REFLECTIONS = BAD. Let's wipe them out!!!

LOL. I think the Yamaha receivers are fighting themselves for generating and eliminating reflections in your room. Perhaps they should worry more about room response instead of reflections (hence the lower opinions of YPAO in regards to Audyssey).

·
Banned
517 Posts
More headroom, yes. Sound better... if your volume is cranked, yes. When playing at lower volumes, should sound the same.
Well I think by providing more headroom on the Yamaha everything should sound clearer crisper at louder volumes ..yes I know it will power just the front left n front right but that gives the Yamaha enough power to power the rest of the speakers with no distortion at louder levels ..but I hear u ..how's the Emotiva a300 amp decent ?

3541 - 3560 of 5363 Posts