AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a really great price on a Yamaha RX=V1 receiver. From what I can see it does not have DPL2 but I don't see anything else missing. The preamp and the amp sections look great. Tons of inputs. Can I get an external device to get DPL2? maybe it is not worth it but the price is incredibly low. any thoughts/ideas appreciated

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you like Yamaha then look at the RX-Z1 for $1999 .

I would not get a pre/proc or receiver without DPL2

Regards,

Jose

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have seen that one. Looks great but the V1 is 1/4 the price. I do really want to have DPL2 though.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottwood2
Yes I have seen that one. Looks great but the V1 is 1/4 the price. I do really want to have DPL2 though.

If you watch VCR movies, TV movies and like your 2-channel music matrixed into 5.1 channel, then DPL-2 should be something that you really should consider, it doesn't matter if the V1 is cheap, ultimately you want to be happy with any purchase you make and if the V1 doesn't have the features you really want you're not going to be happy.

For me, I would jump on it because I don't really care about DPL-2, I don't watch TV that much when I do its primarily sporting events, I wouldn't dare take 2-channel music and corupt it with a matrixed format like DPL-2, I don't watch VCR movies, 98% of my DVD collection have a 5.1 soundtrack, most the ones that didn't I got rid of them.

BTW, what kind of movie collection do you have ?

Also, I still don't understand why people are so in love with DPL-2, how much two channel music are people corrupting with a matrixed format? Who still watch a lot movies that are not in the discrete 5.1 format?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We stopped having a collection of movies. We have a number of movies on beta. Then we started using SVHS. Did not want to watch the beta movies after this. DVD came along and no one wanted to watch tapes. Decided at that point that I would rather just rent than have a collection.

My main source will be rental DVD's (10%) or PVR recorder from satilite (90%). I have a yamaha DPL receiver now and have enjoyed it over the years. The DISH PVR has Dolby Digital and but I can't use that now. Actually I do not know what percent of programs are DD? Maybe not haveing DPL2 is not that big of a deal.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottwood2
We stopped having a collection of movies. We have a number of movies on beta. Then we started using SVHS. Did not want to watch the beta movies after this. DVD came along and no one wanted to watch tapes. Decided at that point that I would rather just rent than have a collection.

My main source will be rental DVD's (10%) or PVR recorder from satilite (90%). I have a yamaha DPL receiver now and have enjoyed it over the years. The DISH PVR has Dolby Digital and but I can't use that now. Actually I do not know what percent of programs are DD? Maybe not haveing DPL2 is not that big of a deal.
If 90% of your movie watching is from the Dish(plus movies recorded from it) and you are content to watch them in regular pro-logic, then DPL-2 shouldn't be a big deal for you. From what I heard,the percentage movies shown with 5.1 sound from the Dish is still kind of low.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Scott-

What's a "really great price"?? That will help determine if it's a great deal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pricing is about 1/6 of the list price. Can't say the price due to the rules of this forum. I could not pass this deal up. I used dealtime search engine for Yamaha RX-V1 and it showed 5 or 6 dealers selling this Cheap Cheap Cheap! The full description was shown at the top of the page. When I went to order it by clicking on the dealer I found that the prices were for the RX-V1300. Looks like my great deal was just a great big mistake at dealtime. Actual price is 2 to 3 time the posted price.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I own the RX-V1 and I love it. It is outstanding. I have it matched with the M&K professional series speakers and I can not believe how great my home theater sounds. I would not worry about DPL2, most things will broadcast in DD 5.1 in near future. I did like you and picked up one of these recievers at a great price due to RX-Z1 coming out. Be carefull that search you did may be showing you the price of RXV-1300. I know I followed your instructions and that is what it showed me was the RX-V1300 not RX-V1. However, you should be able to pick one up for around a $1000 at many locations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.