AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an RX-V1400 two months ago and have been using it exclusively to drive my Onix Rocket ELT speakers.

I am now considering using the video features of the receiver and just wanted to know what success others have had with this. More specifically, will I lose any video quality?

My Samsung SIR-TS160 DirecTV receiver and JVC XV-602SL DVD player are currently directly connected by component to my Samsung HDTV (no DVI interface), and all works fine now.

I found THIS-click thread describing the size of the OSD, and that's really the only thread I've found addressing PQ. The PQ is important to me, so any other reports?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I own the RX-V1300 and I decided against running my video through it. I did try it and felt like I could see noticable degradation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I switch my digital cable box and my JVC DVD player via a 1400 and cannot notice a decrease in PQ. Don't know about HD sources tho. From what I have read, the 1400/2400 are very solid with HD signals.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers so far. I'm just looking for more info before I go out and spend another $40 or so for a decent component cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just received and installed a new rx-v1400. I wanted to try running the component output from my Comcast STB (720p) through the receiver to my Samsung HLN-617's component input (also 720p). The Samsung gives a message that it cannot support the signal from the receiver. Is there a conversion within the receiver that I am not aware of? If so, can anyone help me correct the situation?

·
Registered
463 Posts
donimitchell,

The Yamaha RX-V1400 is not converting your component video signal from your Comcast STB. If your box is outputting a signal that is NOT 480p, 720p, or 1080i then your Samsung monitor will not accept the signal.

Therefore, I would recommend using DVI for your HD cable signal.

Again, your Yamaha receiver is NOT converting the signal in any fashion. It only has the ability to convert a composite or S-Video to component video. The signal still stays as a 480i signal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Segaboy,

Thanks for your response. When I connect the component output from the cable box (720p) directly to the component input to the Samsung it works fine. When I connect the output from the cable box to the DTV component input on the Yamaha and the component monitor output to the Samsung, the Samsung gives a message that the signal is unsupported. The DVI output on my cable box is not functioning as of yet. Soon I hope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.