AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to finally purchase the components for my Home Theater system. Having some trouble deciding on the receiver. Any help will be appreciated. I have also included the other components I am planning. WIll be finalizing next weekend, so have a week or so figure it out!

Visited local a/v retailer and can get a Yamaha rx-v1 for $1200 with a dvd player thrown. DVD player is awful , will give to kids. However, have also been reading about the denon 5800 - wonder if that is a better receiver. Main concern right now is the 110 per channel from the yamaha. Want to make sure this is enough for my speakers and room. Do i need an amplifier if I get this receiver.? WOuld I need one with the denon? Is there a better receiver? Room is 4500 cubic feet and opens into another area. After listening to multiple speakers (Monitors, Klipsch) really liked the Boston acoustics vrm 90 series. Pricey! But liked them best. Anything else comparable?

HDTV is the sonu 40in WEGA. Love the pics on this set. Also fits the room nicely.

No pick on the dvd player yet - any opinions welcome. Should mention that i am getting an amplifier to power all the in wall speakers in the other rooms and do need to have a receiver do multi zone. Major use will be watching dvd;s.

Thanks for any help!

Therese

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,

I owned these 2 units. In fact, I owned the European version DSP-AX1 (9 months), AVC-A1SE (18 months).

In my opinion, AVR-5800 provides better sound in both multi-channel and stereo sound (.

RX-V1 works better with DSP. I think it is optimised to work is DSP enable all the time. AVR-5800’s DSP are not very good, but sound quality is definitively better. Better basses, accurate trebles, neutral and deeper sound.

AVR-5800 drived JMlab Electra speakers successfully. It didn’t need help.

Now, I own a AVC-A1SR (European version of AVR-5803)

Laurent

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thansk Laurent. Having a tough time with this. Keep switching between components. Based upon some others I was considering going seperates with the Outlaw 950/770 combo. But after reading all the posts on the Outlaw board and the fact that it is not shipping again at this point - it wont work. Then thought perhaps a 3802 (low price point)(would replace in a few months when the outlaw stuff settled down) with a 5AMP and after reviewing all the specs on the 3802 - won't work for the setup we want to do. SO , back to reviewing the receivers - full circle! Now am looking at the denon 5803, possibly the yamaha rx-z1 (ruled out the pioneer - heard that today - did not like). Those were the two best that we heard in an integrated receiver. Thougth if the denon can power my speakers, perhaps can live with that for awhile, then add a 5 channel amp and eventually replace the denon with seperates. ANyways - thats the we are leaning now. Have a few more days to make a decision. Course the better half already has the cabinet guy doing drawings!!!

Thansk

Therese

·
Registered
212 Posts
Power shouldn't be a concern - the Yamaha's 110 watts should drive any of the speakers you are considering beyond your tolerance for pain. With the added power, the Denon may be able to play half a decibel to a decibel louder. Yippee.

I have read several reviews where the Denon's 2 channel sound quality was praised as being slightly better than the Yamaha, though I have not personally done extensive listening tests. However, I do own the similar Yamaha DSP-A1. With judicious use, the right source material, and a spare pair of front effects speakers, the Yamaha's DSP modes can make your room melt away. Even the echoe-y church modes - when adjusted a bit - can works wonders on dry string and vocal recordings. Denon does not offer anything comparable.

Another thing I'd consider is ease of use. If you can get a Philips Pronto LCD remote thrown in with the Yamaha, that would be a huge plus, IMO. However, if you can't, I find the Yamaha's native remote and overall ergonomics awful. The Denon isn't great, but it is a bit more straightforward. YMMV.

-avi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.