AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a new Yamaha RX-V377 receiver hooked to a Sony BDP S5100 and love the clean sound. I've played SACDs and Blu Ray disks and have no complaints. However, I tried to play a DVD-A James Taylor Concert disk and it would not play the video portion. The Sony's display showed 0:00 and I could make it start to play sound by hitting play on the Sony disk player, but the menu would not show on my HDTV. Same thing with the Beatles Love DVD-A. I unhooked the Yamaha receiver and ran the Sony HDMI out feed into my Samsung HDTV and both audio and video played. Oddly, I just returned a Yamaha RX-V373 because I had the exact same problem with Blu Ray disks. Now Blu Ray seems to be fine, but DVD-A is not. The user manual specifically mentions DVD-A as a supported format. Would love to hear that it's a simple fix that I should have known about.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It sounds like the audio plays, but the video is not being sent? I don't know what would cause that. You might chat with Yamaha support

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I tried that. It's why I returned the RX-V373, because support said video wasn't being passed through when I was unable to view Blu Rays. I am awaiting a reply from my "expedited" service ticket now for the same DVD-A problem with the RX-V377.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New information...I took the HDMI out feed that was going from the Sony BDP S5100 into the Yamaha HDMI IN (HDMI 1) and connected it to an HDMI IN on my tv. The TV has an optical out which goes to the Yamaha receiver that I would ordinarily use to put the tv sound into the surround sound components. Doing it this way enables me to see the video as well as hear the audio, but I'm not sure what the audio or video quality difference is by doing it that way.

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
What does the Sony player show about the disc's audio and video formats and bitrates? (Sony BD players have a more informative display than many other players have.)

Does the receiver have a display to show the format of the audio input signal? (Sorry, I don't know much about Yamaha equipment.)

Have you tried configuring the Blu-ray player to decode the audio into PCM instead of bit-streaming it?

Your symptoms are consistent with the on-disc audio's data format somehow being incompatible with what the receiver can decode.

HDMI transmits both audio and video over the same wires, with the audio being transmitted during the video signal's "vertical retrace interval" aka "vertical blanking interval", so the problem is unlikely to be in the cabling, for example.

Most TVs forward only stereo PCM over their digital audio outputs. The disc player detects that only a two-channel output is available and sends only a stereo PCM signal to the TV, even when the source material is multichannel. This format conversion does not happen when the player is connected directly to a multichannel audio device like the receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts