AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through the Yamaha RX-V3900 manual to see the features. I have read through numerous other receivers' and pre/pros' manuals as well, and my question is "why not?" for this unit. What would a more expensive unit such as a Marantz AV8003 really give me, with the exception of its lack of amplification (needs external amp)? I really like the Marantz unit, but am having trouble justifying it. I can get the Yamaha for less than $1500, tax included, from an authorized dealer.

The following list are features that I believe the Yamaha to have (and the ones I am interested in my receiver having), please correct me if I am wrong:

1. Video processing/scaling to 1080p

2. All latest HD audio codec support

3. 4 HDMI inputs, 2 out (1 out would be sufficient)

4. Preamp outputs, just in case

5. RJ45 ethernet connectivity for updates (not really interested in networking with PC or other items, just updates to stay current)

6. Automatic adjusting for room and speakers (similar to Audyssey)

7. 7 x 140W (obviously, not a specific requirement for me, just something comparible)

If anyone has another suggestion that meets my list, let me know so I can investigate. Also, if I have misinterpretted the manual in regards to a feature of the 3900, let me know as well.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have NO idea how good the VP is in the Marantz, nor the Yammy. However, the Marantz uses MultEQ for its rc.

I've ONLY used the MultEQ XT for rc, that's in my Onkyo 805. I am a huge fan, and perhaps there is something to be said for "expectations". I did a lot of research, well for me at least, on this stuff before purchasing. It was very high, if not tops, on my wanted feature list, of just a very small set of desired features.

Some people have had bad luck using it, and also there are many happy users of YPAO, MCAAC, and the like.

The biggest difference between XT and the regular MultEQ probably lies within the extra filters for SQ. I do know that XT applies hundreds of filters for very good resolution. I am a fanboy, but with nothing to compare it to.

Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/15427099

I have NO idea how good the VP is in the Marantz, nor the Yammy. However, the Marantz uses MultEQ for its rc.

I've ONLY used the MultEQ XT for rc, that's in my Onkyo 805. I am a huge fan, and perhaps there is something to be said for "expectations". I did a lot of research, well for me at least, on this stuff before purchasing. It was very high, if not tops, on my wanted feature list, of just a very small set of desired features.

Some people have had bad luck using it, and also there are many happy users of YPAO, MCAAC, and the like.

The biggest difference between XT and the regular MultEQ probably lies within the extra filters for SQ. I do know that XT applies hundreds of filters for very good resolution. I am a fanboy, but with nothing to compare it to.

Good luck.

Shows what I know...i have no idea what MultEQ, YPAO, or MCAAC are, and I've been researching thoroughly. it's just hard to find out what all the terms and features mean.

I just looked them up, and it seems like different names for similar things, with the Audyssey being slightly better. The Yamaha version of that would probably be sufficient for me. i cant imagine it making a huge difference, but it possibly could.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
It made a huge difference to me, but like I said, not everyone likes it.

That huge difference occurred AFTER installing nine large broadband treatments, totaling hundreds of pounds, with heavy curtains to boot (which covers half the treatments).

I don't think YPAO works in the time domain, but someone may correct me there. MCAAC does, and some people love that they can tweak EQ to personal preference after calibration.

You will also see Trinnov, France's direct competitor to Audyssey in some units. The new Outlaw pre/pro will have it, and some people look very forward to this... as some people have loved what XT does for the SWs resolution, but are not as keen on the correction to upper registers.

I personally loved what it did to everything. So much so, I immediately started looking towards implementing it into my stereo. Economies of scale don't really make it possible, outside of an HT receiver acting as stereo pre/pro, or the $2,000 Audyssey SEQ.

EDIT: the Trinnov can have correction above 300hz, IIRC, turned off as an option

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/15427390

It made a huge difference to me, but like I said, not everyone likes it.

That huge difference occurred AFTER installing nine large broadband treatments, totaling hundreds of pounds, with heavy curtains to boot (which covers half the treatments).

I don't think YPAO works in the time domain, but someone may correct me there. MCAAC does, and some people love that they can tweak EQ to personal preference after calibration.

You will also see Trinnov, France's direct competitor to Audyssey in some units. The new Outlaw pre/pro will have it, and some people look very forward to this... as some people have loved what XT does for the SWs resolution, but are not as keen on the correction to upper registers.

I personally loved what it did to everything. So much so, I immediately started looking towards implementing it into my stereo. Economies of scale don't really make it possible, outside of an HT receiver acting as stereo pre/pro, or the $2,000 Audyssey SEQ.

EDIT: the Trinnov can have correction above 300hz, IIRC, turned off as an option

The more I read about Audyssey and MultiEQ, the more I like it. I went to the Audyssey site, and looked at manufacturers that have it in their receivers. After doing a price/feature comparison, the Denon 3808 looks sweet. Any comments on it?

·
Registered
934 Posts
From a 3900 owner, the YPAO is better this year than in the past. It is a pretty good starting point and some people may even find it good enough to leave. The only thing I found was that is set my front mains to large when I wanted them to stay at small. The good thing though is you can manually choose which steps to do or not to do so I simply set them to small and skipped the "speaker check" section of the YPAO and ran it again.

From there out you can change any crossover you want, speaker distance, db gain, anything you want. It is very easy to do through the GUI and you don't need to be an expert to sit there and tweek until something sounds good to you. I have zero clue about the Marantz but I can say the 3900 is a fantastic receiver. If you do decide to get it chances are it will come shipped with the original 1.02 firmware. You should update to 1.04 firmware because there was an audio dropout issue that has been completely resolved with the firmware. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I'm a newbie in this forum; learned a lot from reading your posts. I'm also stuck between the denon 3808 and the yamaha rx-v3900. I went to my local BB Magnolia store and the staff highly recommends the yamaha over the denon. Any Yamaha 3900 owners can recommend or not recommend the yamaha over the denon? I'm just about to pick up my receiver as soon as I can get some feedback from any Yamaha owners.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I, too, was obviously torn between the two; however, the features on the Denon seemed a little better to me. The Audyssey MultiEQ XT was a great selling point. My room's acoustics will be difficult to manage, and that might help a lot. the Yamaha version of this doesn't appear to do nearly as good a job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.