AVS Forum banner

4101 - 4120 of 5389 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
For myself, not at all, I was answering this question...

There is almost zero benefit in mdbunting choosing the CX-A5100 over his current 3070,
and the CX-A5100 is almost 4 years old, so not even sure he would be able to find a new unit, so the 5200 is more likely available.

The Marantz pre/pro still gets my vote, if he's got the $$$$
Trying to choose between the 5100 and 5200 myself. Leaning toward the 5200 because it's newer and although I can still find a few brand new 5100's, the price isn't any less than I can get the 5200 for.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I am asking this here because it seems a number of you here have either multiple yamaha units or have owned several versions.

Does anyone know if the DSP board/chip (?) has been updated in this model?

I have a 3020 that is slowly fading with the no audio at startup issue. After chasing what I thought was some sort of hdmi issue I started reading here and found others with the same issue in threads as far back as the a3000 up until the 3050.

Was strongly considering picking up a lightly used 3070 to replace the dying 3020 but starting to have concerns I'll be in the same boat a year or so from now.

Has anyone seen that issue on a xx70 model?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Firmware 2.60

Can anybody speak to any issues with the new Firmware 2.60 ? Have not installed it yet & want to know if I should.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Can anybody speak to any issues with the new Firmware 2.60 ? Have not installed it yet & want to know if I should.

Thanks

I have been having more issues with my 3070 connecting to the WiFi properly. It can be pinged, but I cannot get to the web interface or access it on the app until I send a WOL packet.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
I am asking this here because it seems a number of you here have either multiple yamaha units or have owned several versions.

I have a 3020 that is slowly fading with the no audio at startup issue. After chasing what I thought was some sort of hdmi issue I started reading here and found others with the same issue in threads as far back as the a3000 up until the 3050.

Was strongly considering picking up a lightly used 3070 to replace the dying 3020 but starting to have concerns I'll be in the same boat a year or so from now.

FWIW I have never seen this on any of my x030, x050, x060, x070, or x080 receivers. Indeed, I've had zero problems with any of my Aventage receivers (altogether about 12 receivers, 6 of which I still have in service).

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

I've owned several Yamaha processors and receivers over the years. Other than the very early models (DSPA-1000, 2070,3090) with the motorized selector switch that can cause problems after a few years, not a single problem including the 10 year old RX-Z11 I'm currently using.

·
Registered
520 Posts
FWIW I have never seen this on any of my x030, x050, x060, x070, or x080 receivers. Indeed, I've had zero problems with any of my Aventage receivers (altogether about 12 receivers, 6 of which I still have in service).
On my 3060, I have had about half a dozen times where there was no sound when it powered on.

A power cycle fixed it each time.

I hope a total failure is not imminent! :-(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Question on setup with the following pieces of equipment for a 7.2.4 Atmos system:

- Yamaha RX-A3070
- Emotiva XPA-3 (L/C/R)
- Emotiva XPA-7 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
- Emotiva XPA-7 (Atmos Heights x4 - FP & RP)

In the setup menu/speaker configurations, I do not see a setting for utilizing all 3 of my Emotiva amps. I do see 7.2.4 [ext RP], 7.2.4 [ext Front], 7.2.4 [ext FP+RP].

What am I doign wrong? What configuration do I select...or do I have too many amps?

Might I be better off stepping up to something like the Marantz 8805? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
631 Posts
The A3070 is powerful enough, a power amp for the Atmos speakers is way too much. Instead of getting rid of the Yamaha, why don’t you remove the Emotiva for the height speakers and FP-RP?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Question on setup with the following pieces of equipment for a 7.2.4 Atmos system:

- Yamaha RX-A3070
- Emotiva XPA-3 (L/C/R)

In the setup menu/speaker configurations, I do not see a setting for utilizing all 3 of my Emotiva amps. I do see 7.2.4 [ext RP], 7.2.4 [ext Front], 7.2.4 [ext FP+RP].

What am I doign wrong? What configuration do I select...or do I have too many amps?

Might I be better off stepping up to something like the Marantz 8805? Thanks for any help!
just use basic (and connect all amps to appropriate pre-outs on back of 3070 with rca cables)... leave the speaker posts disconnected (built in amps of 3070)

Reactions: mdbunting

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The A3070 is powerful enough, a power amp for the Atmos speakers is way too much. Instead of getting rid of the Yamaha, why don’t you remove the Emotiva for the height speakers and FP-RP?
true but he can use all amps if desired... the 11.2ch pre-outs on back of 3070 are always active and using basic amp assign is the way to go

·
Registered
631 Posts
true but he can use all amps if desired... the 11.2ch pre-outs on back of 3070 are always active and using basic amp assign is the way to go

Absolutely. I thought it was not possible to use 3 external amps, sorry

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
just use basic (and connect all amps to appropriate pre-outs on back of 3070 with rca cables)... leave the speaker posts disconnected (built in amps of 3070)
That's incorrect

For 7.2.4 you need to assign at least two channels as externally amplified when processing 11 channels.
You can use Front, Rear Presence, or Front + Rear presence. (it doesn't matter that some or all channels are externally amplified)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
That's incorrect

For 7.2.4 you need to assign at least two channels as externally amplified when processing 11 channels.
You can use Front, Rear Presence, or Front + Rear presence. (it doesn't matter that some or all channels are externally amplified)

+1 on this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess my question now is...I can't just have ALL channels externally amplified? I must choose from one of the 3 options [ext RP] [ext Front] ext FP+RP]?

If I choose [ext RP] - I'm only going to be using the Emotiva Amps for the Rear Presence speakers?

If I choose [ext Front] - just the Front speakers?

If I choose [ext FP+RP] - just the Front and Rear Presence speakers?

I'm sure that I'm missing something here...sorry guys! Thanks for the assistance!

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I guess my question now is...I can't just have ALL channels externally amplified? I must choose from one of the 3 options [ext RP] [ext Front] ext FP+RP]?

If I choose [ext RP] - I'm only going to be using the Emotiva Amps for the Rear Presence speakers?

If I choose [ext Front] - just the Front speakers?

If I choose [ext FP+RP] - just the Front and Rear Presence speakers?

I'm sure that I'm missing something here...sorry guys! Thanks for the assistance!
ALL the Pre-Outs are hot (Active)

You can externally amplify every single channel in a 9 channel setup with Basic amp assignment.

When you want 11 channels active, You MUST select one of those three options in the Amp Assignment menu.
Then you Hook all your amps to the Pre-Outs, run all your speaker wire connections off your external amps, and run YPAO,

IT WILL Work, just do it. ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's incorrect

no, in this case it's correct, since no internal power stages are used (11 external channels)
you need to do this special assignment only if you want to use the internal amplifiers, just to tell the AVR which channels it needs to power. As every channel gets its own external power amp (no speaker terminal in use, pre out only) you don't need to do it.
my CX-A5100 doesn't even have this setup topic, since there are no internal amps there is no need for it.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts

- Yamaha RX-A3070
- Emotiva XPA-3 (L/C/R)

Are you saying you actually tried it with Basic Amp assignment and it did not work?
...or are you just "anticipating" that you think it "might" not work?

You may be creating an issue that does not exist.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you saying you actually tried it with Basic Amp assignment and it did not work?
...or are you just "anticipating" that you think it "might" not work?

You may be creating an issue that does not exist.
I went through a few settings real quick but was confused somewhat on what I was seeing in the menu (was trying to make sure that I utlized all the external amp/channels)...but when i didn't see that as one of the options I came here for help :)

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I went through a few settings real quick but was confused somewhat on what I was seeing in the menu (was trying to make sure that I utlized all the external amp/channels)...but when i didn't see that as one of the options I came here for help :)
So you don't actually know you have a problem yet? :rolleyes:

Just run it in Basic and let us know if it worked or not. Simple.
...it won't blow up if the amp assignment selection was wrong.

4101 - 4120 of 5389 Posts