AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read just a few comments on this receiver since it's inception. Very few. So, I am looking forward to see if anyone has purchased this unit and, "are you satisfied with it"?

How does it sound for home theatre and how is it muscially?

What is it you don't like about the unit other?

Has anyone coupled this with Diva speakers?

Thank you!

·
Registered
761 Posts
A few consumer reviews here...

http://www.audioreview.com/AV+Receiv...5_2718crx.aspx

I purchased the 3200 about 2 months ago. So far it's a great performer and I'm sure I haven't tapped into its full potential. We've been remodeling and I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. Currently running 5.1 HD HT and the rear center speaker may be added later, I'm just not making it a priority. As for PLII, I'm still neutral being a gray hair who grew up with 2 channel stereo and set in my ways, but still open to improved sound in any shape or form. I will say the modes for TV movies provide spatial surround like a quasi 5.1 theater. There are just so many modes or DSP's that I would like to hear input from others as to what choices they are using so I can have a basis for comparison.

My HT room is 20x20 with PSB Stratus Silveri's(4 ohm)for mains, and there is plenty of clean power to blow out the windows if desired. I am also using it for component switching for HD and DVD. It's solid and has done everything asked of it so far.

Edit: I forgot to add these two negatives....

The Yamaha website says the 3200 will accept spade connections and that is false. I had to install bananas on the receiver side of my speaker bi-wires. The remote could use more backlighting. Only a limited portion of it is illuminated.

Terry

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nicola,

I am very happy with my unit, which I purchased a few weeks ago. It's incredibly smooth, flexible, powerful, and dead quiet. It'll decode or hook up to just about anything. Everything just oozes quality. I find it awesome listening to movies and music. DPL-II works wonderfully, even with the factory settings. The unit also has oodles of DSP modes, but they sound a bit "phasey" and less solid than stereo out of the box. In its defense, I'm certain that fine-tuning the DSP parameters would probably make a huge difference, but I haven't gotten around to fiddling with these yet.

Many more options than I've been able to explore, thus far. The main difficulties that I have are ergonomic in nature, especially the remote control. My Marantz RC-2000 is *much* better. Banana plugs are the best choice because the plugs are so tightly packed in the rear. Because the receiver is so capable, familiarizing yourself with the manual is a must, but I don't find the manual particularly well-written.

Other than this, its sheer size and weight makes hooking up everything a bit of a pain. It just barely fits into my entertainment center. I may need to hook up a miniature fan to reduce heat build-up.

At present, I admit that my present setup does not come close to matching the unit's quality/capabilities. (I'm waiting for delivery of my Divas.) My understanding is that RX-V2200 owners have been happily driving Diva systems with no problems. I definitely wouldn't buy the RX-V3200 over the RX-V2200 just to get a few more DSP modes; however, the amplifier is higher quality and a bit more powerful. I anticipate no problems driving a set of Divas with this baby; MLS advised that AV123 has many other Yamaha owners (with lesser units) who are pleased with the setup.

BTW, smc r8dr also posted an extensive review of his 3200, compared with a couple units he had previously owned. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=RXV3200

I have no regrets and would buy the unit again. Hope this helps,

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.