AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 2147 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
AirPlay help

Just got my new 677 and am having a lot of trouble getting the Apple AirPlay to work. Not happy since this is one of the main reasons for this receiver.
I am using the receiver wireless, it has been upgraded the the lastest firmware, my IOS on my iPhone has the latest update (8.1.2), but my wife's and my iPhone will some times "see" the receiver on the iPhones and some times not. I have search Apple sites and not finding much.

My question. Can i still use AirPlay if the receiver is connected to my network by ethernet cable instead of with WIFI? Would that help?
Does any one else have this issue and a fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use air play quite a bit with my 477. I do have it wired and it seems to work fine that way. I would try it wired and see if it improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's always a good idea to go wired if the situation/environment allows for it. Meaning if the wires can be hidden and you don't need to move around. So if you're AVR is staying put and your router is staying put, and you get hide the ethernet wire so someone wouldn't even know it's there, then I would go wired...more stable connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had thought that I read somewhere here in this forum that if the receiver was on a wired connection the wireless was not on (and this is true I found), but was unsure if that would allow AirPlay to still work.
I wanted to ask before running the ethernet cable line around the house first.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
RC-x377 help!!

Hi, I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I have posted this is the wrong place, but couldn't see wherE to post a new thread.
I have just bought this amp to replace an older model that didn't have HDMI inputs. However, when I connected it to my blu-ray using an HDMI cable, I found that the only way I can now watch blu-rays is with the amp on, because as soon as I turn kff the amp, it turns off the bku-ray player too! What cam I do?!?:mad:

·
Registered
18,018 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I have posted this is the wrong place, but couldn't see wherE to post a new thread.
I have just bought this amp to replace an older model that didn't have HDMI inputs. However, when I connected it to my blu-ray using an HDMI cable, I found that the only way I can now watch blu-rays is with the amp on, because as soon as I turn kff the amp, it turns off the bku-ray player too! What cam I do?!?:mad:
Turn off HDMI Control/CEC and ARC in all devices.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 377 does not have pass through when its powered off. You need to return it and get the 477 model or higher. I had the 377 and was going crazy with the same problem so I called Yamaha and they confirmed it. I now have the 477 and no problems not even with ARC and anynet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Press info button until you see "Decoder" (if not mistaken) then few seconds later it will show the codec type provided straight/standard is used. Not sure you can set this display as permanent when you turn off the unit but for me I like to see display showing the type of input (BD/SAT/DVD etc) I'm selecting. Of course it would be nicer if the codec info is also shown in the same display as the input.
The xbox one doesn't output this info right? I just see 7.1 channel PCM

Can I adjust any settings on the xbone to see this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
The xbox one doesn't output this info right? I just see 7.1 channel PCM

Can I adjust any settings on the xbone to see this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Not sure about xbox but does xbox have any output audio/hdmi settings? If available, do set them all to bitstream/raw, otherwise PCM is still ok however I bet most here prefer to see DTS/DTS-HD MSTR/TrueHD etc

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just picked up the 477 to replace a lightly used Denon receiver (hand me down from Dad) where Audyssey could not recognize the sub. I had happily used an HK435 for years but it doesn't have any HDMI inputs which have become essential. The Denon manual was akin to reading Greek - very poorly written and very complicated to set up. In contrast, the 477 manual is very well written and simple to understand. More importantly, the sound coming from the 477 is terrific.

Two quick questions: I ran YPAO and it set my speakers to Large. I went in manually and re-set them to Small. Should I run YPAO again and, if so, will it change them again to Large? Also curious as to what DSP modes, if any, people are using for movies and music? I've been going back and forth between Straight and Standard. With Standard, I noticed that the sound becomes multichannel even if it is an old, non-Dolby Digital television broadcast. With Straight, it stays just with the two fronts and the sub.

I've never bought a Yamaha before but, so far, I am very impressed by this unit, especially for the price point.

·
Registered
18,018 Posts
Just picked up the 477 to replace a lightly used Denon receiver (hand me down from Dad) where Audyssey could not recognize the sub. I had happily used an HK435 for years but it doesn't have any HDMI inputs which have become essential. The Denon manual was akin to reading Greek - very poorly written and very complicated to set up. In contrast, the 477 manual is very well written and simple to understand. More importantly, the sound coming from the 477 is terrific.

Two quick questions: I ran YPAO and it set my speakers to Large. I went in manually and re-set them to Small. Should I run YPAO again and, if so, will it change them again to Large? Also curious as to what DSP modes, if any, people are using for movies and music? I've been going back and forth between Straight and Standard. With Standard, I noticed that the sound becomes multichannel even if it is an old, non-Dolby Digital television broadcast. With Straight, it stays just with the two fronts and the sub.

I've never bought a Yamaha before but, so far, I am very impressed by this unit, especially for the price point.
No need to run YPAO again. It will change them back to Large.
The DSPs are performing properly. Use whatever sounds best to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just got a RX-V377 about a week ago. My question is if I run the YPAO and then later change one of the settings (for example, change the movie mode from Sports to Adventure) does that wipe out the settings that YPAO created?

Haven't bought a new receiver in 25 yrs, so it's like starting over!

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
18,018 Posts
Hi,

I just got a RX-V377 about a week ago. My question is if I run the YPAO and then later change one of the settings (for example, change the movie mode from Sports to Adventure) does that wipe out the settings that YPAO created?

Haven't bought a new receiver in 25 yrs, so it's like starting over!

Thanks for any info you can provide.
DSP modes do not change any YPAO settings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just tested 444 chroma on my rx-v677 today, Dec. 22, 2014. 4K/60Hz 444 chroma is indeed broken. I talked to their support rep today and they are no longer promising 4K/ 60Hz 444 chroma.
Anyone have any new information on this? Yamaha's spec sheet for the V677 STILL promises:

"4K Ultra HD pass-through Yes (60p / YCbCr 4:4:4) *Available via firmware upgrade in Fall"

This was a key reason for my decision to purchase this model, as I plan to upgrade to 4K when high quality 4K OLED sets 65" or larger become available. (hopefully within a couple of years)

Does Yamaha provide details of their firmware upgrades anywhere?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does it allow to you add a internet radio bookmark for a station from the GUI or do you still have to do that via vTuner website?
I have a new Yamaha v677 and tonight, after receiving the 1.45 firmware update, I'm trying out the "Net Radio" feature that uses the vTuner Internet radio station database service. I am able to add an internet radio bookmark (star) for a station, or a podcast, from the on-screen GUI. It's just a bit clunky, since there's no "search" function, only a browse function: via Location, Genre, New, Popular, etc. Navigating through the lists with the remote is slow. So it's a pain to find the exact station or podcast you're looking for. And via that UI I can only add to a default bookmark folder called "My__Favorites."

I am also able to remove the bookmark (star) using the on-screen GUI.

I do find it a lot easier to search for stations or podcasts via http://yradio.vtuner.com on my laptop. Using that interface, I can save favorites to different folders (I created one for stations, and one for podcasts) and those appear immediately on the Yamaha's on-screen Net Radio menu. It's pretty cool how it works, once you get the hang of it, and I like being able to access these streams/podcasts directly on the receiver (as opposed to having to use my laptop or phone as the required front-end.)

The biggest bummer I've found so far with this feature, is that some of my favorite podcasts and stations don't play on the Yamaha. I am able to play the following. Spoilerized for length:

A bunch of TWiT podcasts
A bunch of NPR podcasts
A bunch of KCRW podcasts
StartUp podcast

Chill Out Zone - streaming radio
Radio Paradise
1.fm Chillout Zone
Soma FM Groove Salad
KCRW 89.9 Santa Monica
KCRW 89.9 HD3 News 24
93.1 Jack FM L.A.
94.7 So Cal's WAVE
971. Amp Radio
K-EARTH 101
California Highway Patrol (CHP)

And here are some examples of podcasts and stations that won't play:

WBEZ This American Life - when I select the episode to play, I get "Access error"
Serial - same "Access error"
The Moth - just gets stuck on buffering
WTF with Marc Maron - also gets stuck on buffering
Slate's Culture Gabfest - same, gets stuck on buffering
The Sound 100.3 FM - "Access Error"
KCRW 89.9 HD2 Eclectic 24 - "Access Error"

These are some of the most popular podcasts, and they are all in the vTuner database. AFAIK they are standard RSS feeds serving MP3 files, so I'm not really sure why these won't play, while the others I listed above, play just fine. It's especially odd that KCRW 89.9 HD3 News 24 plays without issue, while KCRW 89.9 HD2 Eclectic 24 fails.

The other bummer I've found with the Net Radio feature is that I can't pause (or FF or rewind) playback; I can only stop it. This isn't that big of deal for live radio streaming (although some sort of "instant replay" would be nice) but but for podcast listening it's kind of a deal-breaker, simply because by now I've gotten used to much better UI, with audio scrubbing controls and bookmark syncing, via dedicated apps on my smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Not to mention the ability to add (and play) any RSS audio feed I discover. The reliance on vTuner's database is a a bit crippling here, as it seems a bit outdated.

Lastly, I see no way to easily reorder my saved favorites. The only option is to add/remove a bookmark, and that inflexibility will get annoying/clunky after a while.

And so the Yamaha's Net Radio feature is a big step backwards in functionality, at least when it comes to podcast consumption. I have a feeing I will end up using this Net Radio feature only for a few streaming radio stations, if I end up using it at all. Is anyone else here using it Net Radio/vTuner on their Yamaha receiver? Any tips/tricks to pass along?

·
Registered
30 Posts
RX-V477 No Subwoofer Sound Output

Good morning guys. I just purchased over the weekend a Yamaha RX-V477 and I got it all installed (3.1) and set up (YPAO) yesterday and I thought everything was OK. I was playing with it today and I have very little to no bass output. I have the sub out set to USE and I went in and the fronts and center (Def Tech Pro Monitor 800 and Def Tech Pro Center 1000) are all set to small and the sub crossover is set to 80hz. and I increased the db on the sub. I even increased the out on the sub itself (Def Tech Pro Sub 1000). I have run the test tones a couple of times and I am getting no sound from the sub. I called Yamaha and the guy there couldn't help me but he put in a help ticket and told me I should hear something by Friday.

Does anybody have anything I can try short of taking it back to Best Buy?

Thanks

781 - 800 of 2147 Posts