AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Yamaha RX-V3000 A/V Amp.

I noticed there is a RS-232 port on the back.

Other than noting it's existence, the manual gives no information about it.

I guess I could hook up a notbook computer and try some common baud rates and protocols to see what it can do (if anything) but I thought I'd probe here first to see what I can learn. I've already done a thorough web search to no avail.

Any info available?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mookie318
Are you going to use front effects output?
I don't think so. Not yet anyway. I don't have a rear center either.

I might use 'em someday if I come across some suitable speakers and have some spare cash.

This is a big step up from my old amp which was all analog with Dolby Pro-Logic only.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The RS-232 port is used for custom installations. The following link probably tells a qualified technician how to use the port, but its way over my head. If you want to experiment with it and report back, I'd be very interested in what you find out. At your own risk...

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/c...2C_Reviced.pdf

Enjoy!

BTW, I don't use the front effect speakers or rear center either.

I recently added an external amp for the mains and rerouted the front center through the freed up Yamaha mains, allowing me to biamp the center. The improvement to music with the external amp was significant. The improved center dialogue clarity was an unexpected bonus.

Does anyone know if the "ctrl out +5V" jack right below the RS232 post can be used to turn an external amp on and off?

Cheers

Wayne

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link.

As I feared it uses some cryptic binary command codes instead of plain text.

It's apparently capable of descretely controlling any function on the receiver.

There is one interesting command that allows you to put an arbitrary text string on the OSD.

Maybe I'll write a small program that lets my PC notify me of new email or other events via the OSD.

I wonder if there's already some software out there ???

·
Registered
171 Posts
No sooner did I add the front effects speakers to my setup using the RX-V3000 than my house took a near lightning hit/power surge. The 3000 is in for evaluation/repair, so I haven't had a real chance to evaluate how I like the front effects channels.

No, I have no clue how the RS232 port might be useful to me. Let us know if you come up with anything. :)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
You should check out my CQC system. Some folks are working out support for the RX-V100 now, and the 3000 is probably just some variant on that. Three is a discussion just getting start on the forums (use the Forums link at the top of the main page.)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yamaha's Nat'l sales and training people had a program to set-up paramaters, levels, preferances,etc in a laptop that they use to make files etc for installers and customers so they can load/save/redesign presets for all their rcvrs w/rs232......also they demonstrated the wealth of discrete ir code possibilities.....

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Actually, I just looked at the protocol docs, and the protocol is the same for the 3000 variant as well. I got a little test program going the other day to make sure I was understanding the protocol, and it worked fine, so I should be able to get started on it soon.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The rs232 port is typically used to connect a controller such as a Crestron or an AMX processor. This allows one to provide not only control of the device, but to get feedback of the state of the amp. For example, if you have a 2-way touchpad, you could display a slider that shows the current volume level as reported by the device. Another 'useful' thing to do is to take a 'snapshot' of the device status. For example, you are watching a movie and the volume is at some level. You touch your 'intermission' icon on the touchpanel and the movie pauses, the lights dim up and then you 'capture' the current volume settings and then play some music at a set volume level. When you are ready to continue the movie, the lights go off, the movie starts and you restore the volume to the previous level. RS232 control also allows you to query the equipment to 'know' what state it is in before you send it some (perhaps unneeded) cmds. It is all about having more control over the unit. One can also use it to d/l new firmware (in most cases).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.