AVS Forum banner

5381 - 5400 of 5410 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all.
Is it possible to save scenes with different dolby upmixer settings?
Like scene 1 with center spread on for music and scene 2 center spread off for movies?
I tried but it did not work as I wanted.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hello all.
Is it possible to save scenes with different dolby upmixer settings?
Like scene 1 with center spread on for music and scene 2 center spread off for movies?
I tried but it did not work as I wanted.
No, unfortunately. This has been an issue which was raised years ago, but was never 'fixed' by Yamaha.

Also can't save your preferred choice of UpMixer (Dolby Surround or Neural:X), as all are just saved under the 'Surround Decoder' master menu.

Reactions: MellanB

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
No, unfortunately. This has been an issue which was raised years ago, but was never 'fixed' by Yamaha.

Also can't save your preferred choice of UpMixer (Dolby Surround or Neural:X), as all are just saved under the 'Surround Decoder' master menu.
As shown on page 82 of the manual, the choices in the Surround Decoder menu are:
(1) the Auto setting, which uses the Dolby Surround Upmixer ("DSU") for everything other than DTS tracks, and uses the DTS Neural:X upmixer for DTS tracks. (Both the DSU and Neural:X use the height channels.)
(2) Use the DSU for everything.
(3) Use DTS Neural:X for everything.
(4) Use DTS Neo:6 Cinema for everything (this does not use the height channels).
(5) Use DTS Neo:6 Music for everything (this does not use the height channels).

I like Neural:X better than the DSU - even for Dolby tracks - so I keep the Surround Decoder set to Neural:X (the third choice), and - if you've used the Surround Decoder more recently than any other DSP setting - you can toggle it off and on using the Straight button on the remote, which displays what you've just chosen at the bottom center of the screen for a moment after you've tapped that button.

That covers just about every surround permutation except for memorizing center spread choices for stereo sources by scene mode.

Personally, I play stereo sources using "9 channel stereo" ("car stereo" mode) whenever I get annoyed by the effect of matrix decoding on stereo music, though I find Neural:X works well for stereo music much of the time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Has anyone tried running 2 displays through the A3070?

I currently have a projector hooked up to HDMI out 2 (BenQHT5550) on a 20 ft non active HDMI cable.

I'm trying to connect an LG CX at the front of the room to HDMI out 1, using a 60 ft active cable from monoprice.

Whenever I connect the TV, the receiver won't sync and neither will display anything.

Note that ARC is turned on both on the TV and receiver.

I previously had a 40 ft non active HDMI connected to the TV and it didn't prevent the 2nd display (projector) from working, I only could get audio passed through.

Haven't gone troubleshooting much, I don't want to accidentally fry an HDMI port. Hoping I can still get this config to work.

UPDATE: The cable itself seems to work, I plugged my UB420 directly to the TV and it worked fine.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
Has anyone run into an issue where HDMI 4 through 7 aren't working? Nothing has changed in my setup, but no devices work plugged into those inputs.

The receiver is outputting from both output 1 or 2, but there's no input signal and the HDMi "in" indicator doesn't appear.

Plugging in devices that were in 4-7 into inputs 1,2, or 3 work fine, so it's definitely the AVR.

EDIT: Unplugged the AVR for 30 seconds and now it's working. Weird.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Ah...computers...got love them. :)

Reactions: diablo900t

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Is there a simple method to enable a pair of blue-tooth headphones without scrolling through pages of menus and sub-menus?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello AVS society, I have a problem with my Yamaha RX-A2070 that is driving me nuts. I have HTPC with PowerDVD and some 4K UHD dics I'd like to play. I have my htpc connected to my receiver with 8K hdmi cables (tested different cables) and then the signal is sent to my LG OLED CX also with 8k hdmi cable. The problem is that whenever the video bitrate goes well above around 60 mega bits per second the sound gets cut out!!! Checkout my video that is presenting this phenomenon
To make things more interesting, these are my observations:
1) when audio gets cut out and yamaha shows decoder off and I don't pause the video - this can stay in such form (video with audio) for quite some time before the audio is back, I have to wait around 30 or 40 seconds sometimes even longer
2) when audio gets cut out and yamaha shows decoder off and I pause the video immediately and after 2 seconds resume the video then audio gets back immediately
3) there is no difference in behaviour when I choose simpler audio streams, it behave exactly the same even with simple dolby digital 2.0
4) when I play the normal blueray (not 4k) with beefy audio (truehd, dts hdma) and video stream is smaller than in 4k then audio does not get cut outs

WTF?!?! I thought my yamaha receiver is 4k with HDR and dolby atmos cable ...
In my opinion there is some kind of buffering in the receiver and it hits some limitations. To make it even more interesting, I had LG OLED C9 and I connected my htpc to OLED C9 and bitstreamed audio over ARC to the receiver and everything was okay while playing 4K UHD content. I upgraded to LG OLED CX (cry) and there is a known problem of sending bitstream audio over ARC (it does not work anymore like in C9) so I wanted to do it the proper way - put the signal to the receiver and send back the video to TV but it does not work either

Any thoughts, ideas?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
No, it's not likely the receiver. It's likely your htpc or powerdvd.

The reason is the video bitrate is only important to the video decoder on the htpc. The Yamaha only sees the decoded uncompressed frames at up to 18Gbps.

Update powerdvd, then update your graphics drivers, then windows. You didn't say which gpu is in your htpc, but it could be problematic as well - the video decoders are in the gpu and it could be the gpu is causing issues. Could also be the CPU, but less likely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My HTPC is a:
  • motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming with Intel SGX support
  • cpu Intel Core i7 10700K
  • there is no GPU

Windows 10 is up to date, PowerDVD 20 is up to date, drivers for integrated intel GPU are up to date, motherboard bios is up to date, Yamaha has up to date firmware, LG OLED CX is up to date.

1) Nomal blueray movies (not 4K) are working fine, there are no sound cut outs
2) 4K blueray movies are working fine when HTPC sends signal to tv (LG OLED C9) and then via ARC the audio is sent back to recevier, then there are no sound cut outs
3) The problem occurs when HTPC is connected to the recevier and then the yamaha is sending video back to TV via HDMI OUT
4) The problem only occurs when video bitrate goes well above 60 mbps for few seconds, then the sound is cut out

I don't understand why you say video bitrate does not matter? All data is sent via HDMI cable from HTPC to the receiver (video plus audio) and this amount is variable. Then receiver needs to split this data - video is sent further to TV and audio is processed and played. So the receiver has lots of work to do and in terms of bandwidth it really matters because at the same time new data is pushed by the HTPC and at the same time receiver needs to send back some data to TV and decode audio.

One additional remark, my setup is 5.1.4 physically connected speakers to the receiver.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Recently I had my rxa3070 repaired for warranty work. So wires got crossed and it went into protection mode. Since the return, I've static noise that jumps from channel to channel. Its loud enough to be disturbing. If I engage Pure Direct the noise goes away. If I power off the receiver and power it back on the noise goes away. I am using Klipsch speakers with an Emotiva amp to run all 5 speakers. The noise is present when I use ARC from my LG OLED, Roku Ultra, and Panasonic UB820. I'm thinking its not the amp as Pure Direct gets rid of the noise. Anyone else heard of this problem?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
My HTPC is a:
  • motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming with Intel SGX support
  • cpu Intel Core i7 10700K
  • there is no GPU

Windows 10 is up to date, PowerDVD 20 is up to date, drivers for integrated intel GPU are up to date, motherboard bios is up to date, Yamaha has up to date firmware, LG OLED CX is up to date.

1) Nomal blueray movies (not 4K) are working fine, there are no sound cut outs
2) 4K blueray movies are working fine when HTPC sends signal to tv (LG OLED C9) and then via ARC the audio is sent back to recevier, then there are no sound cut outs
3) The problem occurs when HTPC is connected to the recevier and then the yamaha is sending video back to TV via HDMI OUT
4) The problem only occurs when video bitrate goes well above 60 mbps for few seconds, then the sound is cut out

I don't understand why you say video bitrate does not matter? All data is sent via HDMI cable from HTPC to the receiver (video plus audio) and this amount is variable. Then receiver needs to split this data - video is sent further to TV and audio is processed and played. So the receiver has lots of work to do and in terms of bandwidth it really matters because at the same time new data is pushed by the HTPC and at the same time receiver needs to send back some data to TV and decode audio.

One additional remark, my setup is 5.1.4 physically connected speakers to the receiver.
The bitrate doesn't matter as that is the compressed video bitrate. The video decoder takes the compressed video bitstream and decompresses it. The graphics card takes that decompressed video and sends it over HDMI. That's why HDMI has bandwidth in Gbps (<10 for HDMI 1.4b, 18 for HDMI 2.0 and up to 48 Gbps for HDMI 2.1) as the video it carries is uncompressed.

That's why the receiver doesn't matter - it sees the full uncompressed bitrate - the compressed bitrate is seen by the processor and graphics. Now what likely is happening is the bitrate is high enough that the audio stream is getting corrupted by the graphics hardware or the HDMI driver and it's sent corrupted, which is why the receiver cannot decode it. Perhaps some data buffer is getting corrupted and it corrupts the audio buffer (which is why I suggested updating software and drivers). Pausing the movie resets the audio stream (you cannot stop sending data - and you cannot alter the bitstream, so hitting pause causes the audio stream to reset back to PCM, and restarting playback resumes the audio bitstream.

ARC does not have this problem as the PC sees the audio output is degraded and sends a lower bitrate audio stream, likely low enough that the corrupted buffer issue doesn't happen.

Your situation is unusual in that you went UHD - a configuration few people have and is quite rare as there is perhaps one or two drive models in the world that are licensed for it, and only PowerDVD to play back. It is actually easier to rip the disc and play the rip with fewer issues, certainly if there was one there would be plenty of talk about it. I would've suggest you try a different player, but I see you only have a ps4 which cannot play UHD discs to try.

If you want to experiment, you can try ripping the disc and playing it back on something else - ripping is easier because the drive models actually supported by the process include pretty much all the regular bd drives you can buy today. You might even try playing the rip back on powerdvd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, so I will write down the solution to this problem. You are right with the comoressed and uncompressed data, I also figured that out. I started to eliminate one by one the compomemts to narrow the problem. Firstly I connected the HTPC direclty to TV and the problem still occured, but I remebered that in living room everythim was working fine when connected to LG 65C9, so I brought back the C9 from living room upstairs. In recent days I finally managed to finish my dedicated Cinema room with bass traps, etc and I moved everything upstairs and brought a new tv LG 65 CX. And guess what, after bringing the C9 and connecting HTPC direclty to it, problem still existed. Now that rang the Bell for me, I thought that maybe recent Windows and drivers update was the problem. So I did the fresh Windows 10 instalation and no updates, no nothing only powerdvd 20 and the problem was still there :)
I was mind ****ed at that time, but then another idea came to my mind. I started to investigate my UHD BD drive - LiteOn EB1. Like you said, one of the few allowing to play legit UHD bd discs. And guess what :)
When moving everything upstairs I accidentally connected the USB connector to wrong connector (its external Player) 2.0 instead of 3.0 Magic is gone now and everything works like a charm ;)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Wow, that is unusual. USB 2.0 should be able to handle the full bandwidth of UHD discs, but I guess it just has to blip to screw everything up. Or there are massive inefficiencies in the protocol.

At least I learned something - I know you can get proper external UHD drives. I always though the few proper ones were all internal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To be honest I was surprised too. This is why it was one of the last on my list to check but we learn the whole life like my parensts said 😉
This lesson cost me one houndred bucks for a pair of additional 8k hdmi cables 😂
But I am happy because I almost bought a new amplifier 😁

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
With cables, at least you can use them in the future so it's not completely wasted. Who knows why you'd need another cable. Another receiver is a little harder to deal with and they don't keep.

5381 - 5400 of 5410 Posts