AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I hope that everyone is doing well. First off, let me tell you the setup that I have. I have a 57" Mits. WD-57732, Yamaha RX-SL100 AV Receiver, Yamaha RX-SL100 DVD Player, Direct TV HD Receiver, and a PS3. Last night, I went to Radio Shack and purchased a Digital Sound Level Meter. I then went home and got started trying to correct my surround sound system. I am having problems where the sound will go up and down for every show and commercial. I spend more time adjusting the volume throughout the night then just enjoying my system. Before I can finish, I need some help from all of you.

1) What do I set the sound at on my receiver prior to starting the test? I set it at 30, and I could not use the meter on 70dB. I could only use it at 60dB. Should I increase the sound on the receiver or if I have all speakers reading 60 dB then I am good? If this is not the correct way to do this, will someone please explain the correct way to me in general terms?

2) I know how to adjust each of my speaker levels and speaker distance but can someone please help me with all the other intangleables? I currently have the system's sound field program set at DTS. Is this correct for watching all shows and movies? My system offers about 15 different sound field programs.

3) What about switching from Ex to ES? I do have a 6.1 system.

4) Where does the Center SP. GEQ need to be? 100Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, or 10kHz.

5) Where does the SP Tone Control need to be for both Bass and Treble? My choices are between -10 to +10 dB.

6) Do all my speakers need to be set at Large, Small, or none. I have the following speakers; left front, center front, right front, right back, center back, left back, and subwoofer.

7) Where does the LFE?Bass Out need to be?

8) Where does the LFE Level need to be? My choices are between -20 to 0 dB.

9) Where does my Dynamic Range need to be? My choices are Max, STD, or Min.

I believe if I get all of these questions answered, then I should be good to go. If you can think of anything else I might need to know, please share it with me.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barback02 /forum/post/0

Hi everyone. I hope that everyone is doing well. First off, let me tell you the setup that I have. I have a 57" Mits. WD-57732, Yamaha RX-SL100 AV Receiver, Yamaha RX-SL100 DVD Player, Direct TV HD Receiver, and a PS3. Last night, I went to Radio Shack and purchased a Digital Sound Level Meter. I then went home and got started trying to correct my surround sound system. I am having problems where the sound will go up and down for every show and commercial. I spend more time adjusting the volume throughout the night then just enjoying my system. Before I can finish, I need some help from all of you.

1) What do I set the sound at on my receiver prior to starting the test? I set it at 30, and I could not use the meter on 70dB. I could only use it at 60dB. Should I increase the sound on the receiver or if I have all speakers reading 60 dB then I am good? If this is not the correct way to do this, will someone please explain the correct way to me in general terms?

2) I know how to adjust each of my speaker levels and speaker distance but can someone please help me with all the other intangleables? I currently have the system's sound field program set at DTS. Is this correct for watching all shows and movies? My system offers about 15 different sound field programs.

3) What about switching from Ex to ES? I do have a 6.1 system.

4) Where does the Center SP. GEQ need to be? 100Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, or 10kHz.

5) Where does the SP Tone Control need to be for both Bass and Treble? My choices are between -10 to +10 dB.

6) Do all my speakers need to be set at Large, Small, or none. I have the following speakers; left front, center front, right front, right back, center back, left back, and subwoofer.

7) Where does the LFE?Bass Out need to be?

8) Where does the LFE Level need to be? My choices are between -20 to 0 dB.

9) Where does my Dynamic Range need to be? My choices are Max, STD, or Min.

I believe if I get all of these questions answered, then I should be good to go. If you can think of anything else I might need to know, please share it with me.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

I have a Z9 and have all the same choices, took forever to tweak the system. There is no pat answer to all the questions as everyones environment is different. I sat in my 'favorite' spot and just adjusted everything until I liked it. The one thing I can help you with is the Es/EX choices. On mine I have the button on the remote. press once for auto then again and you get above the EX, then if you use the buttons on the remote for the menu you can choose how you want the reciever to handle EX/ES formats. On mine you have to have a THX disk in to get all the choices.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
1. As long as all your speakers are at the same volume, it should not matter much what output level you calibrated them at; if you are anal, google "thx reference level."

2. Your receiver probably has an auto mode. Set it to that, and you should not have to worry about it again.

3. Most EX DVDs have a flag indicating that fact. You unit probably will do the right thing when set to auto most of the time

4. No idea; did you check your manual for hints?

5. Most of the time; flat(0). You can adjust to taste, but I have never found the need

6. A common suggestion is set all to small. Set your LFE/Bass crossover to 80hz. If your mains are small bookshelf speakers, try 100-120hz

7. If its the level, use your SPL meter and test tones. If its something else, leave it at the factory setting

8. See 7 (I am not sure which control sets your actual bass/lfe level, that's the one to adjust using your SPL meter.)

9. If you have trouble hearing dialog at night, max is probably a bad choice unless you live alone in a house. If there is no one around to bother and you love dynamics try max. I find max annoying because I have to turn up the volume to hear dialog, but then the explosions and stuff are way too loud. If you are adjusting your volume control all the time, set it to normal or min

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.