AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at both receivers which seem very similar and CDN$250 apart in pricing.

The 2300 has:

110w/ch

zone 2 a/v pre-outs

video-upconversion (s-vid to composite/compososite to s-vid)

60MHz component switching

front a/v input

6 a/v inputs

5 optical/2 coax inputs

6.1 pre-outs

1 more DSP than 1300

learning/macros on remote

rs232 port

The 1300 has

100w/ch

zone 2 audio pre-outs

video conversion (s-vid to composite) - can someone with 1300 confirm if it converts composite to s-video please?

60Mhz component switching

front a/v input

6 a/v inputs

5 optical/2 coax inputs

6.1 pre-outs

learning on remote (no macros)

What is the point of down-conversion of s-video to composite on 1300? Does the 1300 have up-conversion to s-video?

The video up-conversion is a really nice feature to have. It's more user friendly for the other users of the receiver since they wouldn't have to change TV inputs.

Will there be any difference in the quality of the amp section? I don't think 10w/ch difference is a big deal for a small room.

Remote? Probably both suck and I will use something else anyway.

will the rs232 port ever really be used? I can't find the software Yamaha mentions on their website. Just the software for their high-end remote.

Zone 2? This may or may not be used in the future. Don't know yet. COuld be useful down the road.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you don't need Zone 2. Go for a 1300. I don't think RS232 is useful on model 2300. Also I suggest you check with Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX or 43TX.

BTW, I just bought a 2300.

·
Registered
27 Posts
rs232 already has custom software available from Yamaha ( I've only seen pro instalers use it). It allows for a lot of the set-up values and characteristics to be up-loaded to the receiver directly and for the record the better remote has the ability to acsess Yamahas VERY extensive set of "discrete" IR CODES .....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 1300 but I can't confirm whether or not it will upconvert a composite input to s-vid since I don't have any regular composite video sources. Honestly I don't think it's a well-needed feature. My gut tells me that whatever the 2300 can do, the 1300 can do also since they're nearly identical. Unless you need the advanced multi-room capabilites I'd probably go for the 1300. I know the 2300 has a better remote but I doubt either is as good as one of the better aftermarket ones (e.g. Pronto, MX500, etc). I actually think the 1300's remote is halfway decent but then again I'm a single male working in a technical profession so I have no trouble figuring this stuff out. :)

Andrew

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to get the 1300 although part of me keeps saying get the 2300 for more flexibility in future.

I'd really like the up-conversion feature to make life easier for the rest of the family. Not having to change inputs on the TV when changing sources.

Of course I could create a macro or buy a couple of the Ultralink rca-to-s-vid cables. If it does have up-conversion would it be a menu item to activate or is done automatically?

Regarding the remote, I'd likely use a Cinema 7 no matter which of the receivers I bought. I've been using a Cinema 6 for the past couple of years and it's amazing how powerful the $20 remote is (it should easily take advantage of the advanced codes in the 1300 and 2300). There's a lot of info regarding it at www.hifi-remote.com

OTher than the cinema 7 I'd like to try the mx500 or sony 3000.

I played around with the Yamaha version of the Pronto and don't really care for it. Very cool but I found navigating the menus annoying after a little while.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Can someone confirm that the RXV1300 has a 6 ohm rating?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think it will upconvert a composite signal to a svideo signal...at least I could not get it to work. The composite video from my vcr works fine out of the composite output to the TV but not via the svideo output.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The 2300 has built-in speaker outputs for zone 2, rather than just pre-outs.

It also has zone 2 video output via composite and s-video.

The rs232c port is nice for the software upgrades. You just know there will be some new must-have sound field in the next couple of years and with this you won't have to go buy a new receiver.

I like the remotes quite a bit. Very easy to set up for new equipment. I usually have customers program things when they are looking at either receiver. Macros is a definite plus on the 2300 remote.

I've been debating the 2300 vs 3300, but I've pretty well settled in on the 3300.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rx-v1300 will not upconvert video signals. That is the answer I got from Yamaha t.s. when I called them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.