AVS Forum banner

5361 - 5380 of 5389 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the detailed replies on the Atmos topic - Sounds much better! Anyone have any comments regarding the addition of an external equalizer to my 3070?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
No reason why you couldn't - just remember that if you run YPAO on your Yammy, it will equalize the whole path, as its mike will be listening to the result of the external equalizer. Unless the external equalizer has much more range (or many more inflection points) than YPAO, there may not be much difference with or without the external equalizer.

PS With my second-hand Denon AVR used just as a power amp for my "quad on the ceiling" speakers, YPAO eq's the whole system, in much the same manner.

I use RCA cables from the four presence outputs to the front and side channels of the multichannel analog input on the second AVR (which is old enough to still have that input!). I reset the second AVR to factory default to act as a straight amplifier without mucking things up - the only tweak was turning up its master gain a bit after my first YPAO pass to get it into the proper range for YPAO to do the job right on my second try.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got some wires crossed an my RXA3070 is in protection mode. I can't get it to come out. The steps I performed were HOLD tone + info for 5 secs and then press power. The receiver sounds like it wants to turn on, but the Display doesn't light up and the red power indicator continues to flash. Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got some wires crossed an my RXA3070 is in protection mode. I can't get it to come out. The steps I performed were HOLD tone + info for 5 secs and then press power. The receiver sounds like it wants to turn on, but the Display doesn't light up and the red power indicator continues to flash. Is there something I'm missing?
Oh yea, classic power transistor failure my friend. The reset only fixes software glitches not hardware. If you're brave and handy, you can do surgery and test the power transistor for that channel (usually the ones fastened to the largest heat sinks). They should be removed from the circuit to test unless you're experienced, although because you likely only have the one channel you frizzled you can probably compare voltage readings across all the pins of several channels and assume it's the one that is not reading the same as the others. Or, your local repair place, and based on the fact you don't realize you fried it perhaps this is the best option. Power transistor is really a pretty small affair, a pro can diagnose and fix it within an hour only having to spend time waiting for the new part. You're probably looking at around $125-$150 at a shop, and the transistor is likely only worth about $7-$20 my best guess. I had a high current class A Akai, transistors were massive - cost me $25 to buy it. The yamahas is going to be a much more common number and much smaller.

Reactions: cbatc

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hello to all fellow Yamaha 3070 enthusiasts... I have used AVS Forum as a resource for many years but this is my first time reaching out, so please let me know if I am posting with the proper etiquette. My 3070 is used in conjunction with a few external power amps for added audio power (and speakers) while video travels through a high speed cable to an Epson 5040UB via HDMI OUT #1. HDMI AV1: Apple TV 4K, AV2: Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu ray Player UBP-X700, AV3: PS4, AV4: Laptop. My speaker configuration appears to be correct as all speakers have sound throughout the entire test tone process and I typically perform automatic YPAO setups each time any adjustments are made. Questions: 1. I have never seen my 3070's digital display state "Dolby Atmos" after trying various pieces of content that were verified to have been encoded with Dolby Atmos and although my system sounds great, I don't believe I am experiencing true Dolby Atmos after hearing it elsewhere. My audio options via the Yamaha AV app are all of the preset Halls from a variety of countries ;-), Sports, Enhanced, 9-Channel, etc. + one rotating option under the same button that has "Auto Surround Decoder", DTS:X and NeoCinema... No Atmos selection, but figured that maybe "Auto Surround Decoder" might default to Dolby Atmos if the content were valid, but display has always read "Surround Decode" when playing Atmos infused content. 2. I have a Yamaha GE-40 Graphic Equalizer (image attached) and wondering if there is any reason whatsoever to connect this to my 3070 - ?. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
I have a 3060, and you want the surround mode set to “straight”. Then, when you send an Atmos signal to your AVR, press the info button to bring up the on-screen details. It should look like the attached image.
Choosing Straight is necessary if you've set your default Surround Decoder to anything other than Auto, which is the only setting that automatically steps out of the way when Atmos or DTS:X is present.

If you use Auto, you'll automatically get Atmos or DTS:X when the source has that encoding, DTS Neural:X when the source uses a non-X DTS encoding, and DSU (the Dolby Surround Upmixer) for any other source encoding. Auto is the way Yamaha sets up its AVRs when they're sold.

Since I prefer the sound of Neural:X to DSU - even on Dolby sources - I (1) set the default decoder to Neural:X, (2) leave it set to Straight so I can see what the source encoding is and (3) tap the Straight button on the remote to toggle back and forth between Straight and my preferred decoder.
Actually, I have tried all the suggestions mentioned above, and although I can see Atmos when I press the INFO button on my 3070, I have yet to actually see ATMOS shown on the front display. Is this just the case with this generation of Yamaha receivers, or just user error?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
First things first. Does the 3070 have - and know that it has - speakers connected to the "Presence" channels? (See page 21 of the manual.) If not, it won't output Atmos, no matter what you do.

To simplify the testing, set the Surround Decoder to Auto, which will always play an Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack unmolested, without need to use the Straight button.

The Display button half-way down the right-hand side of the 3070's remote will show you on screen what's playing.

If it doesn't say Atmos in the lower-left corner of the screen, the 3070 isn't being sent Atmos.

There are many reasons why that might be the case, the most common being that the player or streamer:
1) isn't connected via HDMI (no other connection method can carry Atmos),
2) isn't sending the original bitstream but is instead set to decode it and send it as LPCM (LPCM can't carry Atmos),
3) isn't playing the Atmos soundtrack but an older "compatibility" soundtrack (some disks don't default to the best soundtrack but to the most backward-compatible), or
4) isn't playing a disk or stream that has an Atmos soundtrack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I just replace my RX-A2020 with a new RX-A2070, the DAC upgrade is powerful, so many details in music that I can't hear with the previous model. I try to use the VSBS in movies playback but the logo didn't turning on did I setup it wrong? I try with American Sniper BRD in Atmos setup and straight mode.

·
Registered
641 Posts
First things first. Does the 3070 have - and know that it has - speakers connected to the "Presence" channels? (See page 21 of the manual.) If not, it won't output Atmos, no matter what you do.

To simplify the testing, set the Surround Decoder to Auto, which will always play an Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack unmolested, without need to use the Straight button.

The Display button half-way down the right-hand side of the 3070's remote will show you on screen what's playing.

If it doesn't say Atmos in the lower-left corner of the screen, the 3070 isn't being sent Atmos.

There are many reasons why that might be the case, the most common being that the player or streamer:
2) isn't sending the original bitstream but is instead set to decode it and send it as LPCM (LPCM can't carry Atmos),
3) isn't playing the Atmos soundtrack but an older "compatibility" soundtrack (some disks don't default to the best soundtrack but to the most backward-compatible), or
Thanks Philnick. You've been a big help to many on this issue. Could my problem be that I've tried streaming Atmos over Netflix and not from a source over HDMI?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Thanks Philnick. You've been a big help to many on this issue. Could my problem be that I've tried streaming Atmos over Netflix and not from a source over HDMI?
Unless you are paying Netflix for its top tier of service, it won't send you Atmos. And, like any other source, your streamer has to be connected via HDMI. If you're using an app in a TV, you'll be using ARC ("Audio Return Channel" over HDMI) to send its sound back to the 3070, and not every version of ARC can send Atmos. I'm getting Netflix via a free-standing nVidia Shield Android-based streamer, connected directly to my 3070 by HDMI - and I didn't get Atmos from Netflix until I upgraded my Netflix account.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Actually, I have tried all the suggestions mentioned above, and although I can see Atmos when I press the INFO button on my 3070, I have yet to actually see ATMOS shown on the front display. Is this just the case with this generation of Yamaha receivers, or just user error?

Hold on everyone, he asking about Atmos on the "front screen" not the OSD with info button. I own the 2070, have not paid a whole lot of attention to the front screen as it is usually vague. Add in that I am only starting recently with BR media, most of my library is DVD so I don't watch tons of Atmos encoded films as of yet. But correct me if I'm wrong - I actually don't think the units front display displays Atmos does it? Looking at the instruction manual also shows no LED segments indicating Atmos. What is it exactly then we are looking for here <spacecowboy>? Are you referring to the on screen display using the info button, the units LED display and the word "Atmos" displayed there or perhaps all the speakers you expect to be lit up on the right side of the units LED display? Next time I watch a film that's Atmos, I'm going to think about this now.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hold on everyone, he asking about Atmos on the "front screen" not the OSD with info button. I own the 2070, have not paid a whole lot of attention to the front screen as it is usually vague. Add in that I am only starting recently with BR media, most of my library is DVD so I don't watch tons of Atmos encoded films as of yet. But correct me if I'm wrong - I actually don't think the units front display displays Atmos does it? Looking at the instruction manual also shows no LED segments indicating Atmos. What is it exactly then we are looking for here <spacecowboy>? Are you referring to the on screen display using the info button, the units LED display and the word "Atmos" displayed there or perhaps all the speakers you expect to be lit up on the right side of the units LED display? Next time I watch a film that's Atmos, I'm going to think about this now.
I am referring to the word "ATMOS" displayed on the front LED display. I have pressed the Info button and seen Atmos in the onscreen display.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am referring to the word "ATMOS" displayed on the front LED display. I have pressed the Info button and seen Atmos in the onscreen display.
I'm pretty sure the front display does not actually say"Atmos", just "straight". Silly I know, Yamaha's displays have always been a bit vague but the new ones have more features but show even less of them on the front display. The way of the world, every "upgrade" is often really a downgrade in many ways. Frankly these days I really don't like anything anymore, just seems that manufacturers only want to race against the clock for features but continue to slash quality and customer satisfaction. When I buy now, it's more of a choice between the better of two evils - everything is always a compromise.
I digress...next time I watch an Atmos source I will check again, but I don't ever remember seeing that detail on the front display and I've went through the manual hard and seen no reference either. Have to use the info button.

Reactions: spacecowboy

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Well, I assumed that since the front panel display does say "Neural-X" - spelled out in letters, not a lit up logo - it would be no problem for it to spell out the shorter "Atmos."

But I generally pay no attention to the front panel display on my 3070, since it sits behind me on a shelf under my projector, and only see it when turning the 3070 on or off upon entering or leaving my theater - at which point it couldn't say Atmos since no source would be playing.

Reactions: spacecowboy

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
By the way, the Info button is different from the Display button. The Info button toggles what is shown on the front panel display, which is hinted at on page 122 of the 3070's manual (it doesn't give the full menu structure).

But, to further confuse matters, the Yamaha has a display under the remote's Onscreen button that shows what it's getting on top and what it's putting out below that. So if you see Atmos on top but not on bottom, you've probably:
(a) not connected Presence speakers or
(b) set a surround decoder that doesn't step out of the way of Atmos and DTS:X signals (which is all of them except Auto) and haven't tapped the Straight button to bypass it.

I keep my surround decoder set to Neural:X, which I prefer to the DSU, and I turn it on and off with the Straight button, which is a toggle that flips the state back and forth. I keep it set to Straight, and if I don't see Atmos or DTS:X in the On-Screen Display I tap Straight to get Neural:X. (Not very intuitive labeling, but there's not a lot of space above the button!)

·
Registered
292 Posts
The display will show Atmos or DTS:X if you cycle though the display info with the info button on the remote. It can show either the DSP program like Straight or Audio Decoder which would be Atmos or DTS:X in these cases.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi
I am sure this has been addressed in the past but I am not finding a solution.

I have Apple TV 4k connected to RX-A1070 (firmware 2.70) using the cable in the link below (Cable Matters Certified, 3ft).

I have the AVR set to mode 1. I have the video mode set to processing with both resolution and aspect set to "through."

I have the AVR HDMI out to an HDMI extender (4KEX70-H2) with the same brand HDMI cable.

I have Cat6 cable running to my TV.

I have the same HDMI extender at the other end, then the same brand HDMI cable, connected to Sony 85" 900H.

I cannot get 4K Dolby Vision, 4K HDR at 60hz, or 4K HDR at 50hz. I can get Dolby vision at 30hz.

When I bypass the AVR and go straight from Apple TV 4K to my AV extender, I can get full Dolby Vision.

Would appreciate some help!

Thanks!

5361 - 5380 of 5389 Posts