AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the market this year researching $1,000 a/v receivers such as the Denon 3803 and Pioneer 45tx (both with great sound). I liked the 3803 with its video up conversion and the 45tx with its MCACC. If only there was a $1000 receiver out there that could combine these two features and have great sound to boot. Much to my happiness the Yamaha RX-V2400 has come along. I would welcome your thoughts and comments.

:)

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
The brands you have mentioned have some very flexible features but don't you care about its sound quality both for movies and music. My suggestion is that you spend a little time and go to listen before deciding to purchase because of 1 feature.

Regarding the video upconversion feature, this is excellant, greatly simplifying the install by having a single cable between the AVR and video display. Unfortunately, its does have some serious drawbacks, these include:

1. Often with displays with digital processors on their input, one will see strange artifacts like a green bar

2. Often but not always, the AVR may upconvert an S-video to component out. But the signal looks visibly worst through the component conversion circuit then if you ran the straight S-video to the display

Before you put down your $ you might want to do a wider search as well as sampling the specific AVR you are most interested in. Many places have a 30 day return policy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only thing I can't get past and the ONLY reason I didn't buy the Yamaha immediatly was due to the sound seeming bright. I'm not an audiophile by any means but noticed it. As I always say, maybe it was the way they had it run or the things I tested but it sounded bright when compared to the Denon (and now the Elites). My first receiver that I didn't buy with a complete stereo system was a Yamaha and I've loved it for the past 5 years but from what my ears detected the Elite and the Denon seemed to have a richer sound to them. The Yamahas didn't sound bad by any means and sometimes I wish I would have never heard the term, "bright" because it made me listen closer and notice it. Did someone plant this thought in my brain so I would tell myself it sounded bright? Anything is possible. :D I'm pretty set on sticking with an Elite. I'll give up an extra optical in or two if I need. ;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Yamaha is articulate, not bright and needs proper speaker matching to sound at its best.
I would certainly take the opinion of this Fanboy with a large grain of skepticism.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD
I would certainly take the opinion of this Fanboy with a large grain of skepticism.
LOL, you aren't the only one. Articulate? A receiver is articulate? Hmmm... I wasn't trying to bash the Yamaha 2400 but simply giving my opinion on the sound. I had to put sound first and features second and that meant bumping the Yamaha down my list. I really should bring one home and test it but I can't be bringing 3 or 4 receivers home to test out since I have to have someone help me set it in the right place. (I'm in a wheelchair)

·
Registered
760 Posts
I compared the 1400 to the Denon 2803 at a retailer. With movies, they sounded pretty similar (same speakers 8ohm). In music, the Yamaha was a brighter sound, the Denon sounded a little dull ('warm'). The Yamaha had more power and video upconversion, but the 2803 was enough for me and was cheaper. Can't compare to the 3803 for ya though...

Don't bother with the 2400 the 1400 is a better deal (power/price)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.