AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is about Presence speaker placement...

where do you put them...

I am thinking of putting them about 3 feet above my l,r,c...

and then having them inbetween the left and center.... and right and center...

any thoughts on this..

I have a rxv 863 amp...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I wouldnt mount them permanently until you listen to it. Many do not like the sound with the presence speakers, and do not use them. There is a reason Yamaha is the only mfgr to have used them, and they have used them for over 15 years!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
And many including myself think the presence speakers create great and unique sound fields. Check out pro reviews of Yamaha equipment over the years -- these folks hear lots of sound fields.

The rules for presence speakers are the same as for the rest of multichannel:

Use as close to the same speakers as you can all around. You can try out the presence effect using any small speakers -- but for best results they should match the rest of your speakers.

Treble extension and dispersion are critical for the best results.

Movies differ in how good a sound field was recorded in the first place.

Setup should be as Yamaha recommends -- above and to the outside of your mains. I've tried all kinds of presence set ups in various rooms with various speakers -- in a very narrow room you can get away with placing them directly above your mains, at a loss of immersiveness and width.

Spend a little time setting up your system, and you will be rewarded with more enjoyable movie experiences.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/14282745

Spend a little time setting up your system, and you will be rewarded with more enjoyable movie experiences.

[I've been using pairs of Presence speakers with my Yamaha soundfield processors and receivers for almost 20 years, and] I agree.

The Presence speakers are only used to enhance [front soundstage] delivery of soundfield processing; however, without Presence speakers, the front mains will still produce the soundfield effects -- just not as well...

Not every soundtrack or piece of music sounds better with soundfield processing. And it's fair to say that I am rarely ambivalent about whether a movie or CD sounds better with/without soundfield processing.

Not everyone likes the Yamaha soundfields. My suggestion would be that you try using soundfield processing without Presence speakers to see if you like the effects. If you find the effects positive, you'll probably find them better if you add the Presence speakers...

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/14282745

And many including myself think the presence speakers create great and unique sound fields. Check out pro reviews of Yamaha equipment over the years -- these folks hear lots of sound fields.

The rules for presence speakers are the same as for the rest of multichannel:

Use as close to the same speakers as you can all around. You can try out the presence effect using any small speakers -- but for best results they should match the rest of your speakers.

Treble extension and dispersion are critical for the best results.

Movies differ in how good a sound field was recorded in the first place.

Setup should be as Yamaha recommends -- above and to the outside of your mains. I've tried all kinds of presence set ups in various rooms with various speakers -- in a very narrow room you can get away with placing them directly above your mains, at a loss of immersiveness and width.

How far above the outside of the mains do you put them ? 2 feet or 3.. or less?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
One foot above your mains, or about 6 feet off the floor -- I've run them as high as 7' off the floor but 6' is better.

An issue in some setups is that since the presence speakers are usually front wall mounted behind the plane of the mains, you may have to raise them so that all seating positions can 'see' both speakers (TV sets can block in some cases)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agree with SoundChex's commentary, presence speakers can work very well.

I tried using presence speakers run by a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver when I recently added PSB T45 tower speakers to a 5.1 home theater where I was previously using wall mounted Def Tech PM1000's as the fronts. The PM1000s are mounted 7" to the outside of, and 45" above, each tower.

I had listened to, and did not particularly like, Yamaha's "Bottom Line" and "Roxy Theater" DSP sound fields with the 5.1 setup. That was until I re-listened to them with the presence speakers as an experiment. What a difference! It now sounds like you are attending a live event (minus the clapping and sneazing). The sound stage is large and deep. I am sure many purists will scoff, but the presence speakers/DSP sound fields can provide a very enjoyable way to hear the music when properly implemented.

I listen to mostly jazz, more and more classical (still learning), and some 70s-80s rock from my now spent youth. I doubt I would have spent the $$ upfront to implement presence speakers from the start, but having "upgraded" into it--I no longer want to employ the PM1000s in another room.

XEagleDriver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts