AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I picked up the v375 to replace a Denon AVR-1905 that blew up. I contemplated buying the v673 at a good price on Amazon, but decided I didn't really need the extra power or features, and liked the simplicity of the front panel of the v375. I am driving old Athena AS.B2/C2 speakers and a 12 inch Dayton sub.

I used the YPAO automatic calibration, which got close to the right parameters for most things. (Oddly it set surrounds to large, chose a cross over of 90 instead of 100, and it pegged the sub distance at 17 feet instead of the actual 10. I changed the first two of those things back manually.) However, when I ran my first movie at 0db it was uncomfortably loud and harsh (and the speakers were hissing). I turned it down to -10db, which was normal playback level on my Denon, but it was still much too loud. I finally settled at a comfortable level around -30db, which suggests the "reference" level must be around -20db. Is this normal for these receivers or did I mess something up? I thought it might be the calibration mic but when I play the test tones with volume at 0db, they are about the right level (and very quiet at -30db).

Anyone have any insight on what the problem might be? I might have to try a different receiver if I can't figure this out.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You shouldn't expect the same numerical db on two receivers to produce the same volume. The calibrations that YPAO and Audyssey perform are in relative, not absolute, terms. All they're trying to do is get flat frequency response with your speakers and placement, not lock in the system to some reference volume.

Nothing is wrong with your system.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. After a little more googling (see here for example) apparently it is only a THX certified system where 0db on the dial corresponds to 75db on the SPL meter. The nice thing about the Denon was I could easily adjust the master volume to get 0 to be virtually any level I wanted. I guess it's not a big deal but I gather none of the Yamaha receivers are THX certified (see here ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts