AVS Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 5380 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
... I'll watch out what I ask in future. I figured getting point of views and advice from folks that might have owned both brands, or even one, can guide well, considering they're all experienced in these things.
An unsolicited suggestion (n.b. I am not a moderator): don't just post the same text in several threads, it appears for all practical purposes like "spamming." Instead, post a question specific to that thread, even if it means rewriting a bit. It's not what you ask, but how you do it. ;)

I hope that's all that needs to be said. Now, back to the RX-A discussions. Comparing the Denon to the Yamaha, both are probably fine AVRs. The claim that one brand sounds "warmer" than another is IMHO poppycock. It really comes down to features. I haven't the slightest idea how the X6400H compares to the RX-A3070, but the RX-A series is generally a bit higher quality than Yamaha's RX-V/HTR/TSR lines. You can compare their product pages online to see if one has something you NEED, or you can plug each of them in for a week and see how you like the interfaces.

I can tell you that Yamaha's AV Controller app for iOS and Android is one of the better hi-fi manufacturer bits of software I've used, and they regularly update capabilities for even my 2012 AVR. Compare with someone like Samsung, which actually dropped support for my TV after 3 years so their app was useless to me.

The Denon features Audyssey speaker setup and calibration, there are some who live and die by that app versus Yahama's YPAO. Running each for several days with speaker/room correction active (Yamaha calls theirs PEQ) may tip the scales for you. But definitely run both in un-corrected, "straight" modes as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
An unsolicited suggestion (n.b. I am not a moderator): don't just post the same text in several threads, it appears for all practical purposes like "spamming." Instead, post a question specific to that thread, even if it means rewriting a bit. It's not what you ask, but how you do it. ;)

I hope that's all that needs to be said. Now, back to the RX-A discussions. Comparing the Denon to the Yamaha, both are probably fine AVRs. The claim that one brand sounds "warmer" than another is IMHO poppycock. It really comes down to features. I haven't the slightest idea how the X6400H compares to the RX-A3070, but the RX-A series is generally a bit higher quality than Yamaha's RX-V/HTR/TSR lines. You can compare their product pages online to see if one has something you NEED, or you can plug each of them in for a week and see how you like the interfaces.

I can tell you that Yamaha's AV Controller app for iOS and Android is one of the better hi-fi manufacturer bits of software I've used, and they regularly update capabilities for even my 2012 AVR. Compare with someone like Samsung, which actually dropped support for my TV after 3 years so their app was useless to me.

The Denon features Audyssey speaker setup and calibration, there are some who live and die by that app versus Yahama's YPAO. Running each for several days with speaker/room correction active (Yamaha calls theirs PEQ) may tip the scales for you. But definitely run both in un-corrected, "straight" modes as well.

Thank you ChromeJob, appreciate your advice as well as further information on the AVRs.

I'm inclining towards the cheaper 6400 as I save almost seven large bills. But then some places I stumble upon Yamaha being more reliable and then some say the 6400 is a better build than cheaper Demons as it's the only one of the two made in Japan and has better components.

So confusing! Any light you may be able to shed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
clarification

Nope, sorry. And as already mentioned to you, the Denon thread(s) are where you can ask about Denon AVRs. Here in the Yamaha thread, most of us have found [Yamaha] products highly reliable.

You can follow my suggestions, or not. Best of luck.

Reactions: kumar2018

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nope, sorry. And as already mentioned to you, the Denon thread(s) are where you can ask about Denon AVRs. Here in the Yamaha thread, most of us have found their products highly reliable.

You can follow my suggestions, or not. Best of luck.

Thank you for all your help and advise ChromeJob, I appreciate it. I'll take Denon questions over to Denon threads. I'm leaning towards - Denon at this point. Considering price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for all your help and advise ChromeJob, I appreciate it. I'll take Denon questions over to Denon threads. I'm leaning towards - Denon at this point. Considering price.

IMO, if music is the most important aspect, especially 2-channel listening, keep the Yamaha.

But since you already have the X6400H, I would keep that instead just for the features alone -

1) Recent AirPlay 2 firmware update across the Denon line which may never arrive on the current Yamaha lineup at all.
2) eARC capability (without even requiring HDMI 2.1) which simplifies connectivity on compatible TVs for lossless audio passthrough.
3) Wifi 2.4GHz, 5GHz dual band connectivity; compared to Yamaha's 2.4GHz-only connectivity. This is especially useful for streaming.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hello. Any news regarding Alexa control? How does it compare to the 080 series in this aspect, is it the same?

·
Registered
198 Posts
IMO, if music is the most important aspect, especially 2-channel listening, keep the Yamaha.

But since you already have the X6400H, I would keep that instead just for the features alone -

1) Recent AirPlay 2 firmware update across the Denon line which may never arrive on the current Yamaha lineup at all.
2) eARC capability (without even requiring HDMI 2.1) which simplifies connectivity on compatible TVs for lossless audio passthrough.
3) Wifi 2.4GHz, 5GHz dual band connectivity; compared to Yamaha's 2.4GHz-only connectivity. This is especially useful for streaming.

Thank you for the advice Kris! I wish I could have kept BOTH the receivers but had to make a decision. Went with the X, but still love the Yamaha. Price was too much. Maybe I'll drop by the store in a couple of weeks and see if they slashed the price. Else I'll get a 3080 next year on its way out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I need a little help in setting up my RX-A1070 to make sure I'm getting the best sound for any given content being sent to it.

I have spent the past few months setting up the new 1070 (which I obtained in June) and my new LG OLED 65B7A (which I obtained in July) and my new 4k ATV (which I obtained in August). It has been a lengthy and somewhat tedious process as the 1070 and OLED are not simple devices, and there are so many parameters to check. But I finally have everything connected and easily accessed/configured with my (new) Harmony Ultimate remote. I'm loving Dolby Vision content on the 4kATV. The info I've found on this AVSForum has been extremely helpful and valuable, and I don't know what I would have done without it.

Now that I have my video issues addressed, I want to finish the audio setup to ensure I'm exploiting the 1070's audio capabilities.

Configuration:

My Xfinity X1 cable box and 4kATV are connected to the 1070 HDMI inputs (#2 and #3 respectively). I can also use the TV apps via my wired internet connection, with sound being returned to the 1070 through the ARC on HDMI 2. I have CEC turned off on all devices.

Speakers:

I have front L, R, and C speakers mounted below the TV (the L and R speakers are even with the outer edges of the TV), and have Surround L and R channels wired to high quality 8" Niles speakers in the ceiling above and just behind the couch normally used for watching TV. I also have 2 more Niles ceiling speakers connected as ATMOS. These speakers are located about half way between the couch and the TV.

Audio settings:

In my initial setting up of the 1070 earlier this summer, I read a lot about all the sound choices and "scene" selections available on the 1070, but never pursued it to the point of fully comprehending what I might want, as I wanted to deal with getting the TV working properly first.

I'm assuming it is possible to just have the 1070 programmed to play the most suitable/optimal sound profile (5.1 or 2.1 or whatever) for the signal it is receiving from my source content, so if one TV program on the X1 is delivering mono sound and another is delivering 5.1 sound, the 1070 would be programmed to output the best sound for any particular sound source. The same would apply to a source, such as on Netflix through the 4kATV, where ATMOS sound is delivered to the 1070 and it would automatically be implemented on my ATMOS speakers. I don't want to worry that I may not be hearing the best my AVR can give me for each type of content, and I don't want to have to make any audio adjustments every time I access new content.

If this is possible, then I need help with how to set it up. Any help will be appreciated, including just pointing me to where this is described adequately. Getting to this point in my setup has taken many many hours of reading this forum, replacing new HDMI cables with better ones to be able to get DV to work, calibrating the OLED, troubleshooting, etc. I'm pretty tenacious in nature, but my brain is getting tired of this stuff. I just want to enjoy my system now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi everyone. Same thing for me with my new Rx-A3070. That's pretty much worrying, unless there is an electronic professional around here that can provide a concrete explanation, then feel free to reply with some science please!

The noise comes from the unit, not from the speakers, and only during off/standby, whatever electrical outlet/power bar I use (and no matter if ECO mode is ON or OFF). For those who want to verify their unit for the same symptom, you can hear the hum/buzz noise when it's silent in the room by putting your ears close to the unit, as it's only loud as a whisper. The buzz sound stops completely when the unit is turned on. ATTENTION TO ALL RX-A1070/RX-A2070/RX-A3070 OWNERS, I'm trying to restart the poll so can you please take a look at this and confirm if you experience the same issue by replying to this thread? Being a large number of owners with the same issue might help us having an official answer from Yamaha. If it's normal then I would like to have an explanation, and if this is not normal then we might deserve a fix from Yamaha. I'm ready to start the discussion with Yamaha and get back to you, but I need more meat to put on the bone. --> Pluesan, do you have any record of your discussion with Yamaha?

Many thanks everyone.

Cheers!

Hi,
I have same humming on my new 3070 unit, only on standby regardless of settings or outlet it's plugged to, and can hear within 1 ft if room is quiet. I noticed it's louder when speakers are set to 8 Ohm, vs 6. Other than that the unit performs flawlessly. By putting ear super close to the unit it appears the noise is coming from the small transformer sitting in the left back corner.

Should I be worried and try to replace my unit?

The problem is I got it really cheap, and the seller is out of stock now, so I cannot exchange it.

BTW, my friend's 2080 also has humming on standby, but not as loud.

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know I probably am too lazy to read through my manual, but I recently bought my 3070 and I have a 7.2.4 on it with my 3010 for my external amplifier, but when I was using my 3050, I was able to program the AVR for Dolby Atmos and it showed on the 3050 display. I set up my theater to watch Apollo 13 and I pressed STRAIGHT and then INFO to get Audio Decoder and then the 3050 would show Atmos, but I tried this same process with the 3070 and all it shows is PCM. I may not be saying or doing this correctly. If not, (probably not), I would appreciate any and all help to make sure that DTS:X on Apollo 13 is set up correctly. Isn't DTS:X supposed to be displayed? It does show the Samsung as UBD M8500 on the top line.
I look forward to your comments and recommendations.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know I probably am too lazy to read through my manual, but I recently bought my 3070 and I have a 7.2.4 on it with my 3010 for my external amplifier, but when I was using my 3050, I was able to program the AVR for Dolby Atmos and it showed on the 3050 display. I set up my theater to watch Apollo 13 and I pressed STRAIGHT and then INFO to get Audio Decoder and then the 3050 would show Atmos, but I tried this same process with the 3070 and all it shows is PCM. I may not be saying or doing this correctly. If not, (probably not), I would appreciate any and all help to make sure that DTS:X on Apollo 13 is set up correctly. Isn't DTS:X supposed to be displayed? It does show the Samsung as UBD M8500 on the top line.

I look forward to your comments and recommendations.

Is the UBD M8500 HDMI audio set as bitstream?

·
Registered
113 Posts
are you using a single HDMI connection (Samsung -> Yamaha -> TV) or do you split audio/video?
I'm not sure about the bitstream. The Samsung is set as I got it from the factory. My Samsung is connected to my 3070 at AV2 then it goes out of the 3070 (I think it's the number 1 out) to my projector. I use to set my 3050 by making it straight then info to get the surround decode or something like that and it went directly to Atmos on my screen. One thing I may not have done is set the audio from the 4k disk. Is that necessary?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm not sure about the bitstream. The Samsung is set as I got it from the factory. My Samsung is connected to my 3070 at AV2 then it goes out of the 3070 (I think it's the number 1 out) to my projector. I use to set my 3050 by making it straight then info to get the surround decode or something like that and it went directly to Atmos on my screen. One thing I may not have done is set the audio from the 4k disk. Is that necessary?

Samsung’s factory setting is PCM. You have to change it to Bitstream (Unprocessed).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Samsung’s factory setting is PCM. You have to change it to Bitstream (Unprocessed).

I appreciate everyone's help. It was my 70 year old brain that couldn't figure it out. However, what I did was put Apollo 13 4K disk into my Samsung, but I didn't finish the process. After I loaded the 4k disk, I started it and pressed straight on my 3070, then info, then when the start of the disk was opened, I selected AUDIO, then DTS:X and it now shows UBD M8500 on the first line and DTS:X MA and everything seems to be right. Do I still need to set my Samsung to BITSTREAM?

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
Whew! I just finished reading this whole thread. It took me a few days but I'm glad I did.

I just placed an order for the A2070. I was shooting for the A3070 but couldn't justify the price difference. I'm running 5.1 now and will add on-ceiling speakers for 5.1.4 and don't see myself needing the 11ch provided by the A3070. (would've liked that better DAC though)

Let me add my $0.02 though on Yamaha. Most of the disappointment I've read in this thread centers around YPAO, and predominately around it's bass management (or lack of). I get that. They advertise automated setup and leave you hanging on the bass. Realistically, I think it's difficult to have automated bass management due to the physics involved (placement, room size, etc.) Too many variables. It's possible of course but probably not cost effective yet.

I do bass management myself and I really don't *want* Yamaha to do it. I've got a DSP on my subwoofer amp, a UMIK microphone, and REW on a laptop. I'm more than happy to mess with it. It's fun. It wouldn't be fun for everyone and I totally understand that but it is for me. It's a hobby.

As for YPAO, I don't use it. I *am* excited about trying the new RSC feature that's part of YPAO on these units though. I think that's potentially a big deal.

What I *do* use is the manual PEQ adjustments that Yamaha gives us. I do wish that there were more frequencies available for adjustment but they provide enough to get the job done. To me, having the ability to EQ the system ourselves, manually, *in* the AVR is a huge win.

Beyond that, of the handful of Yamaha AVRs that I've owned over the years (including three that I still have and use), they've never failed me, I like how they sound, and I think they provide great value for the price.

Thanks for reading my rant :) Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this thread as I get familiar with my A2070.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I did something similar with my A2070. I do not have, and don’t want, a Mini DSP, so I used REW to measure and then I manually changed the frequencies in the manual EQ. Not perfect, but so far so good

·
Registered
17 Posts
New here and had a question hopefully someone can help with. I just recently upgraded to the 2070 and I can one thing out. When I turned it on it’s on AV1 and then the audio switches to audio 1. However I have no audio and just video until I hit the button for AV1 again. Anyone tell me how I can change that setting so when I power on it doesn’t switch over to audio 1 analog?

It’s been driving me crazy thanks advance for any help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi everyone. Same thing for me with my new Rx-A3070. That's pretty much worrying, unless there is an electronic professional around here that can provide a concrete explanation, then feel free to reply with some science please!

The noise comes from the unit, not from the speakers, and only during off/standby, whatever electrical outlet/power bar I use (and no matter if ECO mode is ON or OFF). For those who want to verify their unit for the same symptom, you can hear the hum/buzz noise when it's silent in the room by putting your ears close to the unit, as it's only loud as a whisper. The buzz sound stops completely when the unit is turned on. ATTENTION TO ALL RX-A1070/RX-A2070/RX-A3070 OWNERS, I'm trying to restart the poll so can you please take a look at this and confirm if you experience the same issue by replying to this thread? Being a large number of owners with the same issue might help us having an official answer from Yamaha. If it's normal then I would like to have an explanation, and if this is not normal then we might deserve a fix from Yamaha. I'm ready to start the discussion with Yamaha and get back to you, but I need more meat to put on the bone. --> Pluesan, do you have any record of your discussion with Yamaha?

Many thanks everyone.

Cheers!
@grosraton and @pluesan, did either of you get the noise issue resolved? I am in the UK and have had the exact same noise from two A3070s. I describe the noise as a fizzing, squealing type of noise, rather than buzzing or humming, which is constant, and lightly fluctuates, either at random or to a set pattern/ cycle. I am on my second unit (original unit was not sold because of the noise). Another owner on the AVforums has recently posted, complaining about the same noise. I am currently speaking with Yamaha Support, but they did not answer to me asking them if this is normal or within their tolerance. They have so far asked me three questions to try and diagnose the issue, but none apply. I am awaiting their response. I have also linked this page to them. This noise is not normal, to me, and points to either poorly sourced component(s) and or poor manufacturing/ assembly. I have never had another receiver do this. My second unit is worse than my first, the fizzing and squealing is louder. For the most part, I cannot be in the same room when it is in standby, unless my worse ear which does not pick up higher frequencies is constantly facing away from the direction of the receiver. It is very, very distressing and frustrating. However, fortunately, my A3070 is sat back left of seating position, so thankfully not in line with my right ear (better ear, which mainly picks up the squealing noise and higher frequencies in general).

I risk a service fee sending it in and Yamaha not finding it to be a fault, or worse, not being able to hear it. So, I am concerned. I really do not want to give my A3070 up because I absolutely love this receiver and next to my Home Cinema XTZ M6 speakers, it is the best AV purchase I have ever made. I also don't want to undergo having to spend the time and money trying other receivers out, demos withstanding. It took three receivers before my A3070, until I realised that this was the next AVR for me. I do want to eventually go wit ha 13 channel AVR but I cannot afford to, yet. Again, I love the A3070, apart from this noise.

I hope either of you, or anyone else has had an explanation from Yamaha. Otherwise, I am very curious as to what the outcome was, or if you decided to keep your A3070 or just ignore the noise.

Best wishes,

fallinlight

4001 - 4020 of 5380 Posts