AVS Forum banner

3921 - 3940 of 5356 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
ARC is part of HDMI-CEC, so it is normal that HDMI-CEC must be on both TV and AVR for ARC to work. However, it doesn't need to on for source devices like BD player, gaming console, or cable box.

BTW, do the 2080 and 3070 sound different once setup identically?
As I mentioned, I don't recall having to turn CEC on in order for ARC to work on this LG with my Denon x4200w, but I may be fuzzy on that. As for sonic differences, I'd say that in my room the 3070 does have a bit more spaciousness and oomph than the 2080 with an 8-point YPAO calibration done on both. I'd like to keep the 3070 just for its BT connectivity, which Yamaha decided to remove for the 2018 AVENTAGE receivers, but I hope to get these two issues ironed out before I make my final decision.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
ARC is part of HDMI-CEC, so it is normal that HDMI-CEC must be on both TV and AVR for ARC to work. However, it doesn't need to on for source devices like BD player, gaming console, or cable box.

BTW, do the 2080 and 3070 sound different once setup identically?
As I mentioned, I don't recall having to turn CEC on in order for ARC to work on this LG with my Denon x4200w, but I may be fuzzy on that. As for sonic differences, I'd say that in my room the 3070 does have a bit more spaciousness and oomph than the 2080 with an 8-point YPAO calibration done on both. I'd like to keep the 3070 just for its BT connectivity, which Yamaha decided to remove for the 2018 AVENTAGE receivers, but I hope to get these two issues ironed out before I make my final decision.
Every manufacturer has a different name for HDMI-CEC but I have the 2070 and a Samsung MU8000 TV, which both require HDMI-CEC to be on for ARC to work.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm a new owner of a RX-A2080, but I found a great deal on a new RX-A3070 so I currently have both in the house. I decided to try out the 3070 because of its Bluetooth *transmitter* ability, and I currently have it in my rack. However, I'm having two issues with it and was wondering if anyone here can offer any insight.

1) I can connect my bluetooth headphones to the receiver with no problem, select my Blu-ray player input, load up a movie and get audio on the headphones just fine. However, when I do this the receiver continues to send output to my 5.1 speaker setup as well, which pretty much negates the whole idea. If I mute the receiver it stops output to the mains and I still get audio on the headphones. Is this normal behavior? Is there any way to connect BT headphones to the 3070 and NOT be required to mute the receiver to shut off speaker output?

2) I am unable to get ARC working with my TV unless I have ARC *and* CEC enabled on BOTH the 3070 and my LG OLED. If I enable ARC only on the display, audio output on the LG resets to analog, so I have to have both ARC and CEC turned on there. If I have ARC enabled on the 3070, the front display reads "Analog" until I enable HDMI control on Yamaha too. Yes, I'm connected to the ARC input on the LG (HDMI 2) and yes, the other end of the cable is connected to the ARC output on the Yamaha (HDMI Out 2). Major PITA. Is there any way around this? On my Denon x4200w I didn't have this issue.

Thanks for any and all help!
If CEC is a problem just get a Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter, Female to Male (41232) from Amazon to put inline with the AVR and the TV, this will let you leave both ARC and CEC enabled on both devices but will stop the CEC signal by disconnecting pin 13 on the HDMI signal chain.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Anyone else ever have issues with their Android phone not always recognizing the 3070 in the app? The IP address for the 3070 has changed 3 times now, the last number is now .4. I keep resetting the connection on the receiver every week or so to make it recognizable on the app.

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
I'm a new owner of a RX-A2080, but I found a great deal on a new RX-A3070 so I currently have both in the house. I decided to try out the 3070 because of its Bluetooth *transmitter* ability, and I currently have it in my rack. However, I'm having two issues with it and was wondering if anyone here can offer any insight.

1) I can connect my bluetooth headphones to the receiver with no problem, select my Blu-ray player input, load up a movie and get audio on the headphones just fine. However, when I do this the receiver continues to send output to my 5.1 speaker setup as well, which pretty much negates the whole idea. If I mute the receiver it stops output to the mains and I still get audio on the headphones. Is this normal behavior? Is there any way to connect BT headphones to the 3070 and NOT be required to mute the receiver to shut off speaker output?

2) I am unable to get ARC working with my TV unless I have ARC *and* CEC enabled on BOTH the 3070 and my LG OLED. If I enable ARC only on the display, audio output on the LG resets to analog, so I have to have both ARC and CEC turned on there. If I have ARC enabled on the 3070, the front display reads "Analog" until I enable HDMI control on Yamaha too. Yes, I'm connected to the ARC input on the LG (HDMI 2) and yes, the other end of the cable is connected to the ARC output on the Yamaha (HDMI Out 2). Major PITA. Is there any way around this? On my Denon x4200w I didn't have this issue.

Thanks for any and all help!
1. Yup
2. You can use an optical cable instead. Denon and Marantz models feature a separate ARC setting which does not require HDMI-Control to be enabled on the AVR as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone else ever have issues with their Android phone not always recognizing the 3070 in the app? The IP address for the 3070 has changed 3 times now, the last number is now .4. I keep resetting the connection on the receiver every week or so to make it recognizable on the app.

You should be able to configure a static IP address for your 3070 in your router's settings. That may solve your problem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Android app is totally unreliable. Have to restart the app or reconnect to the network. iPad app, on the other hand, is rock solid, always recognizes both of my Yamaha AVRs - A2070 and A550 - without any issues

·
Registered
600 Posts
You should be able to configure a static IP address for your 3070 in your router's settings. That may solve your problem.
Will try that soon. I'm hard wiring it in soon as well. Maybe not doing wireless will help as well.

As far as Apple vs Android app, no experience with Apple at all. But besides the random new IP address, never had any issues with the app crashing or any other issues. Hope the wired in network will resolve. Thanks guys

·
The Village Idiot
9,534 Posts
Will try that soon. I'm hard wiring it in soon as well. Maybe not doing wireless will help as well.

As far as Apple vs Android app, no experience with Apple at all. But besides the random new IP address, never had any issues with the app crashing or any other issues. Hope the wired in network will resolve. Thanks guys
You can set the AVR's IP address to a static (no change) in the AVR setup in the networking section. I had the same problem with 2 Yamahas doing that, an older 773 that my brother has now, and the 2070 I bought last June. Great AVRs but why would Yamaha want to have the AVR arbitrarily change IP addresses? Every time I wanted to use the Web Control I had to get into my router to see which IP address the damned thing decided on this time! Works great with my Linux HTPC, once I got the static IP set. You can't bookmark a changing IP!

Reactions: blister64

·
Registered
244 Posts

I was not referring to seeing the app crashing. It is unreliable in part where it detects AVR(s).

As for the static IP - make your router issue the same IP for your AVR based on MAC address your AVR reports to the router or disable DHCP in the AVR setup, specify a static IP, network mask and gateway. But you still may want to make changes in the router's DHCP and reserve that IP. If you do not, the router may assign the IP you statically defined in the AVR to some other device, then you will have to fight that duplicate network IP problem which could have been totally prevented.

Reactions: blister64

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I was not referring to seeing the app crashing. It is unreliable in part where it detects AVR(s).

As for the static IP - make your router issue the same IP for your AVR based on MAC address your AVR reports to the router or disable DHCP in the AVR setup, specify a static IP, network mask and gateway. But you still may want to make changes in the router's DHCP and reserve that IP. If you do not, the router may assign the IP you statically defined in the AVR to some other device, then you will have to fight that duplicate network IP problem which could have been totally prevented.
Depending on the router, a range of IP address can be defined in the router for use by DHCP. Certainly a range of 100 addresses is plenty. The remainder of the IP addresses can be used as static IP addresses and can be assigned directly in the equipment, for example the AVR or thermostat for that matter.

For example, in a Netgear X4S router:

LAN Setup under Advanced:

The private network is 10 based:

IP Address of router: 10.0.0.1

Subnet mask: 256.256.256.0

Use Router as DHCP service box checked, that is YES

Starting IP address: 10.0.0.100

Ending IP address: 10.0.0.254

The above provides a huge set of addresses for DHCP: 100 thru 254

It also allows the addresses between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.99 to be assigned as static addresses either in the router or in the specific piece of equipment. In this setup with very few pieces of equipment requiring static addresses, the static addresses are assigned directly in the piece of equipment, a NAS for example.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some units could be badly manufactured with a defective power supply?

Hey everyone. It's me again with the question about the worrying high-pitch electrical buzz noise that comes from the RX-A3070 unit when on stand-by.:mad:

I got TWO RX-A3070 units and they both shown a weird symptom. First I bought one unit, told the problem to my retailer who replace my unit for a new one and the second one had the same symptom: there is a worrying high frequency noise coming from the internal transformer when the unit is on stand-by and plugged in an electrical outlet. I asked Yamaha Canada and Yamaha USA for some answers. Both replied that they are not aware of this problem, which I doubt because I've found reports here and there of Rx-A__70 customers who says having the same problem and told Yamaha about it. The best answer from Yamaha is to take my unit to a repair shop...

Is there some badly manufactured Rx-A__70 units that were sold? This is my question. So, again, for all Yamaha Aventage Rx-A1070/2070/3070 owners who reads this, please reply here if you experience the same problem. I need a greater amount of answers. :confused:

It's easy to verify: Simply plug your unit in an electrical outlet in a quiet room, let the receiver on "STAND-BY" (not turned on) and you will be able to hear the high-frequency noise that comes from the unit.

If we are enough people to report this problem, maybe we will finally have an answer from Yamaha. Is this worrying sound normal? If no, is it possible that some units were simply badly manufactured? And more importantly, if there is indeed a problem: given the price we've paid for a top-notch state of the art product that was badly manufactured with a defective transformer, don't we deserve a formal recall or a replacement?

Peace!

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Hey everyone. It's me again with the question about the worrying high-pitch electrical buzz noise that comes from the RX-A3070 unit when on stand-by./forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

I got TWO RX-A3070 units and they both shown a weird symptom. First I bought one unit, told the problem to my retailer who replace my unit for a new one and the second one had the same symptom: there is a worrying high frequency noise coming from the internal transformer when the unit is on stand-by and plugged in an electrical outlet. I asked Yamaha Canada and Yamaha USA for some answers. Both replied that they are not aware of this problem, which I doubt because I've found reports here and there of Rx-A__70 customers who says having the same problem and told Yamaha about it. The best answer from Yamaha is to take my unit to a repair shop...

Is there some badly manufactured Rx-A__70 units that were sold? This is my question. So, again, for all Yamaha Aventage Rx-A1070/2070/3070 owners who reads this, please reply here if you experience the same problem. I need a greater amount of answers. /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

It's easy to verify: Simply plug your unit in an electrical outlet in a quiet room, let the receiver on "STAND-BY" (not turned on) and you will be able to hear the high-frequency noise that comes from the unit.

If we are enough people to report this problem, maybe we will finally have an answer from Yamaha. Is this worrying sound normal? If no, is it possible that some units were simply badly manufactured? And more importantly, if there is indeed a problem: given the price we've paid for a top-notch state of the art product that was badly manufactured with a defective transformer, don't we deserve a formal recall or a replacement?

Peace!
I don't believe that some have it and others don't (for an exact model/year that is affected). Instead, I believe some can hear it and others cannot due to hearing capability, room noise floor, proximity to other devices making background/idle noises, etc.

My 2070 has had this sound since last August when I bought it and it has no caused any real problem at all. Can’t even hear it unless I'm standing a couple feet from it or closer.

I wouldn't worry and be aware some will say they don't have this issue but it may actually be quite widespread amongst these models for the above reasons and more.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I finally got around to swapping my new RX-A3070 into the old RX-A3050's spot.
Both dead silent in standby mode, just like the 10 y/o RX-V3900 before those.

My entire room full of very expensive toys runs through one of my 3 Monster Clean Power centers.
...even have one in the rear of the room for my JVC projector, rear subs and powered recliners lol!

I've had pretty good luck finding them at half price around Black Friday/Boxing Day.

I hate repeating myself, but after 4 decades using Yamaha Receivers exclusively, no problem, ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am wanting to pull the trigger on the 3070. I can jump on a smoking deal!
Just waiting on the spouses approval first.

I have looked at the 3080, other than being this years iterations, are there any benefits over the 3070 that the 3080 has?

I am familiar with Yamaha,
receivers had and have
RX-V890
RX-V1000
RX-V1800 (secondary TV)
RXA-2030 (Primary HT)

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I am wanting to pull the trigger on the 3070. I can jump on a smoking deal!
Just waiting on the spouses approval first.

I have looked at the 3080, other than being this years iterations, are there any benefits over the 3070 that the 3080 has?

I am familiar with Yamaha,
receivers had and have
RX-V890
RX-V1000
RX-V1800 (secondary TV)
RXA-2030 (Primary HT)
Check out the RX-A3080 thread,

IMHO, the RX-A3080 significant step Backwards, with as many features being stripped out as new ones added.
...and the primary reason I scrambled to find one of the few remaining RX-A3070's in my area (with a $600 discount!)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3002676-official-yamaha-rx-a3080-rx-a2080-rx-a1080-aventage-avr-thread.html

2018 updates vs 2017 Aventage Models:

• Surround Artificial Intelligence
  • Wireless Multi-Cast Surround
  • 1-More HDMI Output (Zone 2) for 3 Total
  • 2-XLR Pre-Outs (Front L/R Speakers)
  • New Back-Lit remote, with 8 Scene buttons
  • Bluetooth version 4.2 (receiver only)
  • 5.8Ghz WiFi support added
  • Improved GUI (?)
Removed from 2017 Models:

• 1-HMDI input from Front Panel (absent on 2018 models)
  • Number of Scenes reduced from 12 to 8 (4 less on 2018 models)
  • Bluetooth V2.1 Receiver and Transmitter (Transmitter eliminated on 2018 models)
  • Up-Mixing of Dolby Digital, DD+ and TrueHD will be limited to Dolby Surround (or a Yamaha DSP mode) on New 2018 models
    (2017 models can still use Neural:X Up-Mixer on any sound format, up to 7.1.4)
Reports from several users are that the new Surround AI is completely useless :p

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks,

I have read the 2 or 3 threads on the xx80 series.
Nothing there really piques my "gotta have it" interest.
HDR pass through is the biggest feature I am looking for

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Thanks,

I have read the 2 or 3 threads on the xx80 series.
Nothing there really piques my "gotta have it" interest.
HDR pass through is the biggest feature I am looking for

Yup,

My primary reason to go up from my RX-A3050 was for Dolby Vision pass through.
For my LG OLED, Oppo 203, and now XBOX ONE X will be getting DV too.

3921 - 3940 of 5356 Posts