AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of pulling my Yamaha RX-V1000 out of the closet and getting my surround sound set up again. I've had my Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver for about 10-11 years since 2000/2001. I am wondering, performance wise how would it stack up to some of the newer $400-$600 receivers?

I know it lacks HDMI connections, so I would have to string HDMI video direct to the tv, and digital audio into the receiver.

Is it worth buying a new one, or working with what I've got?

If my price range is too low? What are some of the current models that would compare favorably sound quality wise to the RX-V1000? 5.1 or 7.1 is fine by me, obviously 7.1 would be great for future expandability.

I have speaker wires for a 5.1 system, but for components I would need to buy any hdmi cables or digital audio cables used. (expected components Blu-Ray, DVR, Cable) I know some receivers have "HDMI Switching" which allows you to hdmi all components through the receiver, and into the TV.. Is that an economic solution or are those only the high-end $1000+ receivers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBow
I'm thinking of pulling my Yamaha RX-V1000 out of the closet and getting my surround sound set up again. I've had my Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver for about 10-11 years since 2000/2001. I am wondering, performance wise how would it stack up to some of the newer $400-$600 receivers?

I know it lacks HDMI connections, so I would have to string HDMI video direct to the tv, and digital audio into the receiver. Is it worth buying a new one, or working with what I've got?

If my price range is too low? What are some of the current models that would compare favorably sound quality wise to the RX-V1000? 5.1 or 7.1 is fine by me, obviously 7.1 would be great for future expandability.

I have speaker wires for a 5.1 system, but for components I would need to buy any hdmi cables or digital audio cables used. (expected components Blu-Ray, DVR, Cable) I know some receivers have "HDMI Switching" which allows you to hdmi all components through the receiver, and into the TV.. Is that an economic solution or are those only the high-end $1000+ receivers?

Thanks in advance.
I've used yamaha 1400, 1600 and a1000. Also onkyo 1007 and now denon 4311. The newer receivers in that price range may not sound way better but the convenience and connectivity make it worthwhile to upgrade. The hot buy has been the yamaha 867 from newegg for 1/2 list price. Just buy a bunch of hdmi cables from monoprice and put most of the component and toslink cables away. Having a network connection in any new receiver is important. It adds control from phones/computers, free internet streaming of decent quality audio and easy firmware upgrades. And a bunch of hdmi 1.4 inputs justifies the investment. I bought the 867 as a backup if the denon ever breaks. The 867 remote also has 5 more input buttons than any high end receiver!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Having a receiver with the newer features is always nice
I like Yamaha products a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PhilBow,

I have the same receiver. I also was debating on wether to keep it or trade up. I tried to get an audio signal through an over the air antenna and was not able to receive DTV audio through it. Shouldn't this receiver play over the air TV signals? FM comes through fine. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 /forum/post/20777080

The hot buy has been the yamaha 867 from newegg

I read the product description of this item receiver and noticed the ability to play HDMI through the receiver even when it is turned off which looks great for when you don't want to mess with turning everything on.

Another feature I want to make sure my receiver has is ability to connect Source -> Receiver -> TV via HDMI and have the audio play through the receiver speakers. Will most new receivers have that capability now with the improvements to HDMI?

What are the key words to look for in receiver descriptions that would signal each of these capabilities?

I am planning to wait until Black Friday to make my purchases as I am expecting some good sales then. Is that a good idea or are the typically better deals to be had than from the big-name stores on black-friday.

I am a high-end audio buying rookie. One system which was a gift to me, so not much experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah33 /forum/post/20777366

PhilBow,

I have the same receiver. I also was debating on wether to keep it or trade up. I tried to get an audio signal through an over the air antenna and was not able to receive DTV audio through it. Shouldn't this receiver play over the air TV signals? FM comes through fine. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

No receiver I have ever seen, has a TV tuner. They made some radios with a tuner that could receive TV audio quite some time ago. Why you would want TV audio only, through your receiver, I don't know. And now that it's digital, there's no solution short of buying an HDTV tuner (government used to offer rebates on them of some sort, but not anymore that I know of.) Maybe you can find a used one on ebay.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah33 /forum/post/20777366

PhilBow,

utah33,

I've probably got this wrong...

MichaelJ has is right regarding solution path with the receiver as stand-alone.

Of course, all that does kind of beg the question, why not use a digital TV to accept/tune the OTA signal and simply route digital optical or coax from TV to reciever? It'll still leave your receiver's FM antenna available.

If I badly misunderstood your question/situation, my apologies in advance.

Mkard

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
594 Posts
I'm still nursing my RX-V361. I saw the RX-V371 in store. It has DD Tru-HD and DTS MA, 4 HDMI 1.4 input, an HDMI out put with ARC, and it comes with the easy set up mic for about the same price I paid for the 361.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard /forum/post/20780919

utah33,

I've probably got this wrong...

MichaelJ has is right regarding solution path with the receiver as stand-alone.

Of course, all that does kind of beg the question, why not use a digital TV to accept/tune the OTA signal and simply route digital optical or coax from TV to reciever? It'll still leave your receiver's FM antenna available.

If I badly misunderstood your question/situation, my apologies in advance.

Mkard

Thanks MichaelJ and Mkard.

This helped me remember how I had it hooked up before. I had a VCR as the tuner and routed it throught the receiver. I used the monitor out to the TV for video.

See, I've had this system dismantled for about year, do to home renovations.

It is a good point thought Mkard about using the TV as the tuner and routing the sound through the receiver. I will investigate it and let you know if it works.

Good night

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Hi,

Sorry I'm a bit late with this but I also have the AV-r 1000 hooked up to our main HT system along with a Dennon receiver for the sixth back channel. Love the sound, it is quite rich but am replacing an older Yamaha in the den that has broken down with a new budget Pioneer receiver that has Pro Logic II, etc. That would be the only reason why I would consider moving the older Yamaha into the den and replacing it with the new Pioneer.

I just don't know if it's worth it for the Pro Logic upgrade. Don't have bluray so don't need the 7.1 audio features.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.