AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the deal.

I still consider myself to be very much a neophyte when it comes to this audiophile stuff. I'm looking to upgrade my current $300 2yr old Kenwood receiver. I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-V1600 and the Denon AVR-4306.

Other than the Denon's ipod integration feature and XM Radio connectivity the Yamaha seems to me to "out spec" the Denon. The rub is that the Denon is more than twice the price of the Yamaha. Obviously, I must be missing something very big that accounts for the difference in dollars. Here is a basic comparison chart:

Compare

The room is 17X22 with 8' ceilings. My usage consists of 70% hdtv, 15% dvd, 15% music. The only components that I conect to a receiver are a dtv hd/dvr and a dvd/sacd/cd player. My speakers are a pretty efficient Mirage setup (L&R OMD-5, C OMD-C1, R 2 Prestige Nanosats.

Anybody care to offer their sound advice regarding the two receivers?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I would compare the AVR-4306 with the RX-V2700.

Yamaha receivers are cheaper mostly because they manufacture their own DSP's IC's (correct me if I'm wrong)

But the 4306 is a great unit and it is said to have a very good deinterlacer.

So the 2700 and the 4306 would be my choice to compare.

Happy HT shopping!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVholic /forum/post/0

I would compare the AVR-4306 with the RX-V2700.

Yamaha receivers are cheaper mostly because they manufacture their own DSP's IC's (correct me if I'm wrong)

But the 4306 is a great unit and it is said to have a very good deinterlacer.

So the 2700 and the 4306 would be my choice to compare.

Happy HT shopping!

Yes, the 2700 looks like a very nice piece.

The reason that I used the RX-V1600 was because it was roughly half the price and I can't see why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just read a review at CNET about the Denon. They gave it a 9 out of 10.

However: in their good and bad notes they said,

"The bad: Expensive; intimidating complexity may put off home-theater newbies; no built-in decoding for next-gen HD-DVD and Blu-ray audio formats; no HD Radio."

I don't know what they are saying here but I have asked in the forum.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctauber /forum/post/0

Anybody care to offer their sound advice regarding the two receivers?

both are good receivers, however, not exactly the best comparison. As SAVholic mentions the Denon AVR-4306 is probably better compared to the Yamaha RX-V2700 or RX-V2600 for features, capability and power.

However, if you're not very concerned with 1080p video passing (I noticed you mention using an "hd-dvd" player?) the RX-V1600 is a very good, top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver, especially for the price. It is definitely a major upgrade from your Kenwood. Excellent DSP for movie surround, as well as good clean power for music (both stereo and multi-channel SACD/DVD-A).

If you're intending to use an HD-DVD player then I would consider an RX-V2700 or one of the newer Denon players (ie. AVR-4306, AVR-3806, AVR-2807). or maybe even one of the Pioneer Elite receivers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/0

However, if you're not very concerned with 1080p video passing (I noticed you mention using an "hd-dvd" player?) the RX-V1600 is a very good, top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver, especially for the price. It is definitely a major upgrade from your Kenwood. Excellent DSP for movie surround, as well as good clean power for music (both stereo and multi-channel SACD/DVD-A).

Thanks for the input.

Sorry, I meant a DTV HD-DVR, the H20. I'm more than happy with my video performance and really have no plans on adding a HD-DVD...at least until a single format is decided on and the prices come way down.

I also find it interesting that the 1600 is THX certified and the more expensive units (the 2600/2700 & the 4306) are not.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts

Quote:

Sorry, I meant a DTV HD-DVR, the H20. I'm more than happy with my video performance and really have no plans on adding a HD-DVD....

then I would go for an RX-V2600, this is one of the best in it's class, and you should be able to find good pricing. Second choice would be the RX-V1600.

Quote:

I also find it interesting that the 1600 is THX certified and the more expensive units (the 2600/2700 & the 4306) are not.

Actually the RX-V2600 is THX-Select2 as well. Both (RX-V2600/RX-V1600) are excellent top-line recievers. I use an RX-V1600, it is such a nice unit.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv2600.pdf
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv1600.pdf

Denon is typically priced higher than their respective counter-parts. I just purchased a brand-new Denon DVD-3930CI universal player, it's definitely one hell of a unit, however, the $1500.00 price-tag is kind of scary!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.