AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,


I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver which has never ever given me any trouble before. I have a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player with a coaxial cable that runs to the receiver for audio.


Tonight I watched "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" on Blu-Ray (the new Disney movie with Nicolas cage). At about 2-3 minutes into the movie, the receiver suddenly shut-off. I turned the receiver back on and rewound the movie and the receiver shut-off again during the same exact part of the movie. I was a little curious but continued watching.


During the course of the movie, the receiver shut-off about 10 more times. I went into the Blu-Ray players settings and changed the audio from "wide range" to "standard", but it didn't help. I'm not sure what's going on here but I'm hoping it's just a problem with this specific movie.


Perhaps the receiver was receiving audio information that it couldn't handle?


I've watched other Blu-Rays before with no problem at all. In a way, I'm hoping that it's a problem with the BD movie, but that poses another problem: if this movie is causing problems, then other movies will probably cause problems too.


Anyone experience this kind of problem? Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it?


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Well, if a movie causes your receiver to shut down in the exact same spot, seems non random. What I would do, would be to disconnect all but one channel and try again. If it still shuts down, try a different speaker.


If it's not shutting down with just one speaker, could be wiring to speakers or a defective speaker.


I assume it was not particularly loud?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19591573


Well, if a movie causes your receiver to shut down in the exact same spot, seems non random. What I would do, would be to disconnect all but one channel and try again. If it still shuts down, try a different speaker.


If it's not shutting down with just one speaker, could be wiring to speakers or a defective speaker.


I assume it was not particularly loud?

It wasn't any louder than I usually watch movies. My receiver was set at about -50db during the movie. I'm far from an audio expert, but could a bad speaker cause the receiver to completely power down?


I'm watching TV right now through my receiver and am having no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Yes, a bad speaker could cause a receiver to shut down.


I can tell you what I know about shutdowns. The receiver is shutting down to protect itself, unless it's defective in some way (confused.)


One possible shutdown cause is thermal. This seems unlikely at the volume you are playing at.


Another one would be detection of a short. Bad wiring or a bad speaker could cause this.


The final fault conditions possible would be some sort of over voltage or over current detection. This would indicate an electrical problem with your receiver at the volumes you were listening at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19591615


Yes, a bad speaker could cause a receiver to shut down.


I can tell you what I know about shutdowns. The receiver is shutting down to protect itself, unless it's defective in some way (confused.)


One possible shutdown cause is thermal. This seems unlikely at the volume you are playing at.


Another one would be detection of a short. Bad wiring or a bad speaker could cause this.


The final fault conditions possible would be some sort of over voltage or over current detection. This would indicate an electrical problem with your receiver at the volumes you were listening at.

Thanks Michael.


I watched "The Expendables" last night and the receiver shut down immediately at the beginning of the movie when the DTS logo came on. It seems to shut down at high volume points in movies. The one thing that the two movies (expendables and Sorcerers Apprentice) had in common was that they were both in DTS HD.


So I put in my Avatar Blu-Ray which is also in DTS HD and is a movie that I've successfully watched before with no problems, even at volumes as high as -40db. I watched a loud volume scene (where Jake tries to take his first flight with the giant bird-beast) and the receiver shut down.


Nothing has changed in my speaker setup but I will try to unplug the speakers one my one and see if it continues to be a problem. I actually suspect it's a thermal problem or a problem in the electronic circuitry. I may pull it out and try to vacuum/clean up the interior. Perhaps a fresh coating of thermal paste on some of the IC's will help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
I would not open it up. I would get an exchange on it. It should not be doing that if all your wiring is ok and your speakers are ok.


You might want to carefully test each speaker to see if there's a culprit.


Operning it up could void the warranty, so it seems like a potentially bad idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19597478


I would not open it up. I would get an exchange on it. It should not be doing that if all your wiring is ok and your speakers are ok.


You might want to carefully test each speaker to see if there's a culprit.


Operning it up could void the warranty, so it seems like a potentially bad idea.

Thanks for the tip, but I bought this receiver in ~1998, so I'm sure the warranty is loooooooong over by now
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top