AVS Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 5362 Posts

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I totally understand your position. I don't like the noise either.

I tested my old RX V473. It's been sitting in my closet for a few weeks. Plugged it in with nothing connected (red light, standby) no noise. Turned it on. No noise. Kept it on all day until it was nice and warm. No noise. Selected it off to standby mode after having been on all day. No noise.

So. I am well within my 60 day return period with Crutchfield. I could return the A2080 and get the A3070 for $150 dollars less. Hmmm. :) I'm also considering switching to the A1080, and eventual outboard amp. Opinions?
Going up from a 2080 to a 3070 gets you 2 more internal amps (7 to 9) and 2 more process channels ( 9 to 11)
Going down from a 2080 to a 1080 drops 2 internal amps (9 to 7) and drops your processed channels (9 to 7) as well.

Just in case you were not aware, adding an external amp to a 1080, is still limited to 7 channels processed, So 7.1 or 5.1.2 only
Unlike Denon/Marantz lower models, only the top Flagship Yamaha 3060/3070/3080 can expand the number of channels by adding an external amp.

...So unless you just want an outboard amp for extra power, you probably don't want to step down.

1080 = 7Ch so you can do 7.1 or 5.1.2 (and both subs are on an internal Y splitter)
2080 = 9Ch so you can do 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 (Individual Sub outs, EQ'd separately)
3080 = 9Ch on its own can do 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 (Individual Sub outs, EQ'd separately)
But only the 3080 has 11 CH processing, so can expand to 7.2.4 with an external amp added for at least 2 channels

I went with the 3070 myself, it was $600 cheaper than the new 3080 at my dealer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you @Matthew Pool, I appreciate it. I haven't read up on or heard any of the 80 series, so cannot comment, sorry. Sorry, I forget, do you have the noise with your A2080? I think I am holding on to my beloved A3070 till I snag a good deal on a good 13 channel amp, as I said before, my ultimate end goal with my current system is 9.2.4.
Yes. I do have the noise when on standby with my A2080. Within a foot I can hear a slight cycling fizz/hum/buzz. When I am a normal distance away it is inaudible. When powered on it changes to a very slight hum which I believe to be normal. As far as the standby noise and whether it could be indicative of future issues, I do not believe so, but of course I could be wrong. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Going up from a 2080 to a 3070 gets you 2 more internal amps (7 to 9) and 2 more process channels ( 9 to 11)
Going down from a 2080 to a 1080 drops 2 internal amps (9 to 7) and drops your processed channels (9 to 7) as well.

Just in case you were not aware, adding an external amp to a 1080, is still limited to 7 channels processed, So 7.1 or 5.1.2 only
Unlike Denon/Marantz lower models, only the top Flagship Yamaha 3060/3070/3080 can expand the number of channels by adding an external amp.

...So unless you just want an outboard amp for extra power, you probably don't want to step down.

1080 = 7Ch so you can do 7.1 or 5.1.2 (and both subs are on an internal Y splitter)
2080 = 9Ch so you can do 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 (Individual Sub outs, EQ'd separately)
3080 = 9Ch on its own can do 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 (Individual Sub outs, EQ'd separately)
But only the 3080 has 11 CH processing, so can expand to 7.2.4 with an external amp added for at least 2 channels

I went with the 3070 myself, it was $600 cheaper than the new 3080 at my dealer.
The only reason I went AVR instead of an integrated amp was to keep the LFE channel and the latest surround sound codecs down-mixed into 2.1, 2.2, possibly a terminal 3.2.

My philosophy with audio so far has been to buy as few parts as possible, so I have more money to spend on each part. When I talked to the people at a local audio store they recommended upgrading my speakers first (my old system was a Yamaha RX V473 and Energy rc-micro home theater in a box set-up).

They were correct because I was very surprised how well the R3's sounded with my old V473. And of course much much better now that I have Tidal premium and the A2080. :)

You helped me out quite a bit with this post because I mixed up which ones had discrete sub outputs. I thought my A2080 did not have discrete sub outputs... Since I probably will be .2 at some point it's another reason to keep my A2080. The only reason I thought about getting the A1080 (other than possibly having no noise in stby) was because I still don't know if my R3's would sound better with more amplification. They do dip to about 3 ohms at about 45 hz and 150 hz. I will be in medium sized rooms for the near future so i'm not sure more amplification is necessary.

When my Rythmik F12SE arrives any minute from now, I will most likely be filtering out anything 80 hz or below to the sub. So the 45hz point will not be a factor.

The thought with the A1080 was I could lower my cost, add an outboard 200-300 watt 2 channel amp, and possibly? get the absolute max sound quality from them given the slightly more difficult to power dynamic range. Bear with me. I'm still learning about this amplification thing. :)

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
... I am well within my 60 day return period with Crutchfield. I could return the A2080 and get the A3070 for $150 dollars less. Hmmm. :) I'm also considering switching to the A1080, and eventual outboard amp. Opinions?
Based on Piomaniac's very detailed analysis, I'd strongly consider returning the AVR you're a little annoyed with, and shoot for the 3070. Still pretty new and so will get firmware updates (just got one 10/4/18) for a while. Just make sure there's no new feature on the 2080 that you think you gotta have.

Try doing a product page to product page comparison. Also, Piomaniac has pretty damn explicit comparisons of new models to older ones in the initial posts of these threads.

Reactions: Matthew Pool

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Yamaha noise

I have a newer a-3070 and it is completely silent on standby with my older ears touching it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Based on Piomaniac's very detailed analysis, I'd strongly consider returning the AVR you're a little annoyed with, and shoot for the 3070. Still pretty new and so will get firmware updates (just got one 10/4/18) for a while. Just make sure there's no new feature on the 2080 that you think you gotta have.

Try doing a product page to product page comparison. Also, Piomaniac has pretty damn explicit comparisons of new models to older ones in the initial posts of these threads.

@fallinlight @PioManiac

I called Crutchfield and ordered the A3070. They had two left in stock. When I return my A2080 they will refund me $150 so I'm upgrading, except it's last years model, and I get a refund... :) I don't believe there are any features I'll be missing going to last years model.

And I will be able to compare the A2080 and A3070 to see if the noise is absent in the A3070. like @wildbill136 mentioned, he does not have noise from his newer A3070..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info. Interesting that @fallinlight has an A3070 that does have the noise.
Well, there are at least three or four 70 model owners across AVS and AV who have complained about the exact same noise. And, the clue is in, "older ears touching it" - no offense intended whatsoever @wildbill136.

Anyway, I've made my so called peace with it and am rocking some music and videos tonight... awaiting my JVC N7... tick tock...

·
Registered
26 Posts
@fallinlight @PioManiac

I called Crutchfield and ordered the A3070. They had two left in stock. When I return my A2080 they will refund me $150 so I'm upgrading, except it's last years model, and I get a refund... :) I don't believe there are any features I'll be missing going to last years model.

And I will be able to compare the A2080 and A3070 to see if the noise is absent in the A3070. like @wildbill136 mentioned, he does not have noise from his newer A3070..
Good move I think, not having read up on the 80 models properly, I did skim things on release, and I noted nothing of worthy interest for me, or much that was new. A fellow AVforums friend here in the UK, also chose the A3070 over the 80 for the same reason, plus the good discounts available at the moment. The A3070 is an absolute stunning receiver and I am grateful to own one. You will love it :)

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
@fallinlight @PioManiac

I happen to own a number of the previous Yamaha AVRs, including a 3070 and a 2070, plus a 3080 and a 5200. I will say that there are two new features on the 3080 and 5200 that I like do miss with my older models. They are the new UI, easier to access stuff that I want to see or change), and the new Surround:AI...I find that I really like this when watching movies, works particularly with Dolby Atmos.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Dunno if it's related to the xx70 series versus xx80 series, but I think Pio or someone uncovered that the web control, and more specifically the undocumented /setup menu, is missing on the newer ones. Major disappointment to uber HT geeks.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
The minute the specs were officially released on the 3080's
I literally scrambled to track down one of the few remaining 3070's locally to replace my 3 y/o RX-A3050
(My 3050 had no Dolby Vision pass through, and no Amazon Echo/Alexa future support)

None of the new features in the 80's appealed to me, (YMMV)
The number of scenes dropping from 12 to 8 was a huge negative (for me, I use all 12!)
Another deal breaker for me was dropping the number of HDMI inputs from 8 to 7, Eliminated the Front one in the hidden panel on the 80 series.
I use that all the time for running REW readings/corrections with my Laptop, also extremely handy for plugging a temporary device like a camcorder/GoPro.

The new 80 series also wont allow you to use Neural:X as your UpMixer on any Dolby Digital based audio bit stream.

The $600 I saved on the Heavily Discounted, Discontinued RX-A3070 will pay for a couple new 4K/UHD movies every month for the next Year :p
I sold my old RX-A3050 to a friend for $1k (He needed a 4K AVR to replace his old RX-V1800 because he has a new4K JVC (that doesn't need Dolby Vision pass through)

The first post in this thread listed most of the Pro'/Con's of the 80 - 70 series
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3002676-official-yamaha-rx-a3080-rx-a2080-rx-a1080-aventage-avr-thread.html

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Dunno if it's related to the xx70 series versus xx80 series, but I think Pio or someone uncovered that the web control, and more specifically the undocumented /setup menu, is missing on the newer ones. Major disappointment to uber HT geeks.

It's since been found,
its just that finding instructions to get to it in the user manual has been omitted mysteriously.

A new 2080 User that first reported it was not there just didn't know the secret to adding the "/setup" after the IP address.

Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3002676-official-yamaha-rx-a3080-rx-a2080-rx-a1080-aventage-avr-thread.html#post56803692

·
Registered
26 Posts
I happen to own a number of the previous Yamaha AVRs, including a 3070 and a 2070, plus a 3080 and a 5200. I will say that there are two new features on the 3080 and 5200 that I like do miss with my older models. They are the new UI, easier to access stuff that I want to see or change), and the new Surround:AI...I find that I really like this when watching movies, works particularly with Dolby Atmos.
I personally do not touch any DSP settings as believe and prefer to listen to the track as the author intended. I have the same approach to my surround speakers being direct firing. So, surround AI would not be something for me. That is nice to ear about the new UI, I do find it the A3070s clunky and a bit long winded.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Oh, I misunderstood, I thought that this...

... was no longer supported. Good deal, because this hidden setup menu whips the llama's butt.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Oh, I misunderstood, I thought that this...

... was no longer supported. Good deal, because this hidden setup menu whips the llama's butt.
Yep, this is still available on the 80 series, and the latest firmware update added back Bluetooth transmission functionality.

·
The Village Idiot
9,534 Posts
The thought with the A1080 was I could lower my cost, add an outboard 200-300 watt 2 channel amp, and possibly? get the absolute max sound quality from them given the slightly more difficult to power dynamic range. Bear with me. I'm still learning about this amplification thing. :)

You might want to consider an integrated amp instead of a stand-alone amp if music is important. I have a Yamaha A-S1000, it's a tank at 49 pounds and gives pure analog sound. It's 'only' rated at 90wpc (140wpc into 4 ohms) but they are very clean watts and the amp is high current. When the AVR (Yamaha 2070) is off only the main L/R speakers are being driven. The S1000 has direct amp inputs which make it easy to use in a multi-channel setup like I have, a 5.2 setup. An integrated amp without direct amp inputs won't work. Another term for direct amp inputs is home theater bypass, turning the integrated amp into a stand-alone amp. The Marantz 8005 & 8006 integrated amps also have this feature. As do some preamps, like Emotiva's XSP-1 and USP-1, Parasound 2100 pre, and their Halo integrated. I chose an integrated amp because I'm tired of all the cables needed in a preamp/amp setup. IMO sound does not suffer at all vs preamp/amp setups. YMMV, of course!

I've compared using the 2070 to drive the big Polks vs using the S1000, and no subs on, what I hear is a very definite improvement in the lower bass area and it's quite distinct. Using the SVS sub helps the 2070 in the lower bass area but it isn't perfect. If I didn't have the S1000 I could easily live with the 2070, but I'd have to kick the SVS sub into action. With the S1000 there is no need for the sub.

FWIW the 2070 is quite awesome on it's own. I was torn between getting the 1070 vs the 2070 but when a killer combo deal came up for the 2070 & the 705 Polks it was a no-brainer. I jumped all over that deal. I posted that deal in the sticky thread for receiver deals, and actual prices can be posted there. I got both for around the street price of the 2070, how can you pass that up???

My intention was to sell the Polks for a decent price and cash in on a great deal on the 2070, but after hearing them in my MLP I was like whoa! The low bass has grain and texture I never heard out of the Song Towers, and the song towers do bass very well, FWIW. These Polks are the real deal. The ring radiator tweeter is very smooth, and the mid and low bass is kick ass! Low bass comes from a pair of 5x7" flat panel woofers, and they do an awesome job. I'm still stunned at how good they are considering how little respect they get on these forums. Take a listen to one of the LSiM model speakers before disparaging them. They did replace a pair of very good Salk Song Towers, after all! I'm using the Song Towers in the back room vinyl setup with an Onkyo 8270 stereo receiver, the one with 4 HDMI ports. Very handy unit and it produces very good sounds. One of these days I'll hook up the S1000 to that setup and see if the Onkyo is missing anything. I rather doubt it, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I got my new A2070 set up last night. It is replacing my A800 and I'm currently running 5.1 (soon to be 5.1.4) I like like the A2070. Honestly, it doesn't sound much different from the old A800, but the YPAO did a better job on the A2070. One of the reasons I wanted it was the addition of RSC. It certainly does something. It cleared up a couple of dips in the center channel response that PEQ on the A800 could never get.

I ran YPAO, copied "Flat" to "manual" and tweaked it a bit. Differences could be attributed to placement differences between the YPAO mic and my UMIK mic I was using (with REW) to check what YPAO did and tweak it. I was able to get the center channel, which I've always had trouble with, dialed in just right. I could never do that with the A800 and ended up using a miniDSPHD between the A800 and external amplifier. The miniDSPHD is not necessary now.

One *really* odd thing though. YPAO nailed the distances and levels, but everything is offset by 10db! My LCR speakers are set at around -1.0 to -2.0 and the sub is at +6 (which coincidentally, is about 10db hotter than the A800 had both the LCRs and sub).

So when I run my REW sweeps at -10db with the MV set at -10db, I should see 85db as the average right? Nope, I get 95db. If I change either REW or the AVR's MV to -20 (so -20db on the AVR and -10db on REW), then I get 85db. I should get 75db.

The only thing I can figure is that YPAO "couldn't get there", meaning, the LCR speakers would've all needed to be less than -10db to match proper reference level and it couldn't do it. My LCRs have 97db sensitivity and my external amp has a voltage gain of 28db (Outlaw 770). So I'm just guessing that the A2070 just dropped everything by 10db so it could hit reference. Anyone else seen that? I'll definitely play with it again, but I wasn't seeing things. I confirmed with my "go to" music and movie scenes that I use to "see where I'm at" and sure enough, I know where I like to set the MV for each disk and they all needed to be set -10db. For example, where I would always set a live performance of 'Hotel California' to -12db MV, now I had it at -22db. Odd.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I had an idea about the 10db offset I am seeing (above post). It could be YPAO Volume. I was running REW sweeps at -10db and had the A2070's MV at -20db; that's in 'YPAO Volume' territory. How do you turn it off? Do I need to run YPAO again?

EDIT: Never mind. I found YPAO Volume in the "Options" menu. Wonder why it's not shown in the main onscreen menus?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not quite sure in which forum that issues were mentioned that their receivers are making "noise". There were also concerns about the installation of the latest Firmware 2.60, that after it was installed, their receivers were not their usual great self. I have the RX-A3050 and the RX-A3070 AV Receivers. First, I have not heard any "noise" and maybe I misunderstood what was actually being referred to. As far as Firmware 2.60, I have not installed it because there were a few references in the forum. The first item was to correct the problems in Airplay. I had to do some research to find out what Airplay is. I found out Airplay concerns Apple hardware/software, of which, I have never used anything by Apple, so I was clueless as to what was being said. The other has to do with DSD Disk, which I also had to research to find out what it was. Much to my surprise, it is in reference to surround sound disks, i.el, SACD, of which I have a small inventory of SACD music disks, of which, my favorites are The Moody Blues "On the Threshold of a Dream", "Days of Future Passed" and "Seventh Sojourn", Alan Parsons Project, "On Air", and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". I also like the Allman Brother's "Eat a Peach" and Marvin Gaye's "Collection". There is another eclectic genre with studio musicians called "Mystic Moods Orchestra" that was produced by Brad S. Miller. Mr. Miller started out recording train sounds in stereo, then came his "Mystic Moods Orchestra" that were recorded in multi-channel in the early 60's which included rain, trains, and other background sounds recorded with music. This all started when a D.J. played music on one turntable and train and rain sounds on another at the same time. Mr. Miller started company that made quality 180 gram vinyl records sold as "Original Master Recordings". If you can get your hands on any of his recordings, you will love it. My 47 year old son thinks I am crazy, which I am. Anyway, that is the history of DSD recordings.
I mentioned my concerns about the sounds from the AVR as well as the problems with FW 2.60 to Yamaha's Support Group and this is what I was told:

"OK, I can honestly say I haven't heard anything. If anybody should, it would be me. I'll keep a lookout and try to investigate. "

Best to all.
JD

4041 - 4060 of 5362 Posts