AVS Forum banner

5201 - 5220 of 5380 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello, I am writing to you from Spain, I bought a yamaha RX A3070 a few months ago and I have had a hard time getting used to it since I come from Denon and it is true that it is superior in calibration but especially in the subwoofer. The thing is, I hardly find any information about adjustments, measurements, calibrations or tricks. Could someone tell me if it is better to calibrate 8 points or less and how to place the microphone. thanks for everything and a hug from spain

·
Registered
18,019 Posts
Hello, I am writing to you from Spain, I bought a yamaha RX A3070 a few months ago and I have had a hard time getting used to it since I come from Denon and it is true that it is superior in calibration but especially in the subwoofer. The thing is, I hardly find any information about adjustments, measurements, calibrations or tricks. Could someone tell me if it is better to calibrate 8 points or less and how to place the microphone. thanks for everything and a hug from spain
Start by reading the owners manual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi thanks your reply. I have read it and after two months and an infinity of tests, calibrations and measurements with rew now after so long trying to leave it to my liking I have achieved a sound that I like. I have read the manual and everything that I have found that is not much especially when it comes to calibrations, I will continue testing and if someone can advise me some kind of calibration that works well I will appreciate it and I will try it thank you very much

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
hi thanks your reply. I have read it and after two months and an infinity of tests, calibrations and measurements with rew now after so long trying to leave it to my liking I have achieved a sound that I like. I have read the manual and everything that I have found that is not much especially when it comes to calibrations, I will continue testing and if someone can advise me some kind of calibration that works well I will appreciate it and I will try it thank you very much
A lot of the advice in the Audyssey threads and articles/guides also applies to multi point YPAO.

A few differences I'm aware of:

1. YPAO is pretty much useless for sub EQ, not just under ~30Hz, but in general. However, the 20x0 and 30x0 have separate levels and distances for dual subs, which is like Sub EQ HT on the Audyssey based AVRs minus the (actual) sub EQ part.

2. Audyssey only uses the first mic position for setting levels, distances, and crossovers. YPAO uses an average of all mic positions, though the first spot is likely given more 'weight' than the rest.

3. The speaker EQ includes both the hidden impulse response filters (RSC, which is Reflected Sound Control) and the visible PEQ filters you can tweak if copied to the manual PEQ preset.

The sub EQ is PEQ only and is likely only useful if you tweak it manually in REW with the UMIK-1 calibrated USB mic.

Audyssey uses the impulse response filters throughout everything and there are no tweak able PEQ filters. However, the Audyssey editor app on mobile devices is probably a much easier way to tweak EQ and other useful settings as it is more intuitive and doesn't require REW or UMIK-1. Also, you can limit EQ to the modal range, which is somewhere between 200Hz and 500Hz, depending on room size (likely 300Hz or lower in most HT rooms).

4. The 3D angle/height is a useful feature with YPAO that optimizes the object tracking used in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks. It also optimizes the Cinema DSP modes, if you are into that.

Reactions: mister_z1

·
Registered
39 Posts
A lot of the advice in the Audyssey threads and articles/guides also applies to multi point YPAO.

A few differences I'm aware of:

1. YPAO is pretty much useless for sub EQ, not just under ~30Hz, but in general. However, the 20x0 and 30x0 have separate levels and distances for dual subs, which is like Sub EQ HT on the Audyssey based AVRs minus the (actual) sub EQ part.

2. Audyssey only uses the first mic position for setting levels, distances, and crossovers. YPAO uses an average of all mic positions, though the first spot is likely given more 'weight' than the rest.

3. The speaker EQ includes both the hidden impulse response filters (RSC, which is Reflected Sound Control) and the visible PEQ filters you can tweak if copied to the manual PEQ preset.

The sub EQ is PEQ only and is likely only useful if you tweak it manually in REW with the UMIK-1 calibrated USB mic.

Audyssey uses the impulse response filters throughout everything and there are no tweak able PEQ filters. However, the Audyssey editor app on mobile devices is probably a much easier way to tweak EQ and other useful settings as it is more intuitive and doesn't require REW or UMIK-1. Also, you can limit EQ to the modal range, which is somewhere between 200Hz and 500Hz, depending on room size (likely 300Hz or lower in most HT rooms).

4. The 3D angle/height is a useful feature with YPAO that optimizes the object tracking used in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks. It also optimizes the Cinema DSP modes, if you are into that.
Thank you very much for your response, between my denon 4300 and my yamaha I see differences in calibration even now there are not as many as at the beginning, if it is true that. pair to match in quality and still continues to beat audyssey to ypao. I'm in trouble because I really don't know what to do if I keep yamaha a little worse in calibration but still new and superior in others. many aspects or stay with the denon that although it is. older works perfectly has audyssey and with the app I have more adjustment options

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've got dual PB2000s and I'm relatively happy with the performance, although would like more tactile bass.

I ordered a miniDSP 2x4HD, but I'm wondering if it will offer significant better EQ vs. utilizing YPAO or using REW with the Umik-1 with manually adjusting EQ.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Do you have the PB2000 Pro's or the previous generation? The Pro series offers the app and 3 PEQ bands, combine that with the 4 PEQ band adjustments in YPAO manual and you can do quite a bit using REW. But, yes the MiniDSP will offer you more. However, with REW and YPAO manual sub tuning you can achieve a very good low frequency response providing that you have location possibilities to solve any severe problems.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do you have the PB2000 Pro's or the previous generation? The Pro series offers the app and 3 PEQ bands, combine that with the 4 PEQ band adjustments in YPAO manual and you can do quite a bit using REW. But, yes the MiniDSP will offer you more. However, with REW and YPAO manual sub tuning you can achieve a very good low frequency response providing that you have location possibilities to solve any severe problems.
I've got the non-Pro model. I just received a miniDSP 2x4HD so I'm gonna give it a shot! Not sure if I should use REW first to EQ the subs, then YPAO or the reverse.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Adding this power amp be any benefit

Would adding the NAD C 275BEE power amp be any benefit to me with what I have?

My current setup:
Funk Audio 6.1P’s Towers (2)
Funk Audio 3.4D’s Surrounds (2)
Funk 18.0C Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-A3070 (AVR)
Pioneer LX500 (UDP)
Sony XBR65Z9D (TV)

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Would adding the NAD C 275BEE power amp be any benefit to me with what I have?

My current setup:
Funk Audio 6.1P’s Towers (2)
Funk Audio 3.4D’s Surrounds (2)
Funk 18.0C Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-A3070 (AVR)
Pioneer LX500 (UDP)
Sony XBR65Z9D (TV)
Had to look up Funk Audio. I would spend the money on a center channel speaker, but that's just my opinion. That would give you a more noticeable performance increase than the power amp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi there
I use an antimode 8033 cinema and the subwoofer leaves me well, I have been testing for several days comparing with my denon 4300 with audyssey xt32 I remove one and put the other so I am but at the moment I have decided to leave yamaha since I have noticed very big differences In sound, small subtleties that in the denon are only increased by increasing the volume in excess and in Yamaha or it is necessary to increase it since it gives more detail. When I have my umik that now a friend has measurements and I will share them with you
thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi there
When he told me to read the manual, I remembered one thing that, in this manual, I think can lead to confusion or bad measurement. In this manual, only four multipoint and single point measurement schemes are used, because if the microphone is placed as shown in the image the sound is not even remotely what it should have I have tried with the 5-position on several occasions and that measurement is from my point of view very bad, I have tried with others that I have seen and have recommended me and the result has been totally different and much better.

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
I've got the non-Pro model. I just received a miniDSP 2x4HD so I'm gonna give it a shot! Not sure if I should use REW first to EQ the subs, then YPAO or the reverse.

YPAO then REW.
For my single sub, I EQ first in the MiniDSP and then run YPAO. That allows YPAO to set an accurate sub level that reflects the MiniDSP sub EQ.

For dual subs with the 20x0 or higher (that set separate levels and distances for 2 subs), I would run YPAO first to get the individual levels and distances right then EQ the combined response in the MiniDSP and finally increase the 2 subs levels equally to taste or combined output of 75dB if using REW SPL meter tool.

Also be sure to disable any sub PEQ in the Yamaha manual speaker setup menu before running sweeps in REW for MiniDSP sub EQ. You can do that by setting PEQ to Through or copying YPAO flat or natural to manual and zeroing the PEQ gains for each sub in the Yamaha manual PEQ menu.

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
Hi there
When he told me to read the manual, I remembered one thing that, in this manual, I think can lead to confusion or bad measurement. In this manual, only four multipoint and single point measurement schemes are used, because if the microphone is placed as shown in the image the sound is not even remotely what it should have I have tried with the 5-position on several occasions and that measurement is from my point of view very bad, I have tried with others that I have seen and have recommended me and the result has been totally different and much better.
Which mic positions worked for you with the Yamaha?

·
Registered
18,019 Posts
Hi there
In my manual 1 point, 4 point and 2 different 5 point are shown.
How do you know the sound is not even remotely what it should be?

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my manual 1 point, 4 point and 2 different 5 point are shown.
How do you know the sound is not even remotely what it should be?
in my case I have tried several, all looking at the manual and getting a very clear but totally dead sound in low frequencies, both in the sub and in general in the front scene, I have been three months or four with the yamaha av up to point d decide to sell it and now is when I am starting to enjoy it, I have tried others that I will now put in a drawing and I have really noticed a big difference

·
Registered
39 Posts
Which mic positions worked for you with the Yamaha?
This drawing shows the two that I have tried. The second is how the first one is calibrated in a blog that I saw from an Australian man. The first, the result is very good. I think that it is important that all the measurements are close together. result in my case has been really good and now is when I am enjoying with this av.
once in a while i switch from yamaha to denon i use it for a few days and i disassemble it again to see the differences

Attachments

·
Registered
18,019 Posts
This drawing shows the two that I have tried. The second is how the first one is calibrated in a blog that I saw from an Australian man. The first, the result is very good. I think that it is important that all the measurements are close together. result in my case has been really good and now is when I am enjoying with this av.
once in a while i switch from yamaha to denon i use it for a few days and i disassemble it again to see the differences
By doing only this it made your low frequencies sound much better?

·
Registered
39 Posts
By doing only this it made your low frequencies sound much better?
I have noticed a lot of difference, do not misunderstand me, I am not here to be smart or to know more than anyone, much less discuss with people who have much more knowledge than me, I only explain my experience and if someone can come in handy That makes me happy because in these months that I have the Yamaha I have not been able to get the performance that I sensed it could give and little by little I am getting it.
Many, many people have told me to sell it, that I was not going to give more than what was given, but I don't know why, but I have high hopes for this av and I think it can be very good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
For my single sub, I EQ first in the MiniDSP and then run YPAO. That allows YPAO to set an accurate sub level that reflects the MiniDSP sub EQ.

For dual subs with the 20x0 or higher (that set separate levels and distances for 2 subs), I would run YPAO first to get the individual levels and distances right then EQ the combined response in the MiniDSP and finally increase the 2 subs levels equally to taste or combined output of 75dB if using REW SPL meter tool.

Also be sure to disable any sub PEQ in the Yamaha manual speaker setup menu before running sweeps in REW for MiniDSP sub EQ. You can do that by setting PEQ to Through or copying YPAO flat or natural to manual and zeroing the PEQ gains for each sub in the Yamaha manual PEQ menu.
Great advice, this is actually what I did yesterday:

1. I had my YPAO calibration set everything.
2. Ran REW measurements with the EQ set to through.
3. Used REW+MiniDSP and adjusted the subs EQ.
4. Restored the YPAO EQ, but copied the Flat settings to Manual and zeroed out the Sub EQ parameters YPAO originally set.

5201 - 5220 of 5380 Posts