AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Just a heads up right now you can pre order the RX-V663 from www.jr.com for a very great price. It's just a little bit more than what the MSRP is for the RX-V463. The RX-V663 adds some very nice features. You need to pre order via the phone though. Check the RX-V663 thread for details.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpark01 /forum/post/13242231

Any takes on the new Yamaha RX-V463 Receiver?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION

Sorry I'm almost completely audio illiterate, and I was wondering if this was capable of handling uncompressed PCM 5.1 from Blu-Ray Discs?

The 463 will handle multi-channel LPCM audio through HDMI. However, it won't do full 7.1 or the full Khz. The RX-V663 is really your best bet with the pre-order price as low as it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, so anybody know the shipping dates of this receiver and the other new lines of new Yamaha receivers?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpark01 /forum/post/13251013

Great, so anybody know the shipping dates of this receiver and the other new lines of new Yamaha receivers?

RXV-663 supposedly will ship within a couple of weeks or so. Dunno bout the others.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpark01 /forum/post/13251013

Not sure but I will let you know when I get mine in a few weeks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Everybody, I've been a long time looker and now 1st time poster. I've been looking to replace my old Yamaha HTR-5650 for awhile now to be able to have 5.1 uncompressed audio. I saw the V463 at Fry's for $299 and took a chance on it. I couldn't be happier. HDMI switching and High Def sound for under $300.

I'm curious to why not much is being said about this receiver. I know the 663 is is getting some love, but not the 463. Anyone else have this receiver?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Yea the V463 is a decent 5.1 channel receiver. However, it does not do the conversion from analog to digital so you can’t run a single HDMI cable to the TV and get all of your sources through it. That would have been a deal killer for me.

Also it does not do 192 Khz PCM. That is not really a big deal though. I doubt anyone could really hear the difference. I bet there are not that many 192 Khz tracks anyway.

The V463 also lacks the adaptive dynamic range compression feature. That is worth $100 to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MPG, Can you explain the analog to digital conversion? How is that different from the HDMI switching? I'm running a PS3 and a A3 HD-DVD through the Yamaha which is run on a single HDMI to my Samsung Plasma.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinla /forum/post/13518915

MPG, Can you explain the analog to digital conversion? How is that different from the HDMI switching? I'm running a PS3 and a A3 HD-DVD through the Yamaha which is run on a single HDMI to my Samsung Plasma.

I am not sure about this but I believe that HDMI switching means that it can accept two HDMI inputs and switch between them. However, it can only output a signal via HDMI that came in via HDMI.

The upconversion as Yamaha refers to it is the ability to convert analog signals to digital signals(Except 1080p from component cables) and then output them over a single HDMI cable.

The first item above is no different than an HDMI switch you buy from Monoprice.com for $40. The second thing is what you really want and is considerably more expensive to implement.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinla /forum/post/13516637

Hi Everybody, I've been a long time looker and now 1st time poster. I've been looking to replace my old Yamaha HTR-5650 for awhile now to be able to have 5.1 uncompressed audio. I saw the V463 at Fry's for $299 and took a chance on it. I couldn't be happier. HDMI switching and High Def sound for under $300.

I'm curious to why not much is being said about this receiver. I know the 663 is is getting some love, but not the 463. Anyone else have this receiver?

Hey I was curious, how is the bass reproduction when watching lossless audio?

Because I just recently purchased a cheaper Sony STR-DG810 and I'm not getting the bass I expect from a lossless track, and quite frankly I'm just not impressed about lossless audio overall, but it could be due to the quality of this Sony receiver...

I was considering returning this for the V463 to see if I would notice an upgrade in the quality of bass and in overall sound. Can you guys give me some insight on your experiences on the V463? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzlehd /forum/post/13526367

Because I just recently purchased a cheaper Sony STR-DG810 and I'm not getting the bass I expect from a lossless track, and quite frankly I'm just not impressed about lossless audio overall, but it could be due to the quality of this Sony receiver...

I was considering returning this for the V463 to see if I would notice an upgrade in the quality of bass and in overall sound. Can you guys give me some insight on your experiences on the V463? Thanks in advance

A speaker upgrade usually makes a bigger difference than a receiver upgrade. what speakers do you have?

With my ERA design 4 speakers the difference between standard Dolby Digital from DVDs and the lossless audio from Blu-rays is obvious. However, DTS and Dolby Digital at 640 Kbps is much closer to lossless.

I still can't tell the difference between Dolby Digital+ and Lossless. They both sound the same to me.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumbag78 /forum/post/13526091

I think only 2 channel lpcm is recorded at 192khz.

I believe TrueHD and DTS-HD MA both support up to 192khz. But I doubt any soundtracks with 192khz are available. I think 48khz is the current standard.

192khz is overkill from what I have read. As I understand it, the player would have to down sample to the rate specified by the receiver during the handshake if it was higher than the supported rate. Not ideal, but not necessarily an obvious difference in audio either.

It does surprise me that a receiver would not support 192khz though. They must be using a very cheap chip set.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/13517753

Yea the V463 is a decent 5.1 channel receiver. However, it does not do the conversion from analog to digital so you can't run a single HDMI cable to the TV and get all of your sources through it. That would have been a deal killer for me.

Also it does not do 192 Khz PCM. That is not really a big deal though. I doubt anyone could really hear the difference. I bet there are not that many 192 Khz tracks anyway.

The V463 also lacks the adaptive dynamic range compression feature. That is worth $100 to me.

This is why I went with the 663.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also wonder why no attention to the new 563 either. I just got the 663, but thats because JR had them for the same price as the 563. Maybe yamaha was on to something last year, when there was no "5 series" in the lineup.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabill /forum/post/13530019

I also wonder why no attention to the new 563 either. I just got the 663, but thats because JR had them for the same price as the 563. Maybe yamaha was on to something last year, when there was no "5 series" in the lineup.

Again ADRC and pre-outs are worth $100 to me. Other than that the receivers(563 and 663) are pretty similar.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzlehd /forum/post/13526367

I'm using M & K speakers and sub and the bass is deep and explosive. I've set the crossover to 90 and my room shakes. Just watched I Robot on Blu and just the DTS core is an amazing audio experience.

Curious though, I don't hear any difference when selecting "Straight" "Direct" or just "PCM" for the soundfield. Should there be a difference?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had this receiver for over a week and I've been thoroughly impressed. It may not have some of those fancier features but for 299 its a steal.

Yeah the bass on this receiver is great, I was quite surprised. Far better than my old Onkyo receiver.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts