AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I hope that everyone is doing well. First off, let me tell you the setup that I have. I have a 57" Mits. WD-57732, Yamaha RX-SL100 AV Receiver, Yamaha RX-SL100 DVD Player, Direct TV HD Receiver, and a PS3. Last night, I went to Radio Shack and purchased a Digital Sound Level Meter. I then went home and got started trying to correct my surround sound system. I am having problems where the sound will go up and down for every show and commercial. I spend more time adjusting the volume throughout the night then just enjoying my system. Before I can finish, I need some help from all of you.

1) What do I set the sound at on my receiver prior to starting the test? I set it at 30, and I could not use the meter on 70dB. I could only use it at 60dB. Should I increase the sound on the receiver or if I have all speakers reading 60 dB then I am good? If this is not the correct way to do this, will someone please explain the correct way to me in general terms?

2) I know how to adjust each of my speaker levels and speaker distance but can someone please help me with all the other intangleables? I currently have the system's sound field program set at DTS. Is this correct for watching all shows and movies? My system offers about 15 different sound field programs.

3) What about switching from Ex to ES? I do have a 6.1 system.

4) Where does the Center SP. GEQ need to be? 100Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, or 10kHz.

5) Where does the SP Tone Control need to be for both Bass and Treble? My choices are between -10 to +10 dB.

6) Do all my speakers need to be set at Large, Small, or none. I have the following speakers; left front, center front, right front, right back, center back, left back, and subwoofer.

7) Where does the LFE?Bass Out need to be?

8) Where does the LFE Level need to be? My choices are between -20 to 0 dB.

9) Where does my Dynamic Range need to be? My choices are Max, STD, or Min.

I believe if I get all of these questions answered, then I should be good to go. If you can think of anything else I might need to know, please share it with me.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The problems with the levels of the diffrent programs and commercials might not be with your system but with the broadcasters and producers. Big diffrences in audio levels between shows and commercials have been around for years (since the pro-logic days at least). Commercials seem to be recorded at higher volumes, some say to better grab your attention.

As for setting the size of your speakers. It depends on the speaker's range. I have big Infinity Primus 360's as L/R fronts and smaller Primus 160's as surrounds so my mains are set to large and surrounds set to small.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.