AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a yamaha rx-v300 about a year ago for 899 and have never been happy with it. It sounds great for music but not for movies. I find myself having to turn the sound up and down constantly on dvds because of the difference in sound level. Also I replaced a RXV 695 which was using 6 channel input from the dolby digital decoder on my dvd player and the new unit is using a fiber optic cable for sound. I cant figure out how the older less powerful unit could have sounded better on every single dvd I have. Maybe It was less complicated to setup and I dont have something right? I have tried almost everything in the options with levels and eq and d range from max std and min. Im using no dsp modes. The rest of my systems is as follows. Room size is moderately large and the front rear and centers are set to large. The main problem seems to be that i have to crank the vol to hear ppl talk then the next seen it jumps so much in volumne i have to turn it down

Boston CRC center

Boston VR 940 front

Boston VR 940 rear

Hsu Sub stf-2

Has anyone had any problems with this specific unit or do I just need to read the manual even more then I have.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It was a flagship unit.

Have you tried using it in pure stereo mode for movies?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you calibrated your speakers with a SPL meter? Most dialog is from the center channel so I would make sure that is working and turn up the volume for the center after calibrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean by pure stereo mode? For movies I dont use any soundfields, only dolby digital or enhanced prologic...... I noticed a huge difference in spl levels in the movie bourne idenity, so much so its annoying. i tired during the mains down -10 db and then reg, turning the center up more, boosting the eq on the center, sigh i thought i would like this one more than my old one......................does using a 6 channel analog input compared to a fiber optic make a big difference?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.