AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, as stated, I spotted locally for sale. I have been trying put off upgrade-itus but, the trusty Pioneer has no HDMI or digital audio.

I have a Sony EX440 upstairs paired with a Sony dvd & vcr. The EX doesn't have enough component / rca connections to make the Pioneer hook-up friendly anymore. I would like to know what owners here think of this unit. I will also be getting a Blu-ray in the future for the upstairs as well.

Saw this on Amaz. for $259 currently new, refurb for $180.

Due to room constraints, it'll only see 3 speakers for the time being, L/C/R.

Again, any input is appreciated, thank you.

Usage will be 40% movie, 60% music.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Feature-wise the only thing that it's missing is HDMI standby pass-through, which means that you need to have the receiver on in order to watch any of your sources. Also note that this DOES NOT convert your legacy video inputs to HDMI, so you'll need as many types of video out cables to your TV as you have types going in (e.g., composite, component and HDMI). It only plays their audio and passes through the video.

Power-wise it's entry-level, and doesn't have discrete amps. However with only three speakers at normal volume, it will probably be fine.

For a $125 convenience upgrade, it's worth it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Feature-wise the only thing that it's missing is HDMI standby pass-through, which means that you need to have the receiver on in order to watch any of your sources. Also note that this DOES NOT convert your legacy video inputs to HDMI, so you'll need as many types of video out cables to your TV as you have types going in (e.g., composite, component and HDMI). It only plays their audio and passes through the video.."

First off JBWIII, thank you very much for the heads up, as i definitely want the option to run it either way power-wise, and IF I'd still need all the cables, well, screw that. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

I guess I'll hold off then....I'm looking for something near entry-level [not too costly, and not complicated=other-half]

My goal was to hook up to the TV [sony BRAVIA KDL42EX440] and then ditch my DVD player. [older sony]

I was then going to also look into getting a blu-ray for this set-up.....but now, after thinking about it, is a blu-ray player a dying piece of equipment? Destined to be like a CD player?

Wouldn't it be wiser to just wait for say, a newer PS4 or Xbox? I'm assuming either of those can do everything a blu-ray player can do now?

What a can of worms this can be! Argh!

·
Registered
899 Posts
At least with the Yamaha line, you need at least the 675 to get video conversion.

Mind you, you don't need all of the wires. Even if you max out the video connections to the receiver (i.e., have four HDMI devices, three composite devices and two component devices), you'll need just one of each running to the TV. Still you'll have to change the inputs on the TV, which is a pain.

I have a Blu-ray player because I still use physical netflix as well as streaming. Up to you. If you want something primarily for streaming services, get a Roku. Xbox makes you pay for a gold membership to use your streaming services (which you also pay for). Not sure about the playstation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch, the RX-V675 is not in my cheap-ass budget....you didn't mean the RX-V673 did you? I'm thinking since the TV isn't a 'smart' unit, I'll go for the wireless part on either the receiver OR a blu-ray OR a future game console. I will however, keep a sony VCR in the lineup for the Mrs.

[eyeroll]

I just have to find a good entry style unit that can do video conversion for not a lot of $$$. I have a wii for netflix with the downstairs set up already. I lean toward Yamaha or Pioneer, since I've had good luck with their older models.

Bonus features would include a front USB so I can play music through the stereo, like I do in my car.

Hopefully something that can link up in a wireless manner to the other devices? Like the TV or disc player [console or BR]

My brain hurts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts