AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea if this is the proper place to ask this but it seems as good a place as any.

I just received the Yamaha RX-A800 receiver and I have my Nvidia GTX 570 HD video card connected to it via HDMI. The video card is fully capable of 7.1 surround through HDMI. However, I can only receive 2 channel sound from my card.

Under Windows 7 sound settings, it lists a number of devices, one of which is:

DENON-AVAMP-1

which is the receiver but it is incorrectly seeing my receiver as a Denon when it is Yamaha. My guess is the EDID information is somehow incorrect because it lists "Max Number of Channels -2" which I believe might be the problem. I have spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone today with EVGA support and they were totally unable to help me - they said they apologize but they have no solution and I need to contact Yamaha and see what they say.

What can be done about this? This is a brand new video card and a brand new receiver and they are both fully capable of 7.1 surround yet I can only get 2 channels. My receiver receives and decodes audio fine from all other HDMI sources - DVD, Blu-ray, HDTV. It is only the Nvidia HDMI that is not sending surround. Can anybody offer any ideas? Does anybody have a similar setup?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have found some very helpful information on the Nvidia forums but I still have no solution. What is happening is when the tv and Yamaha receiver are both turned on, the Nvidia card is being sent EDID information by the Samsung tv, which is telling the Nvidia card it is only capable of 2 channel sound. This overrides the EDID information coming from the receiver. If I turn off the tv, the Windows audio settings detect the RX-A800 correctly and list "Max Number of Channels - 8" and all my surround speakers work fine.

If I then turn on the tv again the Windows audio settings detect a "DENON-AVAMP-1" (the tv which must be reporting itself as a Denon) and again I only have 2 channels.

The user on the Nvidia forum found this solution worked for him:

"My Solution:

In my receiver settings I found 'HDMI Audio' set to 'TV+AMP'. When the TV was turned ON, this setting was causing the nVidia driver to detect the TV EDID(through the receiver) and ignore the receivers EDID.

When I changed 'HDMI Audio' to 'AMP', the nVidia driver recognized the AMP EDID(only) and everything work great!"

But I do not seem to have that option in the Yamaha A800 - so is there any way to get my A800 to override the edid of the tv like the Nvidia forum user did? Does the A800 have a similar setting?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
In the HDMI settings for your receiver there's an "Audio Out" section. Make sure "Amp" is set to on, and OUT1 and OUT2 are set off. It might not solve your problem, but that's the equivilent of changing "TV + AMP" to "AMP" in other receiver you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Ross,

You seem to be knowledgeable about these things and I can't get help in the official thread. I apologize for hijacking this thread.

I recently bought the RX-A3000 and so far I love everything about it, but it won't pass HDMI video from ANY of my computers through to the TV! The computers connect fine directly to the TV, but for some reason the 3000 plays audio to the surround speakers, but will not send video to the TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.