AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I posted a couple threads over the past week or so, as I'm trying to narrow down what to buy in a $2k-$3k receiver pre-pro. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Pioneer Elite SC-07. I didn't know it existed, so I did some research and am wondering how it stacks up to the Yamahas.

I've read that the Pioneer uses Wolfson DACs (not sure if they're the "good" ones) and the Yamaha uses Burr-Browns (but not the better ones used in Denon's uberly $$ receiver & pre-pro).

I'm specifically wondering what your thoughts or experiences are with these receivers and if anyone's listened to them. I already have an external amp for the front channels, so I'm more concerned about the quality of the processing , DAC, and internals.

Specifically how do they compare with:

- DAC quality

- pre-amp quality

- build quality

- compressed music enhancer (listen to a lot of MP3s and internet radio)

- room correction technology

- PC/Internet radio connectivity

- 2 ch music quality using internal DACs (I enjoy clarity and detail, but no added brightness - just bringing out the most from what is recorded)

Also, do you know if you can hook up either directly to a PC (via USB), or do you still need a separate sound card to hook them up to?

Finally, are either set to be replaced in the near future?

Also, any other recommendations at this price range?

I appreciate advice to go with Onkyo or Integra, and it looks promising, but Onkyo only included 3 optical digital inputs (1 on front - I think), where I need at least 4. Onkyo really dropped the ball with that.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I'd like to add I could care less about video processing. The only HDMI cable I'll be sending to the receiver is from the blu-ray for the newer audio formats.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
the SC-05 and SC-07 use WM8740 DAC (same as used in the BDP-51/05FD)
Quote:
I'm specifically wondering what your thoughts or experiences are with these receivers and if anyone's listened to them. I already have an external amp for the front channels, so I'm more concerned about the quality of the processing , DAC, and internals

A lot of the technical information can be found on Pioneer's website and here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14470673

Us er's experiences and links to reviews can also be found on the first page..

hope that helps. good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts