AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were some members here reporting they were getting 9.1 channel surround via their RX-V2400 and external amp a few months ago. I took the action item to inquire about this with Yamaha engineering since I myself was unable to reproduce this. I have posted their direct responses in our updated Yamaha FAQ located on our homepage and FAQ sections.

Basically if you are using an external amp to attempt to power the Presence or Surround Back Channels, you are simply mirroring the internal selected channels of the RX-V2400 to another set of speakers. I thought everyone here would like to know.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Gene, and thanks for getting it direct from Yamaha,

One of the key portions of their explanation seems to be that Yamaha has 7 not 9 channels regardless of the addition of amplification.

Peter m.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well, the first clue might have been that there is no such thing as 9.1 or anything resembling it to be supported.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love the presence speakers. I used them on the old DSP-A1. I now use it on the 3300, mind you its a 6.1 with presence. I am awaiting my Z-9 and will use all the channels. This will be 7.1 plus two front presence. A lot of people call this 9.1. Technically its not but it is 9 speakers and a sub. The 3300 is doing 6.1 plus two presence. Call that 8.1? Anyway, I have owned the Marantz Sr-14, Proceed AVP2 and Denon 3030 plus these Yamaha. I love this feature.

I think, but dont know, that the 2400 is designed to give you 7.1 or 5.1 with presence, but not both.

Dave

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the confusion. There is no discrete 9.1 surround format commercially available. I was referring to standard 7.1 + 2 Presence channels. Again the RX-V2400 does NOT support simultaneous 7.1 with Presence channels. You either have surround back or presence, but Not both.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was curious, but what is output from the zone 2 preouts when an EX/ES stream is playing through the backs? I was thinking that since the presence channels share an amplifier connection with zone 2 that it might happen to be output through their preouts. If not then this might be firmware upgradeable, using the zone 2 outputs as preouts for the presence channels allowing them to be simultaniously used with the backs. I know that everyone has been trying to figure out a way to do exactly this, but I was curious if anyone had tried zone 2 yet? Maybe Gene could mention it to the engineers at Yamaha, if it doesn't already work. Of course if there are only 8 channels of D/A conversion available, then it is a moot point.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.