AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the receiver and hooked it all up.

HDMI out 1 is connected to a TV in the living room with 7.1 speaker

HMDI out 2 is connected to a TV in the bedroom (using the TV speakers)

both TVs work, but it seems only in party mode. I was hoping to be able to watch one source in the living room and one source in the bedroom. At a minimum I was expecting that when watching in the bedroom that the speakers in the living room wouldn't get the sound.

Is what I want to do possible with the receiver? If I read the manual correctly, only non-digital sources (non HDMI) can be output into Zone 2.

thanks,

--bjorn

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I know of no receivers with multi-zone HDMI (not saying there aren't any, but I don't know of any.)

Even though HDMI has been out for quite a few years now, multi-zone HDMI is non trivial because it requires a receiver with a DSP for each zone probably, and DACs to match.

As you say, analog only. Not sure what your video options are. Some Yamaha receivers have supported video to a zone, which would require some sort of analog video connection.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn /forum/post/19547017

I just got the receiver and hooked it all up.

HDMI out 1 is connected to a TV in the living room with 7.1 speaker

HMDI out 2 is connected to a TV in the bedroom (using the TV speakers)

both TVs work, but it seems only in party mode. I was hoping to be able to watch one source in the living room and one source in the bedroom. At a minimum I was expecting that when watching in the bedroom that the speakers in the living room wouldn't get the sound.

Is what I want to do possible with the receiver? If I read the manual correctly, only non-digital sources (non HDMI) can be output into Zone 2.

thanks,

--bjorn

My understanding is that the HDMI output is the same source going to both displays. You cannot play different sources via HDMI outputs. If you engage both HDMI outputs, audio and video will play in both areas but what you watch would remain the same.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was surprised (and thankful) to read this -- this stopped me from doing a last moment "good deal" buy primarily based on the 2 HDMI output feature!

I would have thought that 2 separate sources could pass through to the 2 HDMI outputs where at least one of them is an unmolested digital source (say the one going to HDMI2 and let that target do any required processing.) This way, full processing goes with HDMI1 and no extra HW is involved.

I suspect that this could be done with a cheap HDMI switcher sporting multiple inputs and 2 outputs. So why can't they do it here?

Also, I did a quick look through the A800 owners manual and found no discussion of this (else I missed it). The only party mode reference is for the audio out connection where there is no mention of HDMI.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts