AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice.

I got the Yamaha RX V371 amp with Mission MV8 Cinema Pack speakers. I've used the Yamaha mic to set up all my speakers and everything. My BluRay movies play amazing sound with DTS Master Audio.

My problem is with music. I have no idea what I can do to make my music play better. I would stream my music with my Samsung Series 6 LED TV (using DLNA), that is connected with the HDMI Return to my amp. My amp receive this signal as 2.0 audio, so by default it doesn't play through my subwoofer. if I choose Enhanced 5ch on my amp, then it sounds better, but then it sometimes distort the music a little bit. I've tried Audio discs and Audio DVDs on my BluRay player too, and it all gives me the same result.

I've plugged in my PC to my amp this afternoon to play around and the music quality was MUCH better as my Sound Card has the ability to convert every sound to a DTS signal. The amp will then pick this up as a 5.1 DTS signal, and everything plays perfect then.

Can any of you give me some advice with my problem? How do you guys listen to music (that is not on a BluRay disc)?

I would like to mostly listen to my music through DLNA on my TV, but I'll need to do something with my amp for some better quality for music.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
It's not really recommended to listen to 2-channel music in simulated 5.1. Also, I would recommend DLNA streaming from a device other than your television (due to the 2.0 limitation) such as an Apple TV. Is your blu-ray player DLNA enabled? I'm wondering what YPAO settings you are using with the receiver as that could adversely affect music quality. Could you share your settings? This would be useful for a "diagnosis."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delay...
Quote:
Is your blu-ray player DLNA enabled?

Yes it is, but the output is exactly the same as my TV.. It just outputs 2.0 for MP3 files.
Quote:
Also, I would recommend DLNA streaming from a device other than your television (due to the 2.0 limitation) such as an Apple TV.

Can you please go into more detail on the 2.0 limitation? How can an Apple TV device make it better? Just to avoid confusion. My TV can output 5.1ch PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS - this is how I watch most of my movies. I am not sure if this is part of the limitation you mentioned previously.
Quote:
I'm wondering what YPAO settings you are using with the receiver as that could adversely affect music quality. Could you share your settings?

Sure, no problem.. Please feel free to recommend better settings for my amp and subwoofer.

Yamaha RX V371 AMP

> Speaker Setup

>> Config

>>> Subwoofer - Yes

>>> Front - Large

>>> Center - Large

>>> Surround- Large

>>> Crossover - 160 Hz

>>> SWFR Phase - NRM

>>> Extra Bass - OFF

>> Level

>>> FL - +-80%

>>> FR - +-80%

>>> C - +-80%

>>> SL - +-100%

>>> SL - +-100%

>>> SWFR - +-50%

>> Equalizer - Off

> Sound Setup

>> Lipsync - HDMI Auto - ON

>> Adaptive DRC - OFF

>> D Range - Std

>> Max Volume - 16.5dB

>> Init Volume - OFF

Mission MV8 Sub

Volume - +-70%

Crossover Hz - 75Hz (max is 85Hz)

Phase - 180

Auto Power - OFF

Let me know if you need some more detail of something I didn't include

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Your TV cannot output 5.1 PCM. That is beyond the capability of any TV's digital audio output. ARC has no more functionality than optical, sometimes less.

If you want your sub active with stereo sources, set your speakers to Small and then bass management will steer low frequencies from the full range speakers to the sub. That has nothing to do with the capabilities of your TV.

If you want all speakers active with stereo sources, apply a DSP that expands 2.0 to 5.1. I recommend PLII Music mode, which has width and depth controls allowing you to control the sound stage. This also has nothing to do with your TV. If your sound card outputs DTS 5.1 when the source is stereo, it is simply applying a DSP itself to expand 2.0 to 5.1 and then wrapping it in a DTS container.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander  /t/1468101/yamaha-rx-v371-stereo-music#post_23202128

If you want your sub active with stereo sources, set your speakers to Small and then bass management will steer low frequencies from the full range speakers to the sub. That has nothing to do with the capabilities of your TV.

Genius!! Changing the speakers to small activated the subwoofer (2.1)

Ok so should I only change the speakers to "small" when listening to music? Or What type of an effect would it have on movies?

Is there anything else in the current config I should have a look at?

Edit: I've changed my Amp's Crossover Hz to 80Hz, to match my Subwoofer's Crossover.. Can you please review my amp and subwoofer settings? Such as the crossover, phase and volume...

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Leave your speakers set to Small all the time. Based on the auto calibration results, it looks like your full range speakers don't handle bass very well. The Small setting redirects frequencies below the crossover to the sub and you will want to that for all sources, not just music.

Speaking of the crossover, 160Hz seems awfully high. The sub can only handle up to 120Hz. If your receiver redirects everything below 160Hz to the sub, that means material between 120 and 160Hz won't be played by the speaker or the sub. I would re-run YPAO. Set all speakers to Small even if auto-calibration sets them to Large. And lower the crossover if YPAO wants to set it higher than 120Hz.

As for the sub, I don't understand why it has a Low Pass Filter that can be set no higher than 85Hz. Maybe it only applies when using speaker connections instead of the SW pre-out from the receiver. At any rate, turn it up to 85Hz just in case it does something. You don't want the sub to filter out anything the receiver sends it. And re: your edit, you don't want to match the crossovers on the speakers and the sub. The sub needs to play whatever the receiver sends it.

Did you try using PLII on the receiver to expand stereo music so that it plays from all your speakers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you reckon I should change it to 120Hz? I'll run the YPAO later to see what it recommends. I'm also not sure what that Low Pass Filter is for. Here is a brief specifications and here is the full manual if you want to have a look at it

I've tried PLII on the receiver, but ended up using Neo Music, sounds muuuuuch better :)

Can you also maybe explain what the Phase switch does? Like what does "normal", "reverse", "0degree" and "180degree" mean and which combination should I be using? Would you also recommend me turning on "Auto Power" on the sub? On the manual it says it is recommended, but at the time I set up the speakers, I was just a bit worried that it doesn't turn on quickly enough and I might miss something cool from the sub

I really want to thank you for your time. I spoke to a lot of local people around me with this problem and no one could give me the proper advice like you did, including the "experts" who sold me this combo

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
The Low Pass Filter sets the upper boundary of what the sub will play. It's unclear from the manual, but I don't believe it applies to the type of connection you are using.

Phase affects how the sub performs in relation to the bass from other speakers and the room itself. Play bass heavy music and rotate the phase knob. Weak and thin is bad. Full and rich is good.

Auto power is handy. Otherwise you have to leave the sub on all the time or remember to turn it on and off when you turn the receiver on and off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How can the subwoofer tell which connection I am using? It has your normal Aux White and Red and then it has the Speaker Left and Right... I plugged it into the Aux White, which is correct right?

I ran the YPAO again.. It told me my center speaker's phase is out, but I do believe it is wrong.. Maybe it just says so because my center speaker is behind my TV. Anyway, it the YPAO set the settings like this:

> Subwoofer - Yes

> Front - Large

> Center - Large

> Surround- Large

> Crossover - 160 Hz

> SWFR Phase - NRM

> Extra Bass - OFF

>> Level

>>> SWFR - +-10%

It really doesn't like my subwoofer hey
But I've changed everything to Small, and changed the Crossover to 120Hz as you suggested. I'll do some tests another day as most people around me go to bed this time of night

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
The manual shows the correct connection on the sub when using the subwoofer preout on the receiver.

I think the sub's LPF is simply not applied to the input from the receiver's SW preout. It shouldn't be applied to that source as the whole point of that connection is to let the AVR control what the sub plays.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
I don't understand the subwoofer number you posted.

Is it

+10

or 10% (what would that mean?)

I'm not familiar with YPAO like the am with Audyssey or even Pioneers MCACC.

Not sure why your crossover is set at 160hz since you have tower speakers. I think the Yamaha only has a universal crossover which means it'll set them to your smallest set of speakers which are your surrounds. But the posted specs on those are 70 Hz - 20 kHz so I don't get the 160hz setting.

But since you have a sub all speakers should be set to SMALL.

Are you sure you have the RX-V371? Because according to Yamaha's website this model doesn't have YPAO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1468101/yamaha-rx-v371-stereo-music#post_23202912

+10

or 10% (what would that mean?)

On the AMP there is a bar indicating the volume of each speaker, but it doesn't give me a number and I was too lazy to go count how many dots there are to give you an exact volume level of each speaker level. So the +- 10% means that I'm taking a guess that the volume is more or less 10% on the volume meter of the amp :)

@BIslander, I've searched on the net for my subwoofer, and it seems (from the limited posts that I got), that it uses both Crossovers... You keep saying that it will ignore it the LPF because it is connected from the receiver's "preout". But how would the Subwoofer know this? The connection is exactly the same as when you would connect a normal speaker using Aux.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
It doesn't know that you are using that input. It may simply not apply the LPF to anything arriving there. Here's the deal: if the sub uses the 85Hz LPF, then it will never play any frequency higher than that, which makes no sense when connected to a receiver sending it frequencies up to 120 Hz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts