AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a TiVo Series3 DVR and decided to route its component video connection to my HDTV via my Yamaha RX-V2400 HT receiver. Alas, I can't make it work.

Here are the component cable connections I have made:

TiVo component out to Yamaha DTV Component in, which is labeled

Yamaha component Monitor Out to HDTV

With this connection, the Yamaha's on-screen displays show up on the TV screen but the TiVo picture does not. For what it's worth, the CMPNT-V INPUT screen in the Yamaha's setup menus says CBL/SAT on the top line opposite the and (HDTV) below that. I should add that the audio, which is connected via an optical cable, works just fine. What have I done wrong? I simply can't figure it out.

I have liked how my Yamaha has performed over the years but it has to have the most brutally user-unfriendly interface in the history of consumer electronics. Thus, as matters stand, I have to use one of the two component in connections on my HDTV for the TiVo and the other for the Yamaha's on-screen displays - not good. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. (Hope springs eternal.) All I want is to hear from anybody who has successfully connected their TiVo Series3 or other HD DVR to their HDTV by using the component connections on their Yamaha RX-V2400 or later model Yamaha HT receiver. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Is it possible your routings are wrong? I seem to recall it was easy to route the wrong connection to the input selector.

The CBL/SAT thing confused me. Is that the same input as DTV on your RX? Obviously your component out works perfectly. So it's possible or whatever is not routed to the correct input.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not sure if this helps or not, but I have the Tivo 3 and a RX-V2700 and have no problems, however it is connected via HDMI and not component

possibly try another component input source on your Yamaha?

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. In order to make sure that I didn't have the input assignment wrong on the component in port, I tried every source on the Yamaha and didn't get a picture from the S3 with any of them. I may experiment more with it later but for the moment, I am out of ideas.

My Yamaha RX-V2400 is nearly three years old, so it has no HDMI ports - worse luck. I have connected my S3 to my HDTV with component cable because the TV's DVI port has proved to be incompatible with modern HDMI devices. Fortunately, component video is indistinguishable from HDMI video. I am required to use a separate optical cable for audio, though.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got the video to work on my Yamaha RX-V2400 but I now have another problem: I can't superimpose the 2400's on screen display over the DVR's picture. I can get the receiver's OSD to show up or the DVR's picture but not both. Thus, when I change the volume on the receiver while watching TV the graphic bars and Db information from the receiver don't show up on the screen. Can anybody suggest why this might be happening?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.