AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a strange result when upscaling NTSC DVD through Yamaha RX-V1067 AV receiver. The setup is:

HDMI 1 In - DVD Player Pioneer DV-668

HDMI 2 In - Blu Ray Player Sony BDP-S500

HDMI 1 Out - JVC DLA-HD750 1080p projector

HDMI 2 Out - Sony 46" LCD 1080p TV

Yamaha setup: Video Processing On, Resolution Auto

When HDMI 1+2 Out selected:

480p (NTSC) in - 1080p out to both devices (TV and projector)

576P (PAL) in - 1080p out to both devices (TV and projector)

When HDMI 2 Out selected:

480p (NTSC) in - 1080p out to TV

576p (PAL) in - 1080p out to TV

BUT,

when HDMI 1 Out selected:
480p (NTSC) in - 1080i out to projector

576p (PAL) in - 1080p out to projector.

The same result, 1080i when upscaling NTSC DVD to projector, happens with both players, Sony BD and Pioneer SD.

Can somebody explain what's going on?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I can't help with this but I do have a question for you. Why do you want to use any video processor in ANY AVR? Set the AVr to passthrough and get rid of all of your problems. ALL video processors in AVR's are handcuffed in some way or another. In most cases all they do is add artifacts to your display. The less processing you have the better off you will be. Try it and see if you do notice the difference. The processor in your display is as good or better than most video processors in AVR's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you. You're absolutely right. I also find the unprocessed video better than the processed. My Pioneer produces outstanding picture, so no processing can improve it. I just want to find out what's going on. Auto resolution in Yamaha setup means that Yamaha should upscale the input signal (NTSC or PAL) up to the highest resolution of the projector and it is 1080p. So, either JVC wrongly informs Yamaha that 1080i is its highest resolution or Yamaha, despite obtaining 1080p from JVC, sends 1080i signal to JVC. Again, I agree with you. I am just curious.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Its possible that the JVC is receiving the wrong signal from the Yamaha. Sounds more like a handshake issue with a HDMI cable. Have you tried switching the HDMI cables to see if that does anything? Try that and see if it does any better. It could be just a bad HDMI cable, that would be the first thing I would try. If its not that you may need to contact Yamaha support by e-mail and send them your findings. It may be some type of bug that a firmware update may cure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the first thing I tried. I've put another HDMI cable, the result was the same. Cables are 10 and 12 m long. The strange thing is that it happens only with NTSC signal, not with PAL. Also, it happens only when one HDMI OUT is selected. When both, ie. HDMI OUT 1+2, are selected, Yamaha sends correctly 1080p signal to the projector. Even, if the TV set is switched off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts